From: Gordon Henderson on
So wifey got an Acer Aspire One a month or so back, running Linpus
Lite. I replaced the teletubbies desktop with xfce and she was happy.

And there I was, almost ready to upgrade her ageing XP desktop system
to Linux + xfce when she goes out and get an iPod nano, loads up iTunes
under XP and tells me she only wants Linux if it supports iTunes.

And yesterday her desktop PC croaked in such a manner as to suggest a
broken hard drive.

Now I have to find a new hard drive, install XP on it, download/apply
patches and restore her data.

Bother.

Gordon
From: Geoffrey Clements on
"Gordon Henderson" <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> wrote in message
> So wifey got an Acer Aspire One a month or so back, running Linpus
> Lite. I replaced the teletubbies desktop with xfce and she was happy.
>
> And there I was, almost ready to upgrade her ageing XP desktop system
> to Linux + xfce when she goes out and get an iPod nano, loads up iTunes
> under XP and tells me she only wants Linux if it supports iTunes.
>
> And yesterday her desktop PC croaked in such a manner as to suggest a
> broken hard drive.
>
> Now I have to find a new hard drive, install XP on it, download/apply
> patches and restore her data.
>
> Bother.

Could WINE help with this problem? You'll have to use version 7.x but if
that's good enough ...

--
Geoff

From: Geoffrey Clements on
"Geoffrey Clements" <geoffrey.clementsNO(a)SPAMbaesystems.com> wrote in
message news:4946207c_1(a)glkas0286.greenlnk.net...
> "Gordon Henderson" <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> wrote in message
>> So wifey got an Acer Aspire One a month or so back, running Linpus
>> Lite. I replaced the teletubbies desktop with xfce and she was happy.
>>
>> And there I was, almost ready to upgrade her ageing XP desktop system
>> to Linux + xfce when she goes out and get an iPod nano, loads up iTunes
>> under XP and tells me she only wants Linux if it supports iTunes.
>>
>> And yesterday her desktop PC croaked in such a manner as to suggest a
>> broken hard drive.
>>
>> Now I have to find a new hard drive, install XP on it, download/apply
>> patches and restore her data.
>>
>> Bother.
>
> Could WINE help with this problem? You'll have to use version 7.x but if
> that's good enough ...

oh - and another thing - introduce her to amarok and/or rhythmbox and see if
one of those tickles her fancy. I've never used iTunes myself so I don't
know how they compare but it may be worth a shot.

--
Geoff

From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-12-15, Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> wrote:

> And there I was, almost ready to upgrade her ageing XP desktop system
> to Linux + xfce when she goes out and get an iPod nano, loads up iTunes
> under XP and tells me she only wants Linux if it supports iTunes.

If she only wants to put MP3s that she's downloaded or ripped herself
then I'd recommend gtkpod, I don't use my ipod any more but it was
much better than iTunes for managing the ipod. It tended not to
co-exist with iTunes though, it was supposed to but I found it wasn't
happy and tended to blank all the categories and fill them with
nonsense. It was fine when used exclusively. It has various features
not present in iTunes, particularly the ability to extract music from
the iPod which could be very useful when you find your DVD of mp3s has
decided to stop working!

It can't access itunes however, and last time I used it, probably
about a year and a half ago, it didn't handle podcasts too well
either, but that might have changed.

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
From: Paul Rudin on
Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> writes:

> ...and tells me she only wants Linux if it supports iTunes.

Now that Amazon sells a good range of non-DRM music the case for using
iTunes is rather less strong.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Reinstalling grub?