Prev: TMA Assembler?
Next: pshufb
From: rhyde on

Betov wrote:

> Linux is definitively NOT any area for Assembly. Would
> it be one, even with a little bit more problems, what
> you mean to do would exist since ages, given the number
> of volunteers around Linux, and given the numbers of
> attempts, we have seen passing and going to... the trash
> bin.

Windows is definitely NOT any area for Assembly - Microsoft (according
to Rene), 1990s.
Linux is definitely NOT any area for Assembly - Rene, 2000s.

Next we'll be hearing that 640K of memory is all anyone will ever need
:-)
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: KiLVaiDeN on
> rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu wrote:
>
> Windows is definitely NOT any area for Assembly - Microsoft (according
> to Rene), 1990s.

In the 90s it for sure wasn't the case.. It's only since the 2000s that
we saw viable Assembly platforms under windows, capable of using the
Win32 API.
What was your opinion in the 90s ? Have you done any Win32 Assembly
application back then ? Iczelion tutorials were online since 1998
only... So basically, Rene was right about that assumption.

> Linux is definitely NOT any area for Assembly - Rene, 2000s.

As we can see, there is no way for coding GUI assembly application with
Linux. Yes, you can do it with GTK, but it's not what I'd call a "real"
way of doing it; Using a 3rd party library is different than using the
base windowing system, as it's possible under Win32. When we'll be able
to use Xlib from Assembly, we'd have made a great advance in Assembly
programming under Linux for GUI applications; Not yet. So Rene was
right, once again, about his assumption.

> Next we'll be hearing that 640K of memory is all anyone will ever need
> :-)
> Cheers,
> Randy Hyde

I guess future will tell different : We'll see HLA2, which will produce
ASM for a real assembler to compile it. Well................. Wanted to
be a bit picky at you since I felt a misplaced irony in your words :-)

Cheers

From: rhyde on

KiLVaiDeN wrote:
> > rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu wrote:
> >
> > Windows is definitely NOT any area for Assembly - Microsoft (according
> > to Rene), 1990s.
>
> In the 90s it for sure wasn't the case.. It's only since the 2000s that
> we saw viable Assembly platforms under windows, capable of using the
> Win32 API.

Actually, there were books in the early 1990s, before Rene's "pioneers"
came along, that were demonstrating how to do this. Check out Tom
Swan's stuff, for example.

> What was your opinion in the 90s ?

In 1995, as Microsoft was preparing to release Windows 95 and the MS
hype machine was in full swing, I decided it was time to abandon DOS
completely. That's when I began the "UCR Standard Library for 80x86
Assembly Language Programmers" which quickly lead to the development of
HLA.

> Have you done any Win32 Assembly
> application back then ?

No. I was busy implementing HLA from early 1996 to Sept 1999, when HLA
v1.0 was released. You don't write 150,000 lines of code overnight, you
know? My first "Win32 app" (a trivial window thing) was written in
late summer 1999, as a proof of concept. I personally didn't write a
win32 "app" until 2000.

> Iczelion tutorials were online since 1998
> only... So basically, Rene was right about that assumption.

What assumption was that? Again, check out Tom Swan's books.

> > Linux is definitely NOT any area for Assembly - Rene, 2000s.
>
> As we can see, there is no way for coding GUI assembly application with
> Linux.

"We" do not see that.

> Yes, you can do it with GTK, but it's not what I'd call a "real"
> way of doing it;

Why?

> Using a 3rd party library is different than using the
> base windowing system, as it's possible under Win32.

Why?

> When we'll be able
> to use Xlib from Assembly, we'd have made a great advance in Assembly
> programming under Linux for GUI applications;

If you can call it from C, you can call it from assembly. That much
should be obvious.

From: Herbert Kleebauer on
KiLVaiDeN wrote:

> way of doing it; Using a 3rd party library is different than using the
> base windowing system, as it's possible under Win32. When we'll be able
> to use Xlib from Assembly, we'd have made a great advance in Assembly
> programming under Linux for GUI applications; Not yet. So Rene was
> right, once again, about his assumption.

Xlib also is nothing but a "3rd party library". But you can directly
connect to the Xserver without using Xlib. A few weeks ago Linux
assembly code was posted here to open a Window. Now you can be the pioneer
and find out the rest (output text and graphics, get mouse and keyboard events).
From: Dunny on
In news:1162828271.152853.80970(a)e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com,
KiLVaiDeN <kilvaiden(a)gmail.com> typed:

> I guess future will tell different : We'll see HLA2, which will
> produce ASM for a real assembler to compile it.

I was under the impression that HLA2 would *be* the assembler - HLA1.x was
basically a prototype that relied on other assemblers to actually produce
binaries, while the specifics of the language were finalised. HLA2 won't
need any other assemblers to produce applications.

D.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: TMA Assembler?