From: Rowland McDonnell on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> Elliott Roper said:
>
> > Martin S Taylor <mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:
> >
> >> Elliott Roper wrote

> >> Can't be bothered with that. TrueCrypt does what I need and includes
> >> the wonderful feature of encrypting a dummy file so that if someone
> >> puts a gun to your head and forces you to reveal the password, you can
> >> reveal the password to the dummy file and the law-enforcement agent has
> >> no way to prove there's anything else hidden.
> >
> > OK. Makes sense. But what's to stop him giving you one more whack with
> > the rubber hose just in case?
> > <sickly grin from newly vacant gums>
>
> TrueCrypt is detectable, AIUI.

How do you mean? That is: what *isn't* detectable, encryption-wise?

> Not really looked into it too hard. Your
> best bet is to publically say you've forgotten the password.

Haven't people done that in court and copped a fine for refusal anyway?

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Martin S Taylor <mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:

> Elliott Roper wrote
> >> I've also downloaded GPGFileTool which should let me encrypt freestanding
> >> files, but doesn't seem to work. Any help, anyone?
> >
> > I never found one once I gave up on PGP Corp. I use gpg from the
> > command line or from Emacs.
>
> Can't be bothered with that. TrueCrypt does what I need and includes the
> wonderful feature of encrypting a dummy file so that if someone puts a gun to
> your head and forces you to reveal the password, you can reveal the password
> to the dummy file and the law-enforcement agent

[snip]

<cough>

In the UK at least, there are no law *enforcement* agents as such. Our
police aren't supposed to *enforce* the law at all.

The job, as I understand it, is basically `nicking villans and
maintaining the Queen's peace' sortathing.

(little bro was a Special once[1] - I forget *exactly* how he described
it to me...)

Rowland.

[1] In the Met Police. He left after a Met copper tried to do him for
speeding without evidence except for what he'd just made up. Little bro
convinced the magistrates of the truth and the full-time copper didn't
half get a slapping from the bench.

When the Met did *ME* for speeding on the basis of purely fictional
evidence, I failed to convince the magistrates. Back in the 80s, the
Met were total bastards.

From: Martin S Taylor on
Rowland McDonnell wrote
> In the UK at least, there are no law *enforcement* agents as such. Our
> police aren't supposed to *enforce* the law at all.
>
> The job, as I understand it, is basically `nicking villans and
> maintaining the Queen's peace' sortathing.

Isn't that what enforcing the law means?

MST

From: Woody on
Martin S Taylor <mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:
> Rowland McDonnell wrote
>> In the UK at least, there are no law *enforcement* agents as such.
> > Our
>> police aren't supposed to *enforce* the law at all.
>>
>> The job, as I understand it, is basically `nicking villans and
>> maintaining the Queen's peace' sortathing.
>
> Isn't that what enforcing the law means?

I would have thought so but you're the barrister, you tell us!
Or is that just relating to coffee?

--
Woody
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Martin S Taylor <mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell wrote
> > In the UK at least, there are no law *enforcement* agents as such. Our
> > police aren't supposed to *enforce* the law at all.
> >
> > The job, as I understand it, is basically `nicking villans and
> > maintaining the Queen's peace' sortathing.
>
> Isn't that what enforcing the law means?

Enforcing the law is when you force people to follow it, rather than
`keep a lid on public disorder and haul in those who break the law' as
our plod are supposed to do. AIUI, IANAL.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
http://www.mag-uk.org http://www.bmf.co.uk
UK biker? Join MAG and the BMF and stop the Eurocrats banning biking
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: iPad case
Next: MacBook Pro Failure