From: Hector Santos on
Small update that reports authentication is needed:

http://beta.winserver.com/public/files/getnewsgroups11.zip

Example:

getnewsgroups privatenews.microsoft.com

* -----------------------------------------
* Host Server : privatenews.microsoft.com
# Waiting for Welcome
# Creating newsgroup file: privatenews.microsoft.com.newsgroups
# Waiting for list newsgroups
480 Logon Required
# Quiting

--
HLS

From: Peter Olcott on

"Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
> Bert Hyman wrote:
>
>> In news:A-adnbTafdFTKnPWnZ2dnUVZ_tOdnZ2d(a)giganews.com
>> "Peter Olcott"
>> <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:
>>> A link that Hector provided indicated that the last step
>>> will be to send a delete message to all servers such
>>> that the actual newsgroups will be deleted unless
>>> specific action is taken to make sure to ignore this
>>> message.
>>
>> Every reference I've seen was to an individual, Juli?n
>> ?lie, who's not
>> connected to Microsoft and has chosen to issue these
>> messages on his
>> own. "Control articles for that hierarchy are not issued
>> by Microsoft
>> itself but by a Usenet active participant in
>> order to improve
>> the quality of the propagation of Microsoft
>> newsgroups."
>>
>> http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/index.py?see=MICROSOFT
>>
>> The management of at least one public server has
>> indicated that he'll be
>> ignoring any control messages originating from that
>> source.
>

> UseNet is a basically a "LIST" file that list
>
> Once nodes that honor control commands automatically
> (meaning by people that don't sit at their servers
> deciding who to keep or not), especially the main
> "backbone" ones, they will slowly be OFF the network of
> nodes withing "USENET."
>
> Which basically means that there will less "servers" that
> people will find that carry them and only those smaller
> network links will exchange mail will have it, like that
> one server you mentioned. He might want to keep them
> around if only to keep the appearance of "richness" for
> his peer links, but empty groups are not rich.
>
> Again it is a LIST. Overall these smaller "network" still
> keeping older copies of the "LIST" peering off main chains
> or one or two hops off the main chains, the giganews.com
> and others like it, they may have the LIST but no or
> lesser articles will be seen. Once its off the main
> ones, the microsoft.* groups will be for all intent and
> purposes - gone.

What are we going to do?

I already looked at the Microsoft sponsored forums, and
there doe not seem to be anything like
microsoft.public.vc.mfc

From: Peter Olcott on
MFC Forum
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.vc.mfc&lang=en&cr=US

From: Hector Santos on
Peter Olcott wrote:

> What are we going to do?

well, we don't know what will happen until the msnews.microsoft.com is
turned off.

For now, for people using this server, you can wait or go find another
server. Looks like you are a subscriber to news.giganews.com so you
will be best off than most at getting a lot of downlinks (peers off
giganews.com) participation.

When its turned off (the server), we don't know how much input came
from this until it happen.

Then after its turned off, the question if the hierarchy is removed
which by all indication, the plan is to remove them. That means,
giganews.com MANY not have them any more. It depends on how
giganews.com is getting the "LIST" from.

We just don't know what the true impact will be until it all happens.

I call tell you that microsoft can "Measure" it by determining how
many different users and host systems connect to it. I can imagine
that their decision was partly based this this rate was slowing down.
So the lesser connections they were getting the more it meant there
servers were not needed any more.

Finally, I personally thing Microsoft does not/has not or has and is
just waiting to understand the impact of keeping or effectively
donating their name sake "microsoft.*" to the public domain. It can
become a trademarking issue if their is a "Confusion" in regard to a
massive deterioration of QOM (quality of mail) in these public domain
microsoft.public.* groups.

I can tell that that we make no association whatsoever to the
alt.bbs.wildcat for that reason. We were happen early on but when it
got out of hand, we broke ties with it. I personally didn't want to
keep it, but I didn't bother with it. I still don't like it it there,
but we didn't create it and there is own eco-net already created for
it outside of USENET.

But can a Microsoft make more demands (request) to get it remove
usene? Don't be surprise if they ask and want it to be removed and
might eventually put a disclaimer somewhere saying:

"note: Microsoft has no relationship with the usenet
microsoft.* newsgroups. Customers seeking quality
Microsoft support should use the MS FORUMS or
the privatenews.microsoft.com for partners and
current MSDN subscribers."

Whatever.

You're fine for now. Otherwise with usenet feed access outside of
msnew.microsoft.com are fine. Who knows what the impact will be until
it happens.

Personally, I think it creates an opportunity for an operator out
there to leverage this situation to help promote this web site and
hosting services, even creating his own

"MyBusiness.Mirosoft.*"

group and allow other servers what want to cater to microsoft support
via NNTP to peer off it, in essence creating its own 3rd party Social
Network for Microsoft support.

If I had the time and energy, I know I would look into it myself.

--
HLS
From: Faisal on

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcmfcatl/threads