Prev: TMA Assembler?
Next: pshufb
From: KiLVaiDeN on
So basically guys, does it mean that there is no simple way of creating
cross platform assembly GUI application, while taking advantage of the
assembly low-level power ?

I am looking into possibilities to do this, in a mix of high-level and
assembly, which would be the best way to go I guess for such a project,
but it seems a little bit complicated nonetheless.

I also thought of doing it in full assembly, using an OpenGL wrapper,
to make the interface of the program; But this too would require a lot
of work..... To implement all the functionalities of a usual GUI
interface...

Oh well !
Thanks for the answers :)

Cheers

From: Herbert Kleebauer on
KiLVaiDeN wrote:

> So basically guys, does it mean that there is no simple way of creating
> cross platform assembly GUI application, while taking advantage of the
> assembly low-level power ?
>
> I am looking into possibilities to do this, in a mix of high-level and
> assembly, which would be the best way to go I guess for such a project,
> but it seems a little bit complicated nonetheless.

Why don't look at the source code of Mozilla?
From: KiLVaiDeN on
> Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
>
> Why don't look at the source code of Mozilla?

It's a good idea and I like XUL, but it's very high level (XML) and if
I want to code such an application, I'd rather use Java/SWT ( which is
used to code Eclipse for example ) which I consider even better ( since
you have Java as a powerful language to back you up ).

My main concern was to use a low level language, and have an easy way
to code GUI applications, like it's possible with RosASM or FASM under
windows, but multi-platform.

Thanks for the help !

Cheers

From: Betov on
"KiLVaiDeN" <kilvaiden(a)gmail.com> ?crivait news:1162808259.331364.26920
@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> So basically guys, does it mean that there is no simple way of creating
> cross platform assembly GUI application, while taking advantage of the
> assembly low-level power ?

There has never been any "simple way" for doing any
pioneer work, unfortunately, K. I'd wish there could
be some, but...

:))

As you might know, there has been several long years
of hard works, done by many pioneers of Win32Asm,
before Applications could have been written in Asm,
under Win32, and the Linux Asm Stuff is still in the
very same state, it was for Windows... 15 years ago.

:(

Linux is definitively NOT any area for Assembly. Would
it be one, even with a little bit more problems, what
you mean to do would exist since ages, given the number
of volunteers around Linux, and given the numbers of
attempts, we have seen passing and going to... the trash
bin.

Not to discourage you, but, if you persist on this plan,
be prepared for _years_ of pioneer's work without any
guaranty of success, and of "royale indiff?rence", in
case it would go to an end.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: KiLVaiDeN on
> Betov wrote:
>
> As you might know, there has been several long years
> of hard works, done by many pioneers of Win32Asm,
> before Applications could have been written in Asm,
> under Win32, and the Linux Asm Stuff is still in the
> very same state, it was for Windows... 15 years ago.

There is still some assemblers which compile successfully binaries
under Linux, and I thought someone had already investigated the GUI
applications field under Linux with ASM.. Too bad it's still something
not "considered", as much as it is for years on Windows.

What is the key factor that motivated such a movement under Win32 and
not under Linux ? I'd say, the popularity of Win32 won the interest of
most developers ( since for years, making an application was mainly
targeting the Win32 market ), but now, as I see it, Linux is becoming
more and more viable as an alternative to Win32, both in the price
point of view and on the power you can unleash with it.

The kernel being open source, is a great factor of evolution; you can
customize it to your needs, which leads to a totally optimized system
for you, in matter of functionalities that is.

I would like to ask you a question Rene, considering you are a fervent
defender of GPL, how come your choice for a system didn't include
producing code for the GPLed OS of choice, aka Linux ?

> Linux is definitively NOT any area for Assembly. Would
> it be one, even with a little bit more problems, what
> you mean to do would exist since ages, given the number
> of volunteers around Linux, and given the numbers of
> attempts, we have seen passing and going to... the trash
> bin.

There must be a way to hack Xorg, the same way the Win32 API is
"hacked" by assembly programs. I say "hacking", because like the Win32
API, the Xorg API is not supposed to be coded in assembly from a
starter. It has similar calls than those of the Win32 API, so I think
it wouldn't be totally out of mind to think of "hacking" it with
assembly, by declaring clever includes, like it's done in Win32 ASM
nowadays..

> Not to discourage you, but, if you persist on this plan,
> be prepared for _years_ of pioneer's work without any
> guaranty of success, and of "royale indifférence", in
> case it would go to an end.
>

> Betov.
>
> < http://rosasm.org >

The indifference is the least I care about, as I never did anything to
promote myself, or to make people worship me. Being a pioneer is also
something I don't plan, since I'm not good enough in all those matters
to pretend doing a pioneer job, knowing that some people already
probably investigated that same path in the past. My goal is to make a
cross platform application, which would be as clean as possible, trying
to avoid most of the "garbage" from HLL... I just want it plain and
simple, yet fast and small in size..

I wanted to know if there already was something similar on the Linux
assembly world, as it exists on the Win32 one.. Too bad it doesn't
exist, I think I'll code my application with the standard "HLL GUI" +
Assembly Optimized routines...

Cheers, thanks for help !

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12