From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <gi6t67$vo5$3(a)localhost.localdomain>,
Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid> wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:37:52 +0000, Unruh wrote:
>
>> It is always a bad idea to tell us what the solution you think is and
>> ask us how to impliment it. Much better to tell us what the problem is
>> first. Why in the world do you need more than 2 serial ports? What is
>> connected to them? For example could you not buy a usb mouse instead of
>> using your ancient serial mouse?
>>
>Good point, though the inability to use a USB-serial adapter is an
>essential piece of information.
>
>My existing serial port uses are:
>
>-/dev/ttyS0 - has an MSF60 time receiver on it.
>-/dev/ttyS1 - connected permanently to an old Microware OS-9/68K box
> thats used on a daily basis.
>
>I need a serial connection for downloading flight logs from an EW model D
>flight recorder, using the EW Downloader, which is a Windows program. The
>file transfer protocol is proprietary and the applications are not open
>source. I'm currently using a Win95 box for this task, but want to shift
>it over to my Linux system.
>
>Some limitations must be overcome:
>
>- Using out of the box WINE, EW Downloader can see my existing serial
> ports and recognise when the OS-9 system is booted, but it won't
> recognise a USB-serial converter or notice when the EW model D is
> connected to it and switched on.
>
>- The Linux system has only the two serial ports and one spare PCI
> socket: the latter is longer that the other two which contain a USB II
> adapter and the system's only ethernet adapter.

Stick one of these:

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11850

in the PCI slot. If it's longer than a normal PCI slot, it's a PCI-X
slot, but shorter cards should work just as well. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pci-x

Gordon
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 01:30:50 +0000, Unruh wrote:

> How about attaching the time receiver to the usb serial port? Since the
> time is a linux only thing (and since the linux kernel etc keeps running
> under Wine), and since linux sees that usb serial port, it would seem
> that should work.

I doubt that this would work over USB since the MSF receiver's port
handling is very non-standard. Its Jonathon Buzzard's design, built round
the Galeon module. The problem is that it doesn't use the Rx and Tx lines
at all. It only uses GND, DTR and DCD. DTR powers the receiver. The DCD
level follows the Galeon's output, which the driver decodes and passes to
ntpd via shared memory.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:56:21 +0000, Theo Markettos wrote:

> Can you see the USB adaptor in Linux - ie does /dev/ttyUSBx appear? If
> not, fix that first.

Yes - tail -f /var/log/messages shows it being connected and disconnected.

> In my ~/.wine/wine.conf I have:
>
> Com2=/dev/ttyUSB0, 115200
>
> which must have done the trick at some point (but I can't remember
> precisely what I put it there for).

That sounds like what I need. I'll try it shortly (as com3) and report
back.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 07:17:53 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Stick one of these:
>
> http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11850
>
> in the PCI slot. If it's longer than a normal PCI slot, it's a PCI-X
> slot, but shorter cards should work just as well. See:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pci-x

Thanks. I'll definitely grab one if Theo's WINE config suggestion doesn't
do the trick. Actually, I might grab one anyway at that price.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-12-16, Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid> wrote:

> I doubt that this would work over USB since the MSF receiver's port
> handling is very non-standard. Its Jonathon Buzzard's design, built round
> the Galeon module. The problem is that it doesn't use the Rx and Tx lines
> at all. It only uses GND, DTR and DCD. DTR powers the receiver. The DCD
> level follows the Galeon's output, which the driver decodes and passes to
> ntpd via shared memory.

Even if it did work, the USB<->serial interface isn't likely to help
accuracy at all, kludges on top of kludges on top of kludges aren't
good things to have in a fairly precise timing chain.

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8