From: Bruce on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:38:16 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
<ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:

>And who is the landowner of this zoo? It's "the people" who pay for it with
>their taxes and the admission fee.

If the people owned the zoo, there would be no admission fee.

You do not own the zoo.

From: Pete Stavrakoglou on
"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:38:16 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
> <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>And who is the landowner of this zoo? It's "the people" who pay for it
>>with
>>their taxes and the admission fee.
>

> If the people owned the zoo, there would be no admission fee.
>
> You do not own the zoo.

Ridiculous. So then tell us, who owns the zoo?

From: Paul Furman on
Charles Chase wrote:
> The same is true of that idiocy in France with their obnoxious Eiffel
> Tower. Either take it down or don't complain about people taking
> photographs of it for their own gain. You silly-assed french tw

Try filming a TV commercial in any American city with recognizable
modern architecture in it. Advertisers take their operations overseas or
create elaborate sets and CG rather than pay the exorbitant copyright fees.
From: Pete Stavrakoglou on
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:42:02 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
> <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote
>>> The fact the zoo is owned by an entity that is publicly supported does
>>> not make it "public" in the sense that you imply. For one thing, if
>>> it was public, there would be no need for an admission charge.
>>>
>>> Paying to gain admission entitles you to reasonable enjoyment of the
>>> facilities of the zoo, including photography for personal use. It is
>>> not reasonable to expect paying the admission fee to grant you
>>> commercial rights over any images you take while you are there.
>>>
>>> The zoo clearly has put in place a separate arrangement whereby
>>> photographers who wish to sell images taken at the zoo are asked to
>>> pay an additional fee.
>>>
>>> So I'm sorry, but the zoo is right. And no amount of libertarian
>>> posturing is going to make the zoo wrong. If you want to sell your
>>> LA Zoo pictures, pay up!
>>

>>Sorry, you are wrong about the admission fee making it "not public". It
>>is
>>a public zoo funded by the public. The admission fee simply goes towards
>>the funding, just like the taxes do. It is still public. Our state parks
>>are public even though we have to pay a fee to enter them. They are not
>>private.
>

> I didn't say that the admission fee made it "not public". But the zoo
> is entitled to make a charge for admission, just as it is entitled to
> make a charge for commercial photography.
>
> If you assert that it cannot legally make a charge for commercial
> photography, then you must also assert that it cannot legally make a
> charge for admission. That would be nonsense, wouldn't it?

Apples and oranges. The only nonsense is in that statement is trying to
connect the two.

> The zoo grants paying visitors a privilege by allowing photography on
> its land for personal use only, but that is a privilege, not a right.
>
> The zoo has chosen to assert its image rights, which it is entitled to
> do. It will sell you a licence to make images and sell them
> commercially, which is entitled to do. It will allow you to make
> images for your own personal use, which it is entitled to do. It will
> assert its right to prevent sale of images taken for personal use,
> which it is entitled to do.

The question becomes "does the zoo have any image rights to assert?". Since
it is a tax-payer funded, i.e.
"public" zoo, then perhaps the tax payers have the image rights, not the
zoo.

> It has done all this for the overall benefit of the zoo, its owners
> and the public, which it is entitled to do.

What benefit is their to the public?

>>The zoo has no right even though they may claim to.
>

> The zoo has every right.
>

>>Simply putting in place a policy doesn't make anything legal.
>

> Then sue the zoo.

No, the zoo should sue the photog whom they are demanding not print their
images for sale. Let them challenge it.

>>Even laws that are passed and enacted are later ruled to be illegal.
>

> Then sue them.

Uhh, that's how they are ruled as illegal or unconstituional. What part of
that do you fail to understand?

From: Martin Brown on
Pete Stavrakoglou wrote:
> "Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:38:16 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
>> <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>>> And who is the landowner of this zoo? It's "the people" who pay for it
>>> with
>>> their taxes and the admission fee.
>>
>> If the people owned the zoo, there would be no admission fee.
>>
>> You do not own the zoo.

And you entered into a contract with them when you bought the admission
ticket. I expect the photographic image rights restrictions are in the
small print somewhere.

> Ridiculous. So then tell us, who owns the zoo?

By the looks of it land is either vested in GLAZA
http://www.lazoo.org/glaza/

or the Los Angeles City authorities in some form.

Clearly since it has hours of opening and excludes the public entirely
on at least one day a year there are no public rights of way through it.

You can get exactly the same issues photographing inside a privately
owned shopping mall. Some of them even have no photography signs.

Regards,
Martin Brown