Prev: TMA Assembler?
Next: pshufb
From: KiLVaiDeN on
Hello group,

To make a GUI application multi-platform enabled, what library would
you chose for the design ?

I suspect GTK is the best solution, since GTK apps exist for both
platforms, but I'm still wondering if maybe I've missed a library that
is worth looking at, from the assembly point of view.

I want to code my GUI application in assembly, and be able to compile
the source for both platforms without change ( or with MINIMAL change )
on both platforms.

For the moment, my choice is : FASM + GTK.. But I'm unsure about how
well this would work in a windows environment.

Thanks for any help :)
Cheers

From: vid512@gmail.com on
friend of mine suggest wxWidgets

From: hutch-- on
KiLVaiDeN,

You are basically at the mercy of available libraries to perform this
task and I don't know how successful such a task will be with what is
available. Probably your best chance is a portable C style of library
but you will probably find that the range on both OS types is limited
with this approach.

Regards,

hutch at movsd dot com

From: Evenbit on

hutch-- wrote:
> You are basically at the mercy of available libraries to perform this
> task and I don't know how successful such a task will be with what is
> available. Probably your best chance is a portable C style of library
> but you will probably find that the range on both OS types is limited
> with this approach.

There is a wrapper for wxWidgets (get wx-c.dll):
http://wxnet.sourceforge.net/why.html

See Bernd's demo:

Nathan.

From: Betov on
"hutch--" <hutch(a)movsd.com> ?crivait news:1162784696.764863.262370
@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> KiLVaiDeN,
>
> You are basically at the mercy of available libraries to perform this
> task and I don't know how successful such a task will be with what is
> available. Probably your best chance is a portable C style of library
> but you will probably find that the range on both OS types is limited
> with this approach.

It depends on the amount of time and efforts he means to
give to this. Fact is that the most usual rules about this
kind of 'libraries' are that:

* Usualy... nothing works...

* The Apps will be way sub-optimal, and slow.

Another possible way is with creating entire customizations
of a windowing system, implementing the bases of such a
System:

* Custom Mouse Event.

* Custom Lines Drawing.

* Custom colouring.

This would be a HUGE collection of Functions to implement
on both system, not even talking of the Disk-Acceses, Net-
Access, and so on...

Half tried to do it for Windows (and this is WAY easier under
Win32 than under Linux). He spent close to 3 years at doing
this, and, as a result, this is a very big thing,... calling
for tons of OS Functions. He was unfortunately gone before
even beginning to work at anything for Linux, and i have no
more any news from him. I know that he was bad health and
having social difficulties - hope he is well, and will be
back some day... -.

So said, i am in the opinion that the attempt is suicidary,
but, with tons of very hard work, it might nevertheless be
a possible thing... that nobody would ever care about, at
the end, in case it would succeed, as usual.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11