From: ccc31807 on
See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/17/dot_net_noughties/

Perl hackers seem to be platform agnostic, although with a Unix
history and bias. Probably 98% of the scripts I write are for Windows
applications and for users on Windows machines, and ActiveState
probably accounts for a substantial percentage of Perl Environments.

Java hackers seem to be the same. All of the Java programmers I know
write applications targeted toward Windows systems, and all of the
Java applications I've worked on target Windows.

In the past couple of years, I've had conversations with C#
developers, and they all say great things about C#. I consider some of
the people very bright and accomplished folks, and am inclined to give
a great weight to their opinions. My own experience with C# is slight,
so I can only rely on the opinions of those who use C# and .NET.
However, one thing C# and .NET is /not/ is platform agnostic.

I don't feel that I have a dog in this fight, and it's immaterial
whether Java or C# is in the ascendancy.My take FWIW is that we are
experiencing a great explosion of languages and technologies: Perl,
Python, Erlang, Scala, Ruby (maybe), Clojure, even Common Lisp seems
to be coming back (Seibel's book was a best seller on Amazon, and both
O'Reilly and No Starch Press have new Common Lisp books coming out
early 2010). Even C seems like it's holding its own. Whatever your
problem is, you can find a technology to write an answer, and you
don't need either Java or C#.

But I'm wondering (inquiring minds want to know) -- What's the feeling
in the Perl community with respect to the competition of Java and C#?
Should Java prevail over C#? Or should C# dominate Java? Or does the
community really care one way or another? Which is better for Perl,
and which is worse?

dice.com has 9,800 jobs posted with 'Java' as a key word, and 4,700
with 'C#' as a key word, for whatever that's worth.

CC.
From: Ben Morrow on

Quoth ccc31807 <cartercc(a)gmail.com>:

> In the past couple of years, I've had conversations with C#
> developers, and they all say great things about C#. I consider some of
> the people very bright and accomplished folks, and am inclined to give
> a great weight to their opinions. My own experience with C# is slight,
> so I can only rely on the opinions of those who use C# and .NET.
> However, one thing C# and .NET is /not/ is platform agnostic.

You may wish to google 'mono'. AFAIK it's not complete, but is usable.

> But I'm wondering (inquiring minds want to know) -- What's the feeling
> in the Perl community with respect to the competition of Java and C#?
> Should Java prevail over C#? Or should C# dominate Java? Or does the
> community really care one way or another? Which is better for Perl,
> and which is worse?

In what way is this question remotely on topic?

Ben

From: ccc31807 on
On Dec 21, 7:54 pm, Ben Morrow <b...(a)morrow.me.uk> wrote:
> In what way is this question remotely on topic?

According to the posting guidelines, c.l.p.m. exists for discussing
Perl related issues. The competition between Java and .NET may or may
not impact the Perl community, but it will impact the general
environment. Certainly, the question of the effect (and outcome) of
competition between Java and C# on the Perl community is fair game for
discussion.

No, it's not a technical issue, but I would say that it's a meta-issue
and therefore still an issue.

Thanks, CC.
From: Sherm Pendley on
ccc31807 <cartercc(a)gmail.com> writes:

> But I'm wondering (inquiring minds want to know) -- What's the feeling
> in the Perl community with respect to the competition of Java and C#?

More or less the same as I feel about the competition between hammers
and screwdrivers.

> dice.com has 9,800 jobs posted with 'Java' as a key word, and 4,700
> with 'C#' as a key word, for whatever that's worth.

Which makes 14,500 jobs for those of use who are *not* afflicted with
language religion.

sherm--
From: J�rgen Exner on
ccc31807 <cartercc(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>But I'm wondering (inquiring minds want to know) -- What's the feeling
>in the Perl community with respect to the competition of Java and C#?
>Should Java prevail over C#? Or should C# dominate Java?

Isn't that obvious? Of course Perl should prevail, what else?

jue