From: Martin Gregorie on
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:05:38 +0000, Unruh wrote:

> Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid> write>
> Well, since the usb port has a 5 V power supply, using that to power the
> receiver is trivial. Then the question is whether or not one can drive
> the signal lines of the usb appropriately is the only question. I am not
> sure how or how well the usb-serial ports mimic the control lines. But
> that would seem to me to be the best bet for you.

Why do you think that's better than adding a PCI card with a few more
pukka serial ports?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-12-17, Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid> wrote:

> Why do you think that's better than adding a PCI card with a few more
> pukka serial ports?

There's a very good reason why he's in my killfile!

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 00:06:01 +0000, Ian Rawlings wrote:

> On 2008-12-17, Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Why do you think that's better than adding a PCI card with a few more
>> pukka serial ports?
>
> There's a very good reason why he's in my killfile!

OK, finally some progress to report.

I found a later version of the uploader program, downloaded it and
installed it by running the Windows installer under WINE. This version
was advertised as fixing problems with recognising USB-serial adapters.
Well, it still won't recognise mt USB-serial adapter but it worked
perfectly on a real serial port (/dev/ttyS1) after I temporarily stole
the MSF receiver's port.

Maybe there's some missing magic in WINE - its difficult to tell since I
have no idea how 'doze handles USB except that I know that yet more
drivers must be installed. I currently have WINE set up to imitate Win95,
so that may also have a bearing on the situation.

Tomorrow I'll follow Gordon's suggestion and order the 6-port serial card
since I could do with an extra serial port or three.

Thanks to everybody who helped with ideas.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Unruh on
Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid> writes:

>On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:05:38 +0000, Unruh wrote:

>> Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid> write>
>> Well, since the usb port has a 5 V power supply, using that to power the
>> receiver is trivial. Then the question is whether or not one can drive
>> the signal lines of the usb appropriately is the only question. I am not
>> sure how or how well the usb-serial ports mimic the control lines. But
>> that would seem to me to be the best bet for you.
>>
>Why do you think that's better than adding a PCI card with a few more
>pukka serial ports?

That is fine too. But I though that you doubted that you actually had a
spare PCI card port.

From: Geoffrey Clements on
Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 00:06:01 +0000, Ian Rawlings wrote:
>
>> On 2008-12-17, Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Why do you think that's better than adding a PCI card with a few more
>>> pukka serial ports?
>>
>> There's a very good reason why he's in my killfile!
>
> OK, finally some progress to report.
>
> I found a later version of the uploader program, downloaded it and
> installed it by running the Windows installer under WINE. This version
> was advertised as fixing problems with recognising USB-serial adapters.
> Well, it still won't recognise mt USB-serial adapter but it worked
> perfectly on a real serial port (/dev/ttyS1) after I temporarily stole
> the MSF receiver's port.
>
> Maybe there's some missing magic in WINE - its difficult to tell since I
> have no idea how 'doze handles USB except that I know that yet more
> drivers must be installed. I currently have WINE set up to imitate Win95,
> so that may also have a bearing on the situation.

That could be it, as I remember it proper support for USB appeared in Win98
and then only if you installed the correct drivers. Built in support
happened in the version after Win98 and ... err ... I've gone blank, I
can't remember what version that was!

--
Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.