From: Peter Olcott on

"Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Bert Hyman wrote:
>
>> In news:hsmip3$173v$1(a)news.ett.com.ua Hector Santos
>> <sant9442(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> You do realize that this is a "Network" of computers and
>>> that there is
>>> really a "backbone" concept and that really a "LIST"
>>> that you are managing?
>>
>> The backbone died along with UUCP.
>

> The transport method did, but not the "backbone"
> distribution concept per se.
>
> These are still old guards that want to get paid. Try to
> go get mail from giganews.com or from other major
> providers for free.
>
> If you follow the path of any of these "free" peering
> servers, including fee based ones, they all lead to a
> pretty small set of "backbone" providers everyone feeds
> off directly or indirectly.
>
> Here are some information:
>
> http://www.top1000.org/
>
> When you have a topology where most of the servers peer
> off the giganews.com and other top providers, we are
> talking a still a star and backbone concept.
> Giganews.com isn't going to peer off me or you.
>
> ==
> HLS

So why does one individual have the authority to delete a
whole hierarchy?

If we restrict this authority will microsoft.public.*
continue to live after Microsoft abandons support?

If we migrate to other hierarchies can this fix the problem,
or will anyone be able to delete this whole hierarchy too?

From: Hector Santos on
Peter Olcott wrote:

> He should not have this degree of authority. It should be as
> difficult to delete a newsgroup as it is to create one.

Peter, these were vendor sponsored areas. Not a pure open public
discussion area that has no "ownership" per se.

That is now how it worked FOREVER, whether it was the old FIDONET
echos or its offshoot USENET where many of these old guards came from
- FidoNet. It was really a matter of who had access to the highest
bandwidth. It could of been they worked for the Feds, consultants or
where part of academia which usually had access to free federal funded
pipelines. The mass public (early ISPs) had to PAY and we, among
others, sold hosting software to them to do that, PPP Servers, Mail
Distribution software, etc so they sell to the Peter's and others
using Dialup Networking etc.

IOW, there were was always a "person" that issues controls and became
the main "owner" per se of the group. It was a LIST that was passed
around - literally and trust me, there is a directed path these nodes
work off each other - then and still today.

Someone maintains control of the list and if you wanted to be a
dedicated friendly member node of the network, you followed the LIST -
you didn't create your own competing LIST and if you did, it was to
create your own little SUB-NET off a different list - but it was two
list now - not one.

Apparently according to the information provided by the individual in
the link I provided, who is maintaining the "list" for microsoft, he
indicated Microsoft did manage it themselves long ago (up to 2 years
ago?) and when they stopped, this fellow took over.

So when you think that you want to create an AREA, that effectively
means that you are creating a list that you want OTHERS to carry as
well. They need to basically get a copy of your list and add it to
their setup.

If you want to do this in a network of agreed membership, it can only
work well off a common list - thats call usenet in this case. If you
can also get a Fidonet echo list as well that the group of fidonet
nodes carry. Here is a site where you can get a list of Fidonet Echos:

http://www.filegate.net/echolist/

Now, the mindset of usenet is more open, fidonet LOVES administrator
controls, but honestly, there is still really management to usenet a
the basic level, someone has get all the feeds from everyone and pass
it around to others, and yes, other pass to others, etc more than ever
before because the hardware/speeds allow it, but it not as open, willy
nilly as you people seem to believe - its NOT.

--
HLS
From: Geoff on
On Sat, 15 May 2010 12:17:58 -0400, Hector Santos
<sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

>Once nodes that honor control commands automatically (meaning by
>people that don't sit at their servers deciding who to keep or not),
>especially the main "backbone" ones, they will slowly be OFF the
>network of nodes within "USENET."

Most, if not all, Usenet servers have not automatically obeyed control
messages since the cancelbot wars and the rm-group wars several years
ago. The question will be whether the news admins of a particular
server will approve the control messages deleting the microsoft.*
hierarchy and how fast it will degrade. My guess is it won't degrade
very much at all unless Microsoft begins writing C&D letters to Usenet
admins. Even then I don't think Microsoft would have valid grounds.

Yes, the propagation and carriage might be fragmented, but Usenet has
never been "centralized" and I don't believe it needs a centralized
server for a particular group or hierarchy to survive.
From: Hector Santos on
Peter Olcott wrote:

> So why does one individual have the authority to delete a
> whole hierarchy?

