From: Martin Gregorie on
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 20:32:32 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> In article <gigvf7$uj2$3(a)localhost.localdomain>, Martin Gregorie
> <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid> wrote:
>>On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 07:17:53 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> Stick one of these:
>>>
>>> http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11850
>>>
>>> in the PCI slot. If it's longer than a normal PCI slot, it's a PCI-X
>>> slot, but shorter cards should work just as well. See:
>>>
>>The card turned up today and has been duly stuck in the spare PCI slot
>>as a 4 port setup - no spare holes in the back of the case for the 5th
>>and 6th connectors.
>>
>>The card's S1 and S2 ports were recognised and assigned as ttyS2 and
>>ttyS3 but anything else isn't being handled - dmesg sees the next pair
>>of ports being spotted as a 16550A, then an error is thrown and thats
>>it:
>>
>>0000:01:08.0: ttyS2 at I/O 0x74c8 (irq = 16) is a 16550A 0000:01:08.0:
>>ttyS3 at I/O 0x74d0 (irq = 16) is a 16550A Couldn't register serial port
>>0000:01:08.0: -28
>>
>>So, now I have 4 serial ports working (two on the mobo and the first two
>>on this card, but I'd like to get the next two working as well. Is there
>>a HOWTO for this?
>>
>>The card came with a mini-CD containing relatively old drivers as C
>>source but no documentation at all apart from short READMEs for the
>>drivers. There's no indication on the box as to what model the card
>>might be either, so without pulling the card out again and reading
>>what's stencilled on it I'm unsure which driver might suit it.
>>
>>Is there a generic multi-port driver that comes with kernel 2.6.26 that
>>I can use or should I compile one off the mini-CD?
>
> There is one in the kernel, and it defaults to 4 serial ports.
>
> So, you may need to re-compile the kernel to fix it, or if using
> modules, there may be a module load option to increase the number.

Thanks, guys. I'm currently trying to stick with the standard kernel, so
I added "8250.nr_uarts=6" to the boot parameters and the remaining two
ports got configured.

Still didn't work, though, until I inverted the flying lead plugs
for the two off-card D-9s. No hint of which way up the connectors were
meant to go, so of course I'd initially plugged 'em in upside down. I
tested all four against the EW logger and all four now work as
advertised..

Thanks again.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie