From: Muppet on
I have (or *did* have) a dual-booting system, with Windows XP and
PCLinuxOS, each OS on its own HD. I've lost GRUB and now cannot boot
into Linux so I need to reinstall GRUB. I've done it once before, but
can't remember how.

How do I reinstall GRUB please?
From: Neil Ellwood on
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:26:45 +0000, Muppet wrote:

> I have (or *did* have) a dual-booting system, with Windows XP and
> PCLinuxOS, each OS on its own HD. I've lost GRUB and now cannot boot
> into Linux so I need to reinstall GRUB. I've done it once before, but
> can't remember how.
>

> How do I reinstall GRUB please?

Use your PCLinuxOS disc to repair grub. Do it when booting.

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:26:45 +0000, Muppet wrote:

> How do I reinstall GRUB please?

info grub

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Martin Gregorie on

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Will Kemp on
Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:26:45 +0000, Muppet wrote:
>
>> How do I reinstall GRUB please?
>
> info grub

That's not much use when you can't boot into Linux, is it?

Anyway, the grub info docs barely make sense to me, and i've been
running linux systems for over 13 years, so i doubt a newish user's
likely to make much sense of them.

Grub documentation is particularly horrible. In fact, grub is a
particularly horrible thing to have to deal with at all. It's got one or
two points that are better than lilo, but give me lilo any day, i reckon!

Anyway, http://www.sorgonet.com/linux/grubrestore is a reasonably
straightforward guide to restoring it.

A google search turns up a few useful links:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=grub+rescue+linux

I dunno about that distro's installation/recovery disk, but you can
download and burn a rescue CD from http://sysresccd.org which looks ok
to me, although i've never actually had to use it yet.

--
http://NovemberEchoRomeoDelta.com