From: Rowland McDonnell on
Martin S Taylor <mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell wrote
> > Can anyone advise? I've got an Intel iMac and MacOS X 10.6.4 and I'd
> > like a secure installation of GPG with a GUI - what's the best download
> > to go for and what bits do I need?
>
> On <http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/> you can download GNU Privacy Guard 1.4.9,
> GPG Keychain Access (to allow you to access existing Keychains) and the mail
> program, which Elliott gave a link to.

Righto - thanks for that. One minor problem is that I use Mailsmith,
not Mail.app.

> I've also downloaded GPGFileTool which should let me encrypt freestanding
> files, but doesn't seem to work. Any help, anyone?

So I'll probably want to be doing this job...

Cheers,
Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Elliott Roper <nospam(a)yrl.co.uk> wrote:

> Martin S Taylor <mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:
>
> > Rowland McDonnell wrote
> > > Can anyone advise? I've got an Intel iMac and MacOS X 10.6.4 and I'd
> > > like a secure installation of GPG with a GUI - what's the best download
> > > to go for and what bits do I need?
> >
> > On <http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/> you can download GNU Privacy Guard
> > 1.4.9, GPG Keychain Access (to allow you to access existing Keychains)
> > and the mail program, which Elliott gave a link to.
> >
> > I've also downloaded GPGFileTool which should let me encrypt freestanding
> > files, but doesn't seem to work. Any help, anyone?
>
> I never found one once I gave up on PGP Corp. I use gpg from the
> command line or from Emacs.

Hmm - while I never really got to grips with Applescript, surely it
can't be that hard to write an Applescript that'll accept a file pointer
as an argument, then pass the pointer to a command line that'll encrypt
as required?

Any suggestions from anyone?

Rowland.

From: Martin S Taylor on
Elliott Roper wrote
>> I've also downloaded GPGFileTool which should let me encrypt freestanding
>> files, but doesn't seem to work. Any help, anyone?
>
> I never found one once I gave up on PGP Corp. I use gpg from the
> command line or from Emacs.

Can't be bothered with that. TrueCrypt does what I need and includes the
wonderful feature of encrypting a dummy file so that if someone puts a gun to
your head and forces you to reveal the password, you can reveal the password
to the dummy file and the law-enforcement agent has no way to prove there's
anything else hidden.

MST

From: Elliott Roper on
In article <0001HW.C87E1E0C00DBA2E5B01029BF(a)news.virginmedia.com>,
Martin S Taylor <mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:

> Elliott Roper wrote
> >> I've also downloaded GPGFileTool which should let me encrypt freestanding
> >> files, but doesn't seem to work. Any help, anyone?
> >
> > I never found one once I gave up on PGP Corp. I use gpg from the
> > command line or from Emacs.
>
> Can't be bothered with that. TrueCrypt does what I need and includes the
> wonderful feature of encrypting a dummy file so that if someone puts a gun to
> your head and forces you to reveal the password, you can reveal the password
> to the dummy file and the law-enforcement agent has no way to prove there's
> anything else hidden.

OK. Makes sense. But what's to stop him giving you one more whack with
the rubber hose just in case?
<sickly grin from newly vacant gums>

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-08-03 19:31:29 +0100, Elliott Roper said:

> In article <0001HW.C87E1E0C00DBA2E5B01029BF(a)news.virginmedia.com>,
> Martin S Taylor <mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:
>
>> Elliott Roper wrote
>>>
>>> I never found one once I gave up on PGP Corp. I use gpg from the
>>> command line or from Emacs.
>>
>> Can't be bothered with that. TrueCrypt does what I need and includes the
>> wonderful feature of encrypting a dummy file so that if someone puts a gun to
>> your head and forces you to reveal the password, you can reveal the password
>> to the dummy file and the law-enforcement agent has no way to prove there's
>> anything else hidden.
>
> OK. Makes sense. But what's to stop him giving you one more whack with
> the rubber hose just in case?
> <sickly grin from newly vacant gums>

TrueCrypt is detectable, AIUI. Not really looked into it too hard. Your
best bet is to publically say you've forgotten the password.
--
Chris

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4