Prev: TMA Assembler?
Next: pshufb
From: T.M. Sommers on
Frank Kotler wrote:

> As I recall, when I installed gtk(+ ?), I had to install four or five
> other libraries, in the correct order, first. I'm not familiar with
> wxWidgets - didn't it used to be called wxWindows? I think I downloaded
> that once - 7 or 8 Megs, IIRC. My reaction to this stuff is, "That looks
> like a truck tire. I wanted a racing bike tire. I'm going to have to
> reinvent the wheel!"

The thing is, after you reinvent the wheel, you either have your
very own truck tire, or you have a bike tire of very limited
functionality, and you have spent ages developing it. On the
other hand, if you had used existing libraries, you would have a
pile of applications already built.

--
Thomas M. Sommers -- tms(a)nj.net -- AB2SB

From: Herbert Kleebauer on
Betov wrote:
> Herbert Kleebauer <klee(a)unibwm.de> ?crivait news:454F6D79.3B2DF851

> > Assembler is only good for learning and understanding but
> > not for programming applications
>
> You mean: "What i call an Assembler is ..."

I never know whether I should take you seriously. Imagine you have an idea
for a new application and hire a programmer to implement it. I suppose,
you tell him what this program should do, how the interface looks like
and maybe a coarse structure of the program. But I don't think you
will tell him at CPU instruction level what the program should do. To
be able judge the quality of the code produced by the programmer, you
should have the knowledge to do the programing yourself. Now, suppose
the hired programmer isn't a human but a computer system. Why does this
completely change your behavior? Now you tell the system not what
you want but how you want it at the CPU level. Why not use a HLL
and tell it what you want and let the system decide how to do it
at CPU level. But again you must be able to do it yourself at CPU
level to be able to ask the compiler only for jobs which can be
efficient translated to CPU level and also to judge the code generated
by the compiler. And therefore you have to learn assembly programming
and not for using assembly to write applications.

> * First, you write an Assembler that cannot be used for
> seriously developing Asm Apps.

No. First you think about for what an assembler is useable. And
then you write an assembler which is optimized for this purpose.

> * Then, you say that doing so is using the wrong tool.

It's not the wrong tool, it's the wrong language.

> In some counter way, you are right: Using your Assembler for
> "programming applications" would be absurd, as long as it has
> no other purpose but "for learning and understanding".

It's like speaking to very small children. People use a very
different language (vocabulary) when speaking to babies than
when speaking to grown up people. Now you can say: "I always
have only spoken to babies and I don't know any other way
to speak. I have adopted a few words (IF, ELSE) I heard from
adults, but that has to be enough." There is nothing wrong with
this, but if you tell other people, that they also should use
the baby language because it's so simple and everybody can
understand it, then this is wrong. I also don't speak (and
don't like) OO languages, but I don't say, people shouldn't use
OO languages and program in normal C, because this is much
simpler.
From: Herbert Kleebauer on
"T.M. Sommers" wrote:
> Frank Kotler wrote:
> >
> > As I recall, when I installed gtk(+ ?), I had to install four or five
> > other libraries, in the correct order, first. I'm not familiar with
> > wxWidgets - didn't it used to be called wxWindows? I think I downloaded
> > that once - 7 or 8 Megs, IIRC. My reaction to this stuff is, "That looks
> > like a truck tire. I wanted a racing bike tire. I'm going to have to
> > reinvent the wheel!"
>
> The thing is, after you reinvent the wheel, you either have your
> very own truck tire, or you have a bike tire of very limited
> functionality, and you have spent ages developing it.

But now you understand how a tire is build, you know the weakness and
strongness of a tire, you know about the problems which arise when
you drive to fast in a curve or if the temperature is to high or to low.
And that's the purpose of building your own tire and not to use this
tire on your car.

> On the
> other hand, if you had used existing libraries, you would have a
> pile of applications already built.

That's the amateur approach, a professional has to understand the
advantages and disadvantages of the tools he uses.
From: Betov on
Herbert Kleebauer <klee(a)unibwm.de> ?crivait news:45504DD6.9D8E1554
@unibwm.de:

> First you think about for what an assembler is useable. And
> then you write an assembler which is optimized for this purpose.

Nothing but what i mean. Exactly.

* First you build yourself a concept of what Assembly is.

* Then, you develop an Assembler, accordingly to your view.

* Then, you say that Assembly is not the proper thing for
developments.

The snake eating its own tail.

My own view is: Whatever development HLL (i don't talk about
script engines), it always ends with a Tool calling for Asm
Snippets, in a forced Syntax. The "forced Syntax" is a thing
does not even deserve any comment (so hatable "containment").

The very end result of it, is useless complexity. If there
had not been _money concerns_ at the beginning of this absurd
history, no HLL, on earth, would ever have existed. The only
thing that would exist would be collections of Snippets, in
Asm to be called from Asm, in Asm Syntax, as long as there is
absolutely no technical reason for CALLing from HLL rather than
from Assembly.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: T.M. Sommers on
Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
> "T.M. Sommers" wrote:
>>Frank Kotler wrote:
>>
>>>As I recall, when I installed gtk(+ ?), I had to install four or five
>>>other libraries, in the correct order, first. I'm not familiar with
>>>wxWidgets - didn't it used to be called wxWindows? I think I downloaded
>>>that once - 7 or 8 Megs, IIRC. My reaction to this stuff is, "That looks
>>>like a truck tire. I wanted a racing bike tire. I'm going to have to
>>>reinvent the wheel!"
>>
>>The thing is, after you reinvent the wheel, you either have your
>>very own truck tire, or you have a bike tire of very limited
>>functionality, and you have spent ages developing it.
>
> But now you understand how a tire is build, you know the weakness and
> strongness of a tire, you know about the problems which arise when
> you drive to fast in a curve or if the temperature is to high or to low.

But you, not being a tire expert, have probably built a tire with
different characteristics from those built by tire engineers with
years of training and experience.

> And that's the purpose of building your own tire and not to use this
> tire on your car.

That's a good thing, because if you used it you would likely kill
yourself.

>>On the
>>other hand, if you had used existing libraries, you would have a
>>pile of applications already built.
>
> That's the amateur approach,

Hardly. Let's both bid on a contract, with you including the
extra time and cost to build everything yourself, and me using
existing libraries. Who do you think will get the contract?

> a professional has to understand the
> advantages and disadvantages of the tools he uses.

You can do that without rebuilding those tools. Do carpenters
make their own saws and hammers?

If you really believed in your approach, your first step would be
to reinvent mathematics. Then you would reinvent solid-state
physics. Then electronics. Then you would design and build your
own hardware. Then you would create your own operating system.
Then, and only then, you could start reinventing X. Meanwhile,
the rest of us will be getting some useful work done.

--
Thomas M. Sommers -- tms(a)nj.net -- AB2SB

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Prev: TMA Assembler?
Next: pshufb