From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-12-21, Neil Ellwood <cral.elllwood2(a)btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Just think of it resembling a book that uses footnotes for more info,

More like the back cover of the book, with the rest of the book on the
other side of the room meaning you have to get off the comfy sofa and
shuffle across the room..

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
From: Will Kemp on
Neil Ellwood wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 07:01:54 +0000, Ian Rawlings wrote:
>
>> On 2008-12-20, Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> It's more that with texinfo (not info: nobody writes *info* pages
>>> anymore), we can produce printed books (via texi2dvi or texi2pdf), man
>>> pages (via texinfo2man or texi2pod/pod2man), a set of web pages (via
>>> makeinfo --html), or even the horrible info pages.
>> There's quite a few man pages that have short, basic overviews of a
>> command then refer the reader to the info pages for full documentation,
>> that's really annoying!
>
> Just think of it resembling a book that uses footnotes for more info,

Probably a reasonably appropriate comparison - footnotes are the mark of
a badly written book!

--
http://SnapAndScribble.com
From: Folderol on
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:32:08 +0000
Will Kemp <will(a)xxxx.swaggie.net> wrote:

> Neil Ellwood wrote:

> >> There's quite a few man pages that have short, basic overviews of a
> >> command then refer the reader to the info pages for full documentation,
> >> that's really annoying!
> >
> > Just think of it resembling a book that uses footnotes for more info,
>
> Probably a reasonably appropriate comparison - footnotes are the mark of
> a badly written book!

Also, shouldn't the footnotes and the book be written in the same
language?

--
Will J G
From: Will Kemp on
Folderol wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:32:08 +0000
> Will Kemp <will(a)xxxx.swaggie.net> wrote:
>
>> Neil Ellwood wrote:

>>> Just think of it resembling a book that uses footnotes for more info,
>> Probably a reasonably appropriate comparison - footnotes are the mark of
>> a badly written book!
>

> Also, shouldn't the footnotes and the book be written in the same
> language?

Now you come to mention it, contradicting both you and me, i've got a
book of poems by Federico Garcia Lorca with the translations in the form
of footnotes!

--
http://SnapAndScribble.com
From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-12-21, Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:

> Also, shouldn't the footnotes and the book be written in the same
> language?

And be part of the same book, not a separate volume, and the footnotes
on the same page as the text that references them!