From: chris on
Frank Peelo wrote:
> Daniel Smith wrote:
>>
>> Amarok is great for manageing music on ipods or anything else media
>> playerish for that matter
>
> Can it control what order tracks get played in? I can't figure it out
> myself.

Yes. You need to look in Settings -> Configure Amarok... -> Media
Devices, add a device and configure it appropriately.

> Mostly my (current) mp3 player (the cheapest 4GB player I could
> find in Argos -- it's made by Iitronics) seems to play things in
> chronological order, i.e. the order in which they were copied to the mp3
> player. Previous one, I could never figure out what order things would
> play in. I thought they would be played in list order. I tried putting
> numbers in front of tracks to control this. Sometimes seemed to work,
> didn't always. Is there a standard for this, that Amarok would know about?

Generally this is controlled by the ID3 tags and/or the setting in the
player. AIUI most mp3 players play in album order as defined by the ID3
tags, by default, otherwise it's by ASCIIbetical order of the filename.
From: chris on
Phil wrote:
> chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> writes:
>> Like someone else suggested, have a look at amarok it's a fantastic
>> piece of software. IMO iTunes is no better than it.
> I have tried Amarok, but found the fact it strips the leading number
> from the track names annoying. I don't always want to listen to tracks
> in alpha-numeric order.

Eh? Do your files have ID3 tags? To amarok the filenames make no
difference at all as long as the tag data is correct. I think, this is
true of the more feature rich media players; it all works via the tag data.
From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-12-16, Phil <pj(a)thecork.trig222.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> I have tried Amarok, but found the fact it strips the leading number
> from the track names annoying. I don't always want to listen to tracks
> in alpha-numeric order.

While it is annoying, you could correct it using easytag, which can
take the filename, parse the number from the name and put it into the
track number tag.

ID3 tags are quite useful things, but can be a bit of work to keep
right, however easytag can do a good job there.

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
From: Daniel Smith on
Phil wrote:
> chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> writes:
>> Like someone else suggested, have a look at amarok it's a fantastic
>> piece of software. IMO iTunes is no better than it.
> I have tried Amarok, but found the fact it strips the leading number
> from the track names annoying. I don't always want to listen to tracks
> in alpha-numeric order.
>
> I couldn't work out what the 'feature' ius called or why it exists, but
> someone must have spent time coding it.
>
> I gave up and went back to using Nautilus.
in the settings list in amarok there is a feild under media devices that
allows you to specify the track naming and the folder hirarchy, tinker
with that and you can get your numbers back.
From: Frank Peelo on
chris wrote:
> Frank Peelo wrote:
>
>>Daniel Smith wrote:
>>
>>>Amarok is great for manageing music on ipods or anything else media
>>>playerish for that matter
>>
>>Can it control what order tracks get played in? I can't figure it out
>>myself.
>

> Yes. You need to look in Settings -> Configure Amarok... -> Media
> Devices, add a device and configure it appropriately.

heh. I meant, I couldn't figure out whether there was as system to the
order that the MP3 player used.

>>Mostly my (current) mp3 player (the cheapest 4GB player I could
>>find in Argos -- it's made by Iitronics) seems to play things in
>>chronological order, i.e. the order in which they were copied to the mp3
>>player. Previous one, I could never figure out what order things would
>>play in. I thought they would be played in list order. I tried putting
>>numbers in front of tracks to control this. Sometimes seemed to work,
>>didn't always. Is there a standard for this, that Amarok would know about?
>

> Generally this is controlled by the ID3 tags and/or the setting in the
> player. AIUI most mp3 players play in album order as defined by the ID3
> tags, by default, otherwise it's by ASCIIbetical order of the filename.

Ok, thanks. I'll try setting those.

Frank
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3