From: Will Kemp on
jasee wrote:

>>> Buy a copy of my book* and read section 3.8.2. This is the relevant
>>> bit:
>>>

>> I've often wanted to be able to modify grub and this looks like a good
>> explanation, however
>
>>> (Once you have run grub from the rescue disk).

>> Running system=an existing installation of Linux?

>> Can't understand this maybe it means if you have a seperate partition
>> (from which the machine boots) and it's also mounted as" /boot" then the
>> file will >be in that partition in /grub/stage 1?

>> That makes sense if what I've understood above is correct

>> This all looks sensible to me, however it doesn't explain what the stage1
>> program is. It seems as though it's part of grub? So supposing you want to
>>> boot multiple versions of Linux, there should be multiple versions of the
>> loader in the different partitions? How did they get there? And how do you
>> insert mutiple choices in grub?

Your quoting is bizarre, but i think the above paragraph is your question...

"Stage 1" is the first part of the boot loader - the part that is run by
the BIOS on bootup. It's the part that actually sits in the boot sector.
This part runs first and then loads "stage 2", which is what actually
loads the operating system and passes control to it. The reason there
has to be two stages is because the boot sector isn't very big and you
can't fit the whole thing into it. So stage 1 is in the boot sector and
stage 2 is in /boot/grub (or wherever).

There are a couple of ways to boot multiple versions of linux - either
you can have a single boot loader in the master boot record (MBR) of the
hard drive, which is configured to load the relevant kernel etc, from
its partition. Or each version can have its own boot loader in the boot
sector of the partition it lives on and there can be a "master" boot
loader in the MBR which is configured to "chain" load the boot loaders
in the partition boot sectors.

--
http://NovemberEchoRomeoDelta.com
From: jasee on

"Will Kemp" <will(a)xxxx.swaggie.net> wrote in message
> jasee wrote:
>>> This all looks sensible to me, however it doesn't explain what the
>>> stage1 program is. It seems as though it's part of grub? So supposing
>>> you want to
>>> loader in the different partitions? How did they get there? And how do
>>> you insert mutiple choices in grub?
>
> Your quoting is bizarre, but i think the above paragraph is your
> question...
>
> "Stage 1" is the first part of the boot loader - the part that is run by
> the BIOS on bootup. It's the part that actually sits in the boot sector.
> This part runs first and then loads "stage 2", which is what actually
> loads the operating system and passes control to it. The reason there has
> to be two stages is because the boot sector isn't very big and you can't
> fit the whole thing into it. So stage 1 is in the boot sector and stage 2
> is in /boot/grub (or wherever).
>
> There are a couple of ways to boot multiple versions of linux - either you
> can have a single boot loader in the master boot record (MBR) of the hard
> drive, which is configured to load the relevant kernel etc, from its
> partition. Or each version can have its own boot loader in the boot sector
> of the partition it lives on and there can be a "master" boot loader in
> the MBR which is configured to "chain" load the boot loaders in the
> partition boot sectors.

Yes, thanks, that's all pretty clear now (the bizarre quoting was Outllook's
Expresses fault, if you save, then edit it, it has already inserted quotes)
I'm just not now sure how you get multiple operating system lines in the
boot loader, it's pretty clear from the previous explanation how you get
one, but can you simply add another using grub?

From: Maurice Batey on
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:30:12 +0000, jasee wrote:

> not now sure how you get multiple operating system lines in the
> boot loader

I've recently started using the GAG boot loader for that purpose.

(Can be installed on a floppy first to try it out, then you can ask
it to install itself into the MBR.)

For each of the e.g. Linux installations to be booted, you
just do a grub-install to its boot partition, before asking GAG
to build a boot-list from them.
--
/\/\aurice
(Retired in Surrey, UK)

From: Martin Gregorie on
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:30:12 +0000, jasee wrote:

> Yes, thanks, that's all pretty clear now (the bizarre quoting was
> Outllook's Expresses fault, if you save, then edit it, it has already
> inserted quotes) I'm just not now sure how you get multiple operating
> system lines in the boot loader, it's pretty clear from the previous
> explanation how you get one, but can you simply add another using grub?

Just edit GRUB's boot menu, usually /boot/grub/grub.conf

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: jasee on

"Maurice Batey" <maurice(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:30:12 +0000, jasee wrote:
>
>> not now sure how you get multiple operating system lines in the
>> boot loader
>
> I've recently started using the GAG boot loader for that purpose.
>
> (Can be installed on a floppy first to try it out, then you can ask
> it to install itself into the MBR.)
>
> For each of the e.g. Linux installations to be booted, you
> just do a grub-install to its boot partition, before asking GAG
> to build a boot-list from them.

Thanks, I've used Gag, it's ok, but it's being picky I know but the icons
are enormous! And anyway if you've already got Grub installed it seems
unnecessary.