First  |  Prev |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95
group of formal differences vs. Grothendieck group
A <anonymous.rubbertube(a)yahoo.com> wrote: [...] Finite sets are defined as those which do not admit a proper subset together with a bijection between the proper subset and the whole set. Union of sets and Cartesian product of finite sets is defined, and on passing to the isomorphism classes of finite se... 13 Nov 2009 22:10
Radioactive decay and the myth of randomness
Quantum mechanics says that there is no way to predict when an atom will decay radioactively. This doesn't mean that the decay is random. We wouldn't, for example, claim that a person who suddenly appears from behind a bus is exhibiting a new, mysterious, physical state called randomness. So! - why would we... 5 Dec 2009 07:28
Can we predict the outcome of a tossed coin?
Can we predict the outcome of a tossed coin? Scientists and gamblers have occasionally grappled with this problem. For the philosopher, however, the answer is straightforward. There are no outcomes for a tossed coin. For a philosopher, there is no possibility that an outcome of a tossed coin is either heads ... 13 Nov 2009 12:10
Wittgenstein shows Gödel semantic proof ends in contradiction
the fault in godels semantic proof is that he constructs a self referential proposition ie Rq(q) states" I am improvable." many mathematicians and philosophers ponicare russell and wittgenstein etc argue self referential propositions only lead to contradiction and thus must not be used Wittgenstein shows just... 11 Nov 2009 04:34
NST2 and theorems.
NST2: is the set of all sentences entailed (from FOL with identity and e) by the following non logical axioms below the following definition of the notion "set" denoted by M: Define(set): x is a set <-> Exist y ( x e y ) Define(M): Mx <-> x is a set. 1. Extensionality: for all z ( z e y <-> z e x) -> x=y ... 11 Nov 2009 19:08
We Are in a Logic Warp - Probability Has Been Reversed (as I predicted)
Charlie-Boo <shymathguy(a)gmail.com> writes: About a month ago I wrote a story about the universe going into a logic warp. Not a time or space warp, but a logic warp. In a warp, the rules all change. In a logic warp, probability is reversed. The unliklely becomes the likely. About a week after wri... 12 Nov 2009 17:23
Godel has no idea what truth is so theorem meaningless
It has been pointed out by the australian philosopher colin leslie dean that godels theorem is meaningless http://gamahucherpress.yellowgum.com/books/philosophy/GODEL5.pdf as it turns out that godel had no idea what makes a mathematical statement true as peter smith notes himself quote Gödel didn't rely... 10 Nov 2009 00:27
Dawkins mathematical concept of Design
When Dawkins talks about the "design" of life and debunks it, he isn't actually talking about life. Dawkins sees design in terms of an arbitrary set of properties that he names "life". The set "life" could equally have been named by him as "Rumplestiltskin" or "opus number 68". Dawkins idea of life is that ... 15 Nov 2009 06:46
The Compatibility of the Principles of Context and Compositionality
In logic, is there a conflict between the Context Principle and the Principle of Compositionality? It looks as though there might be: PREAMBLE The "Context Principle" was first proposed by Frege: "Never ask for the meaning of a word in isolation, but only in the context of a proposition." This is self-explanat... 6 Nov 2009 21:28
Guessing Game
I am thinking of two things. Can you guess what either is? You can ask as many questions as you want and I will (truthfully) answer all that I can. They don’t even have to be yes/no (finite multiple choice) questions. You just can’t ask, “What are you thinking about?”! C-B ... 9 Nov 2009 11:05