Prev: TMA Assembler?
Next: pshufb
From: Betov on
Herbert Kleebauer <klee(a)unibwm.de> ?crivait news:4551AE68.FEF31C26
@unibwm.de:

> One another point, that i am preaching in the desert since
> years to you, is that, as soon as you see a post about programing
> an application, you can bet you bubbles that this is from an
> HLLer (nobody writes an application in assembler).

Oh! That!... Everybody knows that very few Programmers write
their Apps in Assembly, and this has never been any demonstration
of anything but of the "market success" of the HLLs. Not about
why and how an HLL would be any elevator, but to hell.

In matter of "elevator", the only point that makes any sense,
is about the ease of Development, and pushing the logic to the
end, i fail to understand why clicking upon a button that would
output Snippets, should be more easy if the Snippet was written
in HLL over-complications, rather than in readable Assembly
simplicity, in your mind.

Believing that C is a usable Language is way over my head: I can't
believe it, but, so is it. History has never been any demonstration
about something being "right" or "wrong". Were the nazis "right"?
Sure. The proof: The whole world is actualy neo-nazi, including
Europe, where democracy is at the level of a cheese's commercial.
USA is nowadays way more nazi than the historical one, only beaten
on that front-line, by Israel, and well seconded by china. So,
Nazism won on all lines. Is the C nazism "right"? Sure, Herbert,
it is "right" at the good place, in the history.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Betov on

> you should learn assembly programming to write better
> HLL programs and not to write assembler programs.

Yes, we know of the tune, but i have never heard of the lyrics.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Laurent D.A.M. MENTEN on
Herbert Kleebauer wrote:

>> It's a pity most HLLer assume assembly language is just useless because
>> they never work with it. I bet most of them don't know the difference
>> between while(1) and for(;;).

> volatile int i;
> main() { for (;;) {i=0;} }

> .file "t1.c"
> .section .text
> .p2align 4,,15
> .globl _main
> _main:
> pushl %ebp
> movl %esp, %ebp
> pushl %eax
> pushl %eax
> andl $-16, %esp
> .p2align 4,,7
> L2:
> movl $0, _i
> jmp L2
> .comm _i,16
> .ident "GCC: (GNU) 3.3.4"

> volatile int i;
> main() { while (1) {i=0;} }

> .file "t2.c"
> .section .text
> .p2align 4,,15
> .globl _main
> _main:
> pushl %ebp
> movl %esp, %ebp
> pushl %eax
> pushl %eax
> andl $-16, %esp
> .p2align 4,,7
> L5:
> movl $0, _i
> jmp L5
> .comm _i,16
> .ident "GCC: (GNU) 3.3.4"

> Yes, a big difference, the label L2 is replaced by the label L5!

So I was right, you don't know the difference by yourself... by using a
clever compiler you have been confused! while(1) would always test its
condition and for(;;) would not even generate this test.

> That's what I say, you should learn assembly programming to write better
> HLL programs and not to write assembler programs.

Why SHOULD I not write assembler programs? Kinda like despotism! Maybe
that's also why one SHOULD use M$ products or why the universe SHOULD
listen to R'n'B?
From: Herbert Kleebauer on
"Laurent D.A.M. MENTEN" wrote:
> Herbert Kleebauer wrote:

> So I was right, you don't know the difference by yourself... by using a
> clever compiler you have been confused! while(1) would always test its
> condition and for(;;) would not even generate this test.

Then you don't understand the difference between a compile time
calculation and a runtime calculation.

> > That's what I say, you should learn assembly programming to write better
> > HLL programs and not to write assembler programs.
>
> Why SHOULD I not write assembler programs?

Nobody said you shouldn't write your programs in assembler. But if
you want to make a living from your programming, than better use a
HLL. For your health it is good if you use the stairs and not the
elevator. But if have to make your living with delivering packets,
then you better use the elevator.
From: Herbert Kleebauer on
Betov wrote:
> Herbert Kleebauer <klee(a)unibwm.de> ?crivait news:4551AE68.FEF31C26

> > One another point, that i am preaching in the desert since
> > years to you, is that, as soon as you see a post about programing
> > an application, you can bet you bubbles that this is from an
> > HLLer (nobody writes an application in assembler).
>
> Oh! That!... Everybody knows that very few Programmers write
> their Apps in Assembly, and this has never been any demonstration
> of anything but of the "market success" of the HLLs. Not about

But it explains your many times repeated statement:

One another point, that i am preaching in the desert since
years, is that, as soon as you see a post about Code Level
Optimization, you can bet you bubbles that this is from an
HLLer.

If 99.9% use a HLL and 0.1% assembler and if an assembly programmer
posts 10 times as often as a HLL programmer a question about
"Code Level Optimization", then you know why you mostly see
posts of HLL programmers.

> why and how an HLL would be any elevator, but to hell.

Don't forget, all the prurient girls are in hell, in heaven you
will find only the honest ones.

> In matter of "elevator", the only point that makes any sense,
> is about the ease of Development, and pushing the logic to the
> end, i fail to understand why clicking upon a button that would
> output Snippets, should be more easy if the Snippet was written
> in HLL over-complications, rather than in readable Assembly
> simplicity, in your mind.

And that from somebody who calls himself an assembly programmer:
source code generated by a button click!

> Believing that C is a usable Language is way over my head: I can't
> believe it, but, so is it.

That's nothing you have to believe. Try it and you will see it.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Prev: TMA Assembler?
Next: pshufb