From: Martin Gregorie on
I seem to have run out of serial ports (/dev/ttyS[01] on the motherboard
are both in regular use) and I've just discovered that a Windows app
under WINE 1.1.9 can't see a USB<->serial adapter.

What I need to know is:

- Can I configure WINE so the Windows app can see the USB adapter
(if its described in the WINE user guide RTFM will do as an answer)

- I have one spare PCI slot, but its longer than the two containing
my Ethernet and USB adapter cards. Can anybody recommend a
Linux-compatible PCI serial adapter that would work in this slot

- or is a serial data switch the best way to go. One of the two
existing ports could be switched as it will never be used for
both jobs at once. Its cable is well enough buried for swapping
plugs to be a real pain.

TIA
Martin

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Unruh on
Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid> writes:

>I seem to have run out of serial ports (/dev/ttyS[01] on the motherboard
>are both in regular use) and I've just discovered that a Windows app
>under WINE 1.1.9 can't see a USB<->serial adapter.

It is always a bad idea to tell us what the solution you think is and ask
us how to impliment it. Much better to tell us what the problem is first.
Why in the world do you need more than 2 serial ports? What is connected to
them? For example could you not buy a usb mouse instead of using your
ancient serial mouse?

From: Theo Markettos on
Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid> wrote:
> I seem to have run out of serial ports (/dev/ttyS[01] on the motherboard
> are both in regular use) and I've just discovered that a Windows app
> under WINE 1.1.9 can't see a USB<->serial adapter.
>
> - Can I configure WINE so the Windows app can see the USB adapter
> (if its described in the WINE user guide RTFM will do as an answer)

Can you see the USB adaptor in Linux - ie does /dev/ttyUSBx appear? If not,
fix that first.

In my ~/.wine/wine.conf I have:

Com2=/dev/ttyUSB0, 115200

which must have done the trick at some point (but I can't remember precisely
what I put it there for).

Theo
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:37:52 +0000, Unruh wrote:

> It is always a bad idea to tell us what the solution you think is and
> ask us how to impliment it. Much better to tell us what the problem is
> first. Why in the world do you need more than 2 serial ports? What is
> connected to them? For example could you not buy a usb mouse instead of
> using your ancient serial mouse?

Good point, though the inability to use a USB-serial adapter is an
essential piece of information.

My existing serial port uses are:

-/dev/ttyS0 - has an MSF60 time receiver on it.
-/dev/ttyS1 - connected permanently to an old Microware OS-9/68K box
thats used on a daily basis.

I need a serial connection for downloading flight logs from an EW model D
flight recorder, using the EW Downloader, which is a Windows program. The
file transfer protocol is proprietary and the applications are not open
source. I'm currently using a Win95 box for this task, but want to shift
it over to my Linux system.

Some limitations must be overcome:

- Using out of the box WINE, EW Downloader can see my existing serial
ports and recognise when the OS-9 system is booted, but it won't
recognise a USB-serial converter or notice when the EW model D is
connected to it and switched on.

- The Linux system has only the two serial ports and one spare PCI
socket: the latter is longer that the other two which contain a USB II
adapter and the system's only ethernet adapter.

- Both currently attached serial cables are buries behind cabinets, etc.
I'd prefer not to disturb them.

Can anybody suggest a way of running the EW Downloader under WINE so that
it can download flight logs from the EW model D and save them to disk?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Unruh on
Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid> writes:

>On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:37:52 +0000, Unruh wrote:

>> It is always a bad idea to tell us what the solution you think is and
>> ask us how to impliment it. Much better to tell us what the problem is
>> first. Why in the world do you need more than 2 serial ports? What is
>> connected to them? For example could you not buy a usb mouse instead of
>> using your ancient serial mouse?
>>
>Good point, though the inability to use a USB-serial adapter is an
>essential piece of information.

>My existing serial port uses are:

>-/dev/ttyS0 - has an MSF60 time receiver on it.
>-/dev/ttyS1 - connected permanently to an old Microware OS-9/68K box
> thats used on a daily basis.

How about attaching the time receiver to the usb serial port? Since the
time is a linux only thing (and since the linux kernel etc keeps running
under Wine), and since linux sees that usb serial port, it would seem that
should work.

>I need a serial connection for downloading flight logs from an EW model D
>flight recorder, using the EW Downloader, which is a Windows program. The
>file transfer protocol is proprietary and the applications are not open
>source. I'm currently using a Win95 box for this task, but want to shift
>it over to my Linux system.

>Some limitations must be overcome:

>- Using out of the box WINE, EW Downloader can see my existing serial
> ports and recognise when the OS-9 system is booted, but it won't
> recognise a USB-serial converter or notice when the EW model D is
> connected to it and switched on.
>
>- The Linux system has only the two serial ports and one spare PCI
> socket: the latter is longer that the other two which contain a USB II
> adapter and the system's only ethernet adapter.

>- Both currently attached serial cables are buries behind cabinets, etc.
> I'd prefer not to disturb them.

>Can anybody suggest a way of running the EW Downloader under WINE so that
>it can download flight logs from the EW model D and save them to disk?
>

>--
>martin@ | Martin Gregorie
>gregorie. | Essex, UK
>org |