From: Randal L. Schwartz on

ccc31807> dice.com has 9,800 jobs posted with 'Java' as a key word,

And how many of those are actually clueless headhunters posting for JavaScript
positions, not realizing that Java has nothing to do with JavaScript?

<merlyn(a)stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
From: Ben Morrow on
[I really shouldn't...]

Quoth ccc31807 <cartercc(a)gmail.com>:
> On Dec 22, 9:32�am, smallpond <smallp...(a)juno.com> wrote:
> > Your premise is wrong. There has always been an explosion of
> > languages. �Compare APL, SAIL, Lisp, Smalltalk and BLISS for a
> > range of old languages which are groundbreakingly different.
> > By comparison, perl is indistinguishable from python.
>
> My personal experience does not go back but about ten years, so I
> can't witness from personal experience, but ISTM that we are seeing a
> great explosion in /scripting/ technologies (someone told me I omitted
> JavaScript, Ajax, and ActionScript-Flex). I would agree that these has
> always been a number of languages, but can you honestly say that that
> there has ever been this number of /scripting/ languages that people
> are using? I don't think that this is a revival of /scripting/
> languages so much as a new-vival.

Generally speaking 'scripting' is a statement about use rather than
about the language itself. If you mean 'dynamically-typed JIT-compiled
garbage-collected VM-based eval-supporting languages' then those are
just five of the properties of Lisp (two others, 'conditionals' and
'recursion' are universal in modern languages).

Most are, in fact, explicitly derived from Perl (Python, Ruby, PHP and
JavaScript were all written by people extremely familiar with Perl, and
looking to fix some perceived deficiency; ActionScript is (IIRC) just a
bodged-up version of JavaScript). The most notable exception is Tcl,
which (AFAICT) is more-or-less dying.

> > (You wanted a troll, I'll give you a troll!).
>
> I did a project in Python about eight years ago, which is still
> running and which I revisit from time to time. Whether or not Python
> and Perl are indistinguishable depends on what you are distinguishing.

Yes, but looking at them from Lisp, or Fortran, or Haskell, or TeX, or
Prolog, or even C, they are so close as to make no difference. Anything
you could reasonably write in Perl you could reasonably write in Python,
and vice versa. (Similarly Java and C#, I expect, though I haven't used
either in anger.)

> Did you read the article in the Register that I linked to? If so, from
> a Perl programmer's perspective, what do you think of the premise, and
> how do you think it will impact Perl in the next decade?

I have no opinion on such matters. Prophesy is generally a futile
exercise, especially regarding anything as fickle as fashion.

Ben

From: ccc31807 on
On Dec 22, 12:36 pm, mer...(a)stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

> And how many of those are actually clueless headhunters posting for JavaScript
> positions, not realizing that Java has nothing to do with JavaScript?

Probably ninety percent.

Yeah, it's a lousy metric, but it's quick and simple and at least
grossly indicative.

CC.
From: Martijn Lievaart on
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 06:32:56 -0800, smallpond wrote:

> On Dec 21, 7:25 pm, ccc31807 <carte...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> My take FWIW is that we are
>> experiencing a great explosion of languages and technologies:
>
> Your premise is wrong. There has always been an explosion of languages.
> Compare APL, SAIL, Lisp, Smalltalk and BLISS for a range of old
> languages which are groundbreakingly different. By comparison, perl is
> indistinguishable from python.

You forgot Prolog, Mouse and Forth. :-)

M4
From: Charlton Wilbur on

cc> I have a friend who is convinced that in ten years we all will
cc> have adopted the MS .NET framework and will be loving it, and
cc> Perl will just wither away. This is actually the reason I posted
cc> this thread.

And I'm sure that someone in this newsgroup has a friend that is
convinced that the world will end in 2012. Many people belive many
idiotic things, and their belief is not sufficient to make things true.

cc> This is a zero sum game in respect of Big Companies with lots of
cc> hiring power who dictate that all will use Language X, to the
cc> exclusion of everything else -- which is not to say that Big
cc> Companies won't go the way of Big Reptiles, while the little,
cc> furry, warm blooded creatures will not only survive but
cc> flourish.

Except that there are lots of Big Companies, and the pool of programmers
is growing.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur