From: ccc31807 on
On Dec 22, 6:11 pm, Justin C <justin.0...(a)purestblue.com> wrote:
> There is no explosion in scripting languages,

For another pretty gross metric, check out the books published for the
different technologies. Maybe 'explosion' isn't exactly right, but the
developing world (no pun intended) is certainly becoming Balkanized.
Read the job announcements -- most read like they were tailor made for
one particular individual with somewhat idiosyncratic experience.

> The bottom line is your Java/C# 'debate' is a non-debate.

Maybe, maybe not. If you read the article I linked to, and read the
blog entries (I believe this may have been on slashdot) you will see
that others don't agree with you.

I think Java is a pretty good technology, although I don't use it a
lot. I'm also impressed by .NET, particularly C++/CLR. You might say
that it's a non-debate, but you can't say that it isn't a ferocious
competition, with MS out to slay Java, and Java out to maintain its
dominance. Will this affect Perl? And if so, how?

CC.
From: John Bokma on
Sherm Pendley <spamtrap(a)shermpendley.com> writes:

> ccc31807 <cartercc(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I interview for jobs occasionally, and it's typical to be told, "If
>> you work here, you will use X." Would I not be a 'real programmer' if
>> I accepted a position under these conditions and wrote only in X?
>
> Like I said - real programmers will learn and use whatever is required.
> Sometimes those requirements are driven by technical constraints; more
> often, it's the result of a boss saying "use X."
>
> The wannabe programmer would refuse that job on the basis that he's a
> "Y programmer" and won't use anything else. Or, given the current state
> of the economy, he'd take the job and then whine and moan endlessly
> about how much X sucks.

I don't understand how someone who wants to program Y and detests X so
much shows up on a job interview for X.

Anyway, I wouldn't take a job that requires me to program in PHP
(anymore). I do detest that language, and no, I am not a wannabe
programmer and no I don't have a problem with learning new languages.

Programming must be fun.

--
John Bokma

Read my blog: http://johnbokma.com/
Hire me (Perl/Python): http://castleamber.com/
From: Sherm Pendley on
John Bokma <john(a)castleamber.com> writes:

> I don't understand how someone who wants to program Y and detests X so
> much shows up on a job interview for X.

I've seen a candidate show up for an interview where the ad clearly
stated we needed someone to help maintain some existing Perl code. He
dodged all of the questions about Perl, and basically tried to convince
us to scrap it all and rewrite it in Java.

No, I'm not joking. Needless to say, the interview didn't last long...

> Anyway, I wouldn't take a job that requires me to program in PHP
> (anymore).

<shrug> Your loss. I'll take that money if you don't want it. ;-)

sherm--
From: John Bokma on
Sherm Pendley <spamtrap(a)shermpendley.com> writes:

> John Bokma <john(a)castleamber.com> writes:
>
>> I don't understand how someone who wants to program Y and detests X so
>> much shows up on a job interview for X.
>
> I've seen a candidate show up for an interview where the ad clearly
> stated we needed someone to help maintain some existing Perl code. He
> dodged all of the questions about Perl, and basically tried to convince
> us to scrap it all and rewrite it in Java.
>
> No, I'm not joking. Needless to say, the interview didn't last long...

:-D I am sure you're not joking. But still I don't understand what
people are thinking when they do so.

>> Anyway, I wouldn't take a job that requires me to program in PHP
>> (anymore).
>
> <shrug> Your loss. I'll take that money if you don't want it. ;-)

If you really want it, email me. I do get now and then asked if I can do
PHP coding and I really don't want to do it anymore. I know my
limitations, and just do not want to learn (more) PHP [1] if I can avoid
it. It's the same reason why I didn't like German as a language much,
too similar to Dutch (my 1st language). While I can switch between
programming languages, it eats up time, and in my experience more if the
languages are somewhat similar.

I want to get better at Perl and get much better at Python. And then
there is Haskell, LUA, Ruby, and Perl 6 (somewhere in the future). So
many languages, so little time.

Hope this all doesn't make me a programming n00b :D. (j/k)

[1] despite having recently bought two good books on PHP.