From: Will Kemp on
Nix wrote:
> On 15 Dec 2008, Will Kemp verbalised:
>
>> Tony Houghton wrote:
>>> It has one advantage over HTML, you can do a client-side search over a
>>> hierarchy of pages (something that would have been a good idea for "Web
>>> 2.0" now I think of it).
>> Interesting. I guess you'd have to manage to navigate your way around 'info info' to work out how to do it though! ;-)
>
> 's' isn't a very hard keystroke to just guess, and 'h' gives you quick
> help that also describes 's'.

Searching doesn't help you if you don't know what you're searching for.
It's ']' etc that never seem to do what i expect them to do. And i've
often had to use ^C to get back to where i started from!

--
http://NovemberEchoRomeoDelta.com
From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-12-20, Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> It's more that with texinfo (not info: nobody writes *info* pages
> anymore), we can produce printed books (via texi2dvi or texi2pdf), man
> pages (via texinfo2man or texi2pod/pod2man), a set of web pages (via
> makeinfo --html), or even the horrible info pages.

There's quite a few man pages that have short, basic overviews of a
command then refer the reader to the info pages for full
documentation, that's really annoying!

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-12-20, Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> 's' isn't a very hard keystroke to just guess, and 'h' gives you quick
> help that also describes 's'.

"/" also seems to work.

From: Nix on
On 21 Dec 2008, Ian Rawlings said:

> On 2008-12-20, Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> It's more that with texinfo (not info: nobody writes *info* pages
>> anymore), we can produce printed books (via texi2dvi or texi2pdf), man
>> pages (via texinfo2man or texi2pod/pod2man), a set of web pages (via
>> makeinfo --html), or even the horrible info pages.
>
> There's quite a few man pages that have short, basic overviews of a
> command then refer the reader to the info pages for full
> documentation, that's really annoying!

Yeah, those need improvement :)

--
`We must stand together and fight for our shared cultural heritage as a
group of people who cannot stand together to fight for our shared
From: Neil Ellwood on
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 07:01:54 +0000, Ian Rawlings wrote:

> On 2008-12-20, Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> It's more that with texinfo (not info: nobody writes *info* pages
>> anymore), we can produce printed books (via texi2dvi or texi2pdf), man
>> pages (via texinfo2man or texi2pod/pod2man), a set of web pages (via
>> makeinfo --html), or even the horrible info pages.
>
> There's quite a few man pages that have short, basic overviews of a
> command then refer the reader to the info pages for full documentation,
> that's really annoying!

Just think of it resembling a book that uses footnotes for more info,

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l