From: chris on
Paul Rudin wrote:
> Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> writes:
>

>> ...and tells me she only wants Linux if it supports iTunes.
>
> Now that Amazon sells a good range of non-DRM music the case for using
> iTunes is rather less strong.

That was going to be my suggestion too. Play.com and digital7.com also
have most, if not all, of the major labels on board in non-DRM format
goodness.

Like someone else suggested, have a look at amarok it's a fantastic
piece of software. IMO iTunes is no better than it.
From: Tony Houghton on
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:14:46 +0000
chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul Rudin wrote:
> >
> > Now that Amazon sells a good range of non-DRM music the case for using
> > iTunes is rather less strong.
>
> That was going to be my suggestion too. Play.com and digital7.com also
> have most, if not all, of the major labels on board in non-DRM format
> goodness.
>
> Like someone else suggested, have a look at amarok it's a fantastic
> piece of software. IMO iTunes is no better than it.

What would tempt me to buy an iPod instead of a Mass Storage Device is
the hardware compatibility ie many car stereos have an iPod interface
now. AIUI it isn't just an audio connector, it means you can control the
iPod from the stereo's steering column controls. Are any other players
compatible?

Mind you, I probably won't get my hands on a car with such a stereo for
another 10 years :-/. And the one in the new Fiesta has a better idea: a
USB port so it can play tunes off a memory stick.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

From: Daniel Smith on
chris wrote:
> Paul Rudin wrote:
>> Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> writes:
>>

>>> ...and tells me she only wants Linux if it supports iTunes.
>> Now that Amazon sells a good range of non-DRM music the case for using
>> iTunes is rather less strong.
>
> That was going to be my suggestion too. Play.com and digital7.com also
> have most, if not all, of the major labels on board in non-DRM format
> goodness.
>
> Like someone else suggested, have a look at amarok it's a fantastic
> piece of software. IMO iTunes is no better than it.

Amarok is great for manageing music on ipods or anything else media
playerish for that matter

and check out magnatune.com for downloads that are of better quality
(you can choose the formats wav flac mp3(VBR) ogg AAC mp3(CBR 128k) )

and you can give the mucic to 3 freinds for nothing,
you can stream the whole album as many times as you like before buying,
and you cna choose to pay anything from US$5 to US$18 per album,
whatever you pay the artist gets a full 50% gross (unlike the 99� per
track itunes where the artist gets <1�)
From: Phil on
chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> writes:
> Like someone else suggested, have a look at amarok it's a fantastic
> piece of software. IMO iTunes is no better than it.
I have tried Amarok, but found the fact it strips the leading number
from the track names annoying. I don't always want to listen to tracks
in alpha-numeric order.

I couldn't work out what the 'feature' ius called or why it exists, but
someone must have spent time coding it.

I gave up and went back to using Nautilus.
--
Old protocols never die. They just get migrated over TCP/IP.
From: Frank Peelo on
Daniel Smith wrote:
> chris wrote:
>
>>Paul Rudin wrote:

>>>Now that Amazon sells a good range of non-DRM music the case for using
>>>iTunes is rather less strong.
>>
>>That was going to be my suggestion too. Play.com and digital7.com also
>>have most, if not all, of the major labels on board in non-DRM format
>>goodness.
>>
>>Like someone else suggested, have a look at amarok it's a fantastic
>>piece of software. IMO iTunes is no better than it.
>

> Amarok is great for manageing music on ipods or anything else media
> playerish for that matter

Can it control what order tracks get played in? I can't figure it out
myself. Mostly my (current) mp3 player (the cheapest 4GB player I could
find in Argos -- it's made by Iitronics) seems to play things in
chronological order, i.e. the order in which they were copied to the mp3
player. Previous one, I could never figure out what order things would
play in. I thought they would be played in list order. I tried putting
numbers in front of tracks to control this. Sometimes seemed to work,
didn't always. Is there a standard for this, that Amarok would know about?

Frank
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Reinstalling grub?