From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:50:18 +0000, Will Kemp wrote:

> That's not much use when you can't boot into Linux, is it?

Yeah, I realised that about 1 sec after pushing the button, hence posting
the grub home URL

> Anyway, the grub info docs barely make sense to me, and i've been
> running linux systems for over 13 years, so i doubt a newish user's
> likely to make much sense of them.

They're not that bad. Installing from them and/or making a Grub boot
floppy are not too difficult if you follow the steps: did both (in a
decidedly recalcitrant K6/266 box with an awkward AMI BIOS after only
about 4 years Linux experience.

> I dunno about that distro's installation/recovery disk, but you can
> download and burn a rescue CD from http://sysresccd.org which looks ok
> to me, although i've never actually had to use it yet.

It makes sense to make a Grub boot floppy for emergencies, just as making
a rescue disk each time you install or upgrade a distro is a good idea.
As a bonus, since Fedora 9 the Fedora installation CD/DVD *is* also the
rescue disk.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Muppet on
Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:50:18 +0000, Will Kemp wrote:
>
>> That's not much use when you can't boot into Linux, is it?
>>
> Yeah, I realised that about 1 sec after pushing the button, hence posting
> the grub home URL

info grub?

What does that mean? It means nothing to a Linux noob like myself :-s

It doesn't matter now anyway. I downloaded 'auto super grub disk' and
all is well again. Thanks for the responses.
From: Will Kemp on
Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:50:18 +0000, Will Kemp wrote:
>
>> That's not much use when you can't boot into Linux, is it?
>>
> Yeah, I realised that about 1 sec after pushing the button, hence posting
> the grub home URL
>
>> Anyway, the grub info docs barely make sense to me, and i've been
>> running linux systems for over 13 years, so i doubt a newish user's
>> likely to make much sense of them.
>>
> They're not that bad. Installing from them and/or making a Grub boot
> floppy are not too difficult if you follow the steps: did both (in a
> decidedly recalcitrant K6/266 box with an awkward AMI BIOS after only
> about 4 years Linux experience.

I've had to install the boot loader from a rescue CD several times over
the years and it's always been one of those things i've struggled with
because it's invariably so long since i did it last that i've forgotten.
It can get horribly confusing, too!

>> I dunno about that distro's installation/recovery disk, but you can
>> download and burn a rescue CD from http://sysresccd.org which looks ok
>> to me, although i've never actually had to use it yet.
>>
> It makes sense to make a Grub boot floppy for emergencies, just as making
> a rescue disk each time you install or upgrade a distro is a good idea.
> As a bonus, since Fedora 9 the Fedora installation CD/DVD *is* also the
> rescue disk.

Yeah, Red Hat and derivatives have had that for many years now.

--
http://SnapAndScribble.com
From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <ucf1l.10586$cN2.6208(a)newsfe17.ams2>,
Will Kemp <will(a)xxxx.swaggie.net> wrote:
>Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:26:45 +0000, Muppet wrote:
>>
>>> How do I reinstall GRUB please?
>>
>> info grub
>
>That's not much use when you can't boot into Linux, is it?
>
>Anyway, the grub info docs barely make sense to me, and i've been
>running linux systems for over 13 years, so i doubt a newish user's
>likely to make much sense of them.
>
>Grub documentation is particularly horrible. In fact, grub is a
>particularly horrible thing to have to deal with at all. It's got one or
>two points that are better than lilo, but give me lilo any day, i reckon!

Same here. I have not found a compelling need nor reason to change from
Lilo. It's been fairly easy to boot off a Debian CD, choose the recovery
option and go from there in the rare occasions I've had to do it...

Gordon
From: Folderol on
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:50:18 +0000
Will Kemp <will(a)xxxx.swaggie.net> wrote:

> Martin Gregorie wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:26:45 +0000, Muppet wrote:
> >
> >> How do I reinstall GRUB please?
> >
> > info grub
>
> That's not much use when you can't boot into Linux, is it?
>
> Anyway, the grub info docs barely make sense to me, and i've been
> running linux systems for over 13 years, so i doubt a newish user's
> likely to make much sense of them.

I recommend supergrub disk

--
Will J G