From: Bert Hyman on
In news:hsmip3$173v$1(a)news.ett.com.ua Hector Santos <sant9442(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> You do realize that this is a "Network" of computers and that there is
> really a "backbone" concept and that really a "LIST" that you are
> managing?

The backbone died along with UUCP.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com
From: Hector Santos on
Btw Bobf,

Have you notice the the these other public servers, like
news.ett.com.ua, are suddenly behaving more slowly and unreliable. I
had trouble posting my last two messages. I'm not posting this off
news.aioe.org.

This is the sort of thing that will be predictable. Once people are
forced to find other sources, nothing comes for free, they will
provide the bandwidth that they can handle.

Eventually, if there is going to be any survival of a "microsoft"
group, someone, usually very big, will have to act as the concentrated
central source again.

Not every node wants usenet, but they may want "Microsoft.*" now they
need to find someone that will at least keep the list, separated or
not from the usenet list.

From: Bert Hyman on
In news:hsmj5q$vtv$1(a)speranza.aioe.org Hector Santos
<sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

> Eventually, if there is going to be any survival of a "microsoft"
> group, someone, usually very big, will have to act as the concentrated
> central source again.

Nah... There are scores of newsgroups that have far more traffic than
anything you could imagine on the microsoft.* hierarchy, and they're
distributed worldwide just fine.

If you're not happy with the performance of your free news server, there
are lots of places you can get service for a nominal cost. You might
even find a "boutique" internet provider in your hometown that still
provides USENET as part of the package; my own ISP is one.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com
From: Hector Santos on
Bert Hyman wrote:

> In news:hsmip3$173v$1(a)news.ett.com.ua Hector Santos <sant9442(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> You do realize that this is a "Network" of computers and that there is
>> really a "backbone" concept and that really a "LIST" that you are
>> managing?
>
> The backbone died along with UUCP.

The transport method did, but not the "backbone" distribution concept
per se.

These are still old guards that want to get paid. Try to go get mail
from giganews.com or from other major providers for free.

If you follow the path of any of these "free" peering servers,
including fee based ones, they all lead to a pretty small set of
"backbone" providers everyone feeds off directly or indirectly.

Here are some information:

http://www.top1000.org/

When you have a topology where most of the servers peer off the
giganews.com and other top providers, we are talking a still a star
and backbone concept. Giganews.com isn't going to peer off me or you.

==
HLS
From: Hector Santos on
Bert Hyman wrote:

> In news:hsmj5q$vtv$1(a)speranza.aioe.org Hector Santos
> <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Eventually, if there is going to be any survival of a "microsoft"
>> group, someone, usually very big, will have to act as the concentrated
>> central source again.
>
> Nah... There are scores of newsgroups that have far more traffic than
> anything you could imagine on the microsoft.* hierarchy, and they're
> distributed worldwide just fine.

And many were transparently already removed and you didn't notice it.

And not, not world wide, because many nodes do honor the control
messages and those groups will not be part of the specific server
listing. Try it, get a listing from multiple servers and do a diff
and see that not all the groups are PERSISENT in this "usenet" of yours.

> If you're not happy with the performance of your free news server, there
> are lots of places you can get service for a nominal cost. You might
> even find a "boutique" internet provider in your hometown that still
> provides USENET as part of the package; my own ISP is one.

Nah, I can get it off my T1 provider if I choose too. I did long ago,
no longer. I have no need to pull unnecessary growth of junk plus we
are private support system and most people interested in microsoft
discussion areas are interested in avenues that are closer to the
vendor sponsor areas.

Once MS is no longer the sponsor, these Microsoft.* will effectively
die leaving it to a small hangout of dedicated hard heads that think
everything is free, open and the same across the board.

--
HLS
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last