From: ruben on
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 17:27:59 -0800, ccc31807 wrote:

> The competition between Java and .NET may or may not impact the Perl
> community

ugg

Trolling..
From: smallpond on
On Dec 21, 7:25 pm, ccc31807 <carte...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> My take FWIW is that we are
> experiencing a great explosion of languages and technologies:

Your premise is wrong. There has always been an explosion of
languages. Compare APL, SAIL, Lisp, Smalltalk and BLISS for a
range of old languages which are groundbreakingly different.
By comparison, perl is indistinguishable from python.

(You wanted a troll, I'll give you a troll!).

If anything, the range of choices has narrowed in recent years.
Some of the languages that you mention are just new syntax with
no real new capabilities at all.

> dice.com has 9,800 jobs posted with 'Java' as a key word, and 4,700
> with 'C#' as a key word, for whatever that's worth.

It means there are a lot of buggy Java and C# programs waiting to
be fixed?
From: ccc31807 on
On Dec 22, 9:32 am, smallpond <smallp...(a)juno.com> wrote:
> Your premise is wrong. There has always been an explosion of
> languages.  Compare APL, SAIL, Lisp, Smalltalk and BLISS for a
> range of old languages which are groundbreakingly different.
> By comparison, perl is indistinguishable from python.

My personal experience does not go back but about ten years, so I
can't witness from personal experience, but ISTM that we are seeing a
great explosion in /scripting/ technologies (someone told me I omitted
JavaScript, Ajax, and ActionScript-Flex). I would agree that these has
always been a number of languages, but can you honestly say that that
there has ever been this number of /scripting/ languages that people
are using? I don't think that this is a revival of /scripting/
languages so much as a new-vival.

> (You wanted a troll, I'll give you a troll!).

I did a project in Python about eight years ago, which is still
running and which I revisit from time to time. Whether or not Python
and Perl are indistinguishable depends on what you are distinguishing.

> It means there are a lot of buggy Java and C# programs waiting to
> be fixed?

Yes, but there are a lot of buggy Perl/Python/whatever programs
waiting to be fixed as well.

Did you read the article in the Register that I linked to? If so, from
a Perl programmer's perspective, what do you think of the premise, and
how do you think it will impact Perl in the next decade?

Thanks, CC.
From: Charlton Wilbur on

cc> But I'm wondering (inquiring minds want to know) -- What's the
cc> feeling in the Perl community with respect to the competition of
cc> Java and C#? Should Java prevail over C#? Or should C# dominate
cc> Java? Or does the community really care one way or another?
cc> Which is better for Perl, and which is worse?

I think the single bit of idiocy that I'm most tired of is the notion
that everything is a zero-sum game -- that for one thing to win, another
thing must fail. And nowhere is this idiocy more apparent than in
language advocacy.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur
cwilbur(a)chromatico.net
From: ccc31807 on
On Dec 22, 11:40 am, Charlton Wilbur <cwil...(a)chromatico.net> wrote:
> I think the single bit of idiocy that I'm most tired of is the notion
> that everything is a zero-sum game -- that for one thing to win, another
> thing must fail.  And nowhere is this idiocy more apparent than in
> language advocacy.

I agree, mostly.

But note ... Microsoft seems to be embracing all different sorts of
communities:
* bit twiddlers with C++/CLI (which I have had recent experience with
and which I think MS did a great job with)
* the OO crowd with C#
* functional programmers with F#
* the web developers with ASP.NET
* even hackers with PowerShell

There's also such a thing as a critical mass, when at a particular
size a technology becomes unstoppable. There's also such a thing as
synergy, with the whole of something being greater than the parts,
meaning the .NET framework.

I have a friend who is convinced that in ten years we all will have
adopted the MS .NET framework and will be loving it, and Perl will
just wither away. This is actually the reason I posted this thread.

This is a zero sum game in respect of Big Companies with lots of
hiring power who dictate that all will use Language X, to the
exclusion of everything else -- which is not to say that Big Companies
won't go the way of Big Reptiles, while the little, furry, warm
blooded creatures will not only survive but flourish.

CC.