From: Henning on

"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcast.invalid> skrev i meddelandet
> David Kaye was thinking very hard :
>> "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote:
>>
>>> KBasic on the other hand is syntax compatible with VB6, but not GUI
>>> compatible. It's multiplatform and open source. It seems like
>>> donate-ware at the moment, but I am not sure. The developer is currently
>>> rewriting it and would be releasing it soon with a new name, QtBASIC.
>>>
>>> http://www.kbasic.com
>>
>> THANK YOU! Sounds delicious! I'd been waiting half my life for MS to
>> come up with versions of VB for non-Windows platforms. Now I won't have
>> to wait any longer. Thanks again.
>
> I have played a little with kbasic since seeing it on this group - and
> while the language is ok, the actual IDE sucks. The language can use VB6
> syntax (mostly) - it does not use the same ui model and so there is a
> significant effort to port any UI releated code. I am happy to hear there
> maybe some improvements on the way, and I would consider this a project to
> watch for cross platform basic development.
>
> Another non-windows alternative would be Gambas
> (http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html). Though, it had some
> stability issues when I played with it a year or two ago.
>
> And of course, there is always http://www.mono-project.com/Language_BASIC.
>
> RealBasic used to give away their basic compiler for Linux - not sure if
> that is still on going. But, it seemed a fast and decent alternative.
> Plus, it is cross platform. It isn't free though. (well, except on Linux
> it was for non-commercial use)
>
> PowerBasic is another commercial basic if you are not overly concerned
> about cross platform or open source. Currently, it is windows only (there
> have been talks of linux versions for years, but thus far none has
> materialized). But, it is fast supports lots of advanced concepts, and
> will do com both as a client and a server. I have personally purchased
> one of their compilers in the past (for making standard dll's), and it was
> excelent.
>
> --
> Tom Shelton

The 'new' version relies on OtDesigner for the GUI. It is more of
programming Qt in Basic, wich is good enough. As I understand it one can
intermix Basic and C++. A drawback is that KBasic has a free eval. mode,
Q7Basic has not. I have tried KBasic out for about a year porting a 16000+
lines of VB app, the only thing that doesn't work is stacking frames in a
pile. In QtDesigner that works, so I will go for it in time.

/Henning

From: Mike Williams on

"Helmut Meukel" <Helmut_Meukel(a)NoProvider.de> wrote in message

> Just to add another basic:
> BBC-Basic for Windows
> http://www.compulink.co.uk/~rrussell/bbcwin/bbcwin.html

Now you're talking! That takes me back almost thirty years, to when I was
just a lad (well, to when I still had a couple years before I hit the
dreaded "40" mark!). I hadn't realised it was still available, and certainly
not for Windows. I'm definitely going to purchase that one, no matter how
much it costs and regardless of whether it turns out to be any good or not.
In the days of the Commodore 64 (which had a dreadful BASIC!) the BBC
version was nothing short of amazing, with its speed and its inline
Assembler and lots of other nice little touches. It'll no doubt be feeling
its age nowadays of course (unless they have tarted it up beyond all
recognition) but I'm having it, no matter what!

Mike

From: John K.Eason on
In article <hu2dfm$2kr$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Helmut_Meukel(a)NoProvider.de
(Helmut Meukel) wrote:

> Just to add another basic:
> BBC-Basic for Windows
> http://www.compulink.co.uk/~rrussell/bbcwin/bbcwin.html

Bl***y hell. I never realised that was hosted on Cix and I've been on Cix since
1987! (compulink.co.uk is one of the Cix subdomains).

Regards
John (john(a)jeasonNoSpam.cix.co.uk) Remove the obvious to reply...
From: Jim Carlock on
: http://www.freebasic.net/
: http://www.freebasic.net/index.php/about?section=features

Thanks for the links to the other compilers/environments.

