From: Martin Gregorie on
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:49:47 +0000, Will Kemp wrote:

> I think that's being unnecessarily generous to 'info'. I reckon it's
> more like a mad man's web browser!

'info' doesn't even have the excuse that it only needs a text-only
display: recent versions of lynx do an excellent job of displaying HTML
in the same environment.

I'd nominate lynx as the info replacement - IMO its much better than
links or elinks.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Tony Houghton on
Will Kemp <will(a)xxxx.swaggie.net> wrote:

> I agree. Info is absolutely hideous. It obviously predates keyboards
> with arrows on them - and has never evolved. Only a crazed fanatic could
> think it was a good idea to keep writing and maintaining documentation
> for that horrible thing. Luckily most documentation seems to be
> available on the web nowadays.

It has one advantage over HTML, you can do a client-side search over a
hierarchy of pages (something that would have been a good idea for "Web
2.0" now I think of it). If you can't avoid info, tkinfo isn't too bad
at all, especially if you have tk8.5 and configure it with an
antialiased font.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

From: Will Kemp on
Tony Houghton wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 07:49:47 +0000
> Will Kemp <will(a)xxxx.swaggie.net> wrote:
>
>> I agree. Info is absolutely hideous. It obviously predates keyboards
>> with arrows on them - and has never evolved. Only a crazed fanatic could
>> think it was a good idea to keep writing and maintaining documentation
>> for that horrible thing. Luckily most documentation seems to be
>> available on the web nowadays.
>
> It has one advantage over HTML, you can do a client-side search over a
> hierarchy of pages (something that would have been a good idea for "Web
> 2.0" now I think of it).

Interesting. I guess you'd have to manage to navigate your way around
'info info' to work out how to do it though! ;-)

> If you can't avoid info, tkinfo isn't too bad
> at all, especially if you have tk8.5 and configure it with an
> antialiased font.

That's worth checking out. The biggest problem with info, though, is
that it often seems to be critical documentation that's scrambled with
it and you need to read it when there's no gui!

--
http://SnapAndScribble.com
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Will Kemp may or may not have written...

> Tony Houghton wrote:
[snip]
>> If you can't avoid info, tkinfo isn't too bad at all, especially if you
>> have tk8.5 and configure it with an antialiased font.

> That's worth checking out. The biggest problem with info, though, is
> that it often seems to be critical documentation that's scrambled with
> it and you need to read it when there's no gui!

You could use pinfo...

| <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/progs.packages.html>

Progress is made on alternate Fridays.
From: Robert Billing on
Muppet wrote:

> How do I reinstall GRUB please?

Buy a copy of my book* and read section 3.8.2. This is the relevant bit:

(Once you have run grub from the rescue disk).

> The way grub describes disk drives and partitions is not
> the same as the method used by the running system. Grub needs
> to find where the "stage1" program is stored on your disk, and
> build this information into the initial loader that it
> installs at the beginning of your hard disk. There are three
> steps to this process.
> 1. Find the stage1 program. If you know where it is you can
> skip this step. If not you can use grub to find it. The
> program is in a file that will have the path
> /boot/grub/stage1 on the running system. If you have a
> separate partition that will be mounted as /boot the file
> will be /grub/stage1 within that partition. If you do not
> have a separate boot partition /boot will be a directory
> within your root partition and the path to the file will
> be /boot/grub/stage1.
> To find the boot loader if you have a separate boot
> partition type
> find /grub/stage1
> if you have one big partition type
> find /boot/grub/stage1
> and if you do not know try both.
> When Grub finds the loader it will display something like
> (hd0,4)
> which means "Partition 4 on hard drive 0". If you have
> more than one version of Linux installed choose the one
> you want to boot - the partition numbers displayed by
> grub may not be the same as the partitions displayed by
> fdisk, but they will be in the same order.
> 2. Tell grub which program to use. Type this command
> root (hdx,y)
> replacing x and y with the values that the find command
> gave you.
> 3. Write the initial loader to disk. Type
> setup (hd0)
> to write the loader to the first block of the first hard
> disk. You can use a different drive name in place of hd0
> to write the loader in another place, but hd0 will be
> correct for the vast majority of computers.
> You can now leave grub with the quit command and type exit
> to reboot your computer.

*"Teach Yourself Linux" published by Hodder and a snip at nine quid.