Its the old "he who owns the basketball, dictates the rules."

If not him, who?

Remember - think LIST (file).

> If we restrict this authority will microsoft.public.*
> continue to live after Microsoft abandons support?

Anyone can create its own LIST and share it with others that connect
to him if they AGREE with the sharing - in this case, YOU became of
the create and owner and because others off you FOLLOW you, they might
be using you as the the feed, they will follow your changes.

> If we migrate to other hierarchies can this fix the problem,
> or will anyone be able to delete this whole hierarchy too?

Thats a philosophical and human idea and ONLY off nodes that honor
your control messages - usually PEERS off a MAIN PEER.

I personally do not like to hangout in anything but sponsored support
areas.

Thats like saying:

"I setup a new server with a large bandwidth and I created
a list that will be part of my LIST NEWSGROUPS response.
They are a blend of usenet and private list, including
a copy of the old microsoft.* for backward compatibility.

The server is news.peterserver.com"

In other words, telling everyone (most of the people off the
msnews.microsoft.com) to connect to you now or any other of
your friendly peers that want to help you offer additional
servers the same LIST you offer. It becomes a selling point for
most. Other "new breed" "open source, free mindset" "anonymous" people
won't care where they can troll.

Here is a tool you can download that allows you to grab a LIST from
NTTP servers. Do it on so call usenet server and you will see that
not all of them are the same.

http://beta.winserver.com/public/files/getnewsgroups.zip

with:

Archive: getnewsgroups.zip
Length Date Time Name
------ ---- ---- ----
65536 05-11-10 23:38 GetNewsgroups.exe
------ -------
65536 1

for help:

GetNewsgroups /?

example usage:

GetNewsGroups msnews.microsoft.com
GetNewsGroups news.ett.com.ua
GetNewsGroups news.aioe.org

A file *.newsgroup for will created for the host name provided.

If you wanted to just see if one has microsoft.public.*,

GetNewsGroups {host} /out:{host}.newsgroups /hier:microsoft.public.*

--
HLS
From: Hector Santos on
Usually, the higher you are up the chain, the more you follow your
uplink service offerings if only to offer a closer mirroring of
services offered. That is what I mean by "centralization" its not a
pure star, but the Giganews.com is a LARGE star in this network as one
the primary sources MOST others peer off.

Some peers offer all of it, some offer maybe text only, etc.

Honestly, it is very simple.

Let suppose right now you wanted to become a FEED. What will you do?

You will setup and UPLINK and a DOWNLINK and for most, they are the
same. They don't have to be, but the smaller you are and off the main
chain, that is usually all you need.

But you don't have to and the redundancy built into the software
allows for distributed data exchange.

For example, I can (re)set up server to feed off my main T1 ISP to
pull USENET. That would be 1 HOSTING ENTRY into my setup.

I can also setup a 2nd hosting entry for msnews.microsoft.com
specifically only for the microsoft.public.* groups.

The software automatically handles it. but I can tell it only to sent
to microsoft the new local postings on my system. Don't send it to my
ISP hosting record.

I could, if I didn't care the duplicity and overhead it will create
for other software to trap the dupes. But that is how the peer to
peer meshing is working today.

Its a controlled managed dedicated path that is defined BY the
operator and you really don't want the overhead in redundancy but you
still have to check for it because it is an anarchy network once you
get off the main "backbone." In other words, off giganews.com and the
like who have a DEEP CONTROL of who peers off them.

--
HLS

Geoff wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 2010 12:17:58 -0400, Hector Santos
> <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Once nodes that honor control commands automatically (meaning by
>> people that don't sit at their servers deciding who to keep or not),
>> especially the main "backbone" ones, they will slowly be OFF the
>> network of nodes within "USENET."
>
> Most, if not all, Usenet servers have not automatically obeyed control
> messages since the cancelbot wars and the rm-group wars several years
> ago. The question will be whether the news admins of a particular
> server will approve the control messages deleting the microsoft.*
> hierarchy and how fast it will degrade. My guess is it won't degrade
> very much at all unless Microsoft begins writing C&D letters to Usenet
> admins. Even then I don't think Microsoft would have valid grounds.
>
> Yes, the propagation and carriage might be fragmented, but Usenet has
> never been "centralized" and I don't believe it needs a centralized
> server for a particular group or hierarchy to survive.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Simple encryption solution
Next: MFC Dialog - Menu