I forgot to mention that the following about FreeBASIC:

Full source code (it's self-compiling?) is located at SourceForge.

http://fbc.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fbc/

I will be signing up to the SourceForge arena and joining up with
that project to examine things.

Thanks for posting other links:

BBC-Basic for Windows (posted by Helmut)
http://www.compulink.co.uk/~rrussell/bbcwin/bbcwin.html

KBasic (posted by Nobody)
http://www.kbasic.com/

Gambas (posted by Tom Shelton)
http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html

Thanks, Tom, that Gambas looks interesting. Not sure about the VB.Net
compiler though, as I can not load and have refused to load the .Net
environment on any machine I built since 1999. No machine ever required
it in the past and it has been awhile since I've ever built another 1000
computer systems for anyone. Out of 1000 sales during that year, only 1
(one) computer was returned (because of a hardware issue with a Sound-
Blaster (Creative Labs) CD-ROM/DVD) at that time.

(A CIL compiler for Visual Basic.Net, written in Visual Basic.Net.)
http://www.mono-project.com/Language_BASIC

For those that do not like the environments for some of these compilers,
take a look at the BEST environment for any compiler, and perhaps even
for Visual Basic 6 (but I will not claim that even though I feel like it
will NOT take too much time to make it possible)...

Download the SciTE editor from,

http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/

or

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/scintilla/

A set of Properties files already exists for a variety of languages. Get
prepared to edit and learn about adjusting Properties files to get SciTE
working perfect. Also get prepared to learn about the search and replace
abilities available with that editor (specifically, regular expression
searching and replacing).

Be prepared to use that editor for HTML, CSS, C, C++, Python, BASIC, and
so much more!

Enjoy and have fun!

--
Jim Carlock

From: Tom Shelton on
Jim Carlock presented the following explanation :
>> http://www.freebasic.net/
>> http://www.freebasic.net/index.php/about?section=features
>
> Thanks for the links to the other compilers/environments.
>
> I forgot to mention that the following about FreeBASIC:
>
> Full source code (it's self-compiling?) is located at SourceForge.
>
> http://fbc.sourceforge.net/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/fbc/
>
> I will be signing up to the SourceForge arena and joining up with
> that project to examine things.
>
> Thanks for posting other links:
>
> BBC-Basic for Windows (posted by Helmut)
> http://www.compulink.co.uk/~rrussell/bbcwin/bbcwin.html
>
> KBasic (posted by Nobody)
> http://www.kbasic.com/
>
> Gambas (posted by Tom Shelton)
> http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html
>
> Thanks, Tom, that Gambas looks interesting.

Yeah, it's kind of an interesting environment. Reports are that it is
much better now then when I played with it. I'll have to check it out
again my self.

> Not sure about the VB.Net
> compiler though,

Just to be clear - that is not a .NET compiler. It is a Visual
Basic.NET language compiler for the mono platform. Mono is an open
source clone of .NET sponsered by Novell. You do not have to install
any microsoft software or .net to use it. Though, the executables it
creates are binary compatible with the micorosoft .net platform....

> (A CIL compiler for Visual Basic.Net, written in Visual Basic.Net.)
> http://www.mono-project.com/Language_BASIC
>
> For those that do not like the environments for some of these compilers,
> take a look at the BEST environment for any compiler, and perhaps even
> for Visual Basic 6 (but I will not claim that even though I feel like it
> will NOT take too much time to make it possible)...
>
> Download the SciTE editor from,
>
> http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/
>
> or
>
> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/scintilla/
>
> A set of Properties files already exists for a variety of languages. Get
> prepared to edit and learn about adjusting Properties files to get SciTE
> working perfect. Also get prepared to learn about the search and replace
> abilities available with that editor (specifically, regular expression
> searching and replacing).
>
> Be prepared to use that editor for HTML, CSS, C, C++, Python, BASIC, and
> so much more!
>
> Enjoy and have fun!

I'm going tc check it out - though, I'm still pretty much a vim fan :)

--
Tom Shelton