From: David Kaye on
Tom Shelton <tom_shelton(a)comcast.invalid> wrote:

>I have played a little with kbasic since seeing it on this group - and
>while the language is ok, the actual IDE sucks.

Oh man does it ever! I can barely make my way around it. And while it gives
the impression that VB6 code can be imported and used, not a single short
project of mine has run. I specifically chose projects that did not use any
external controls. No workee.

From: H-Man on
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:30:09 -0400, Jim Carlock wrote:

> For those that do not like the environments for some of these compilers,
> take a look at the BEST environment for any compiler, and perhaps even
> for Visual Basic 6 (but I will not claim that even though I feel like it
> will NOT take too much time to make it possible)...
>
> Download the SciTE editor from,

PureBasic uses scintilla as it's code editor. PureBasic is my BASIC
compiler of choice.

--
HK
From: dpb on

From: Jim Carlock on
"dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote:
: Jim Carlock wrote:
: ...
:
: For those that do not like the environments for some of these compilers,
: take a look at the BEST environment for any compiler, and perhaps even
: for Visual Basic 6 (but I will not claim that even though I feel like it
: will NOT take too much time to make it possible)...
: ...
:
: Can you parse the parenthetical phrase above for me, Jim???? :)
:
: --

Thanks,

I was just saying that there is one editor known as SciTE that works for
almost every compiler around. If it does not currently work for any one
compiler, it can be configured by editing a couple text files.

So for a continuation of the tutorial on SciTE:

The first file that needs to get edited is named,

SciTEGlobal.properties

You start SciTE first, then click on the &Options menu, then click on the
"Open &Global Options file".

Then you insert the following lines into that file or uncomment the line:

$(filter.vb)\

The pound character represents the comment character in the .properties
files. Next, you need to edit the $(filter.vb) file. It ends up as a
..properties file named, "vb.properties" and you can edit it easily by
clicking on "&Options", then on "Open vb.properties".

;)

Just look at lines beginning with: vb.filter and keywordclass...

Do not ask me about how to change colors and such, as that's out of my
skills. I never took the time to figure that out and I did spend some of
time time trying. Not that that means anything, because I look for easy
things without any complications and I just could not figure it out.

Furthermore, once you figure out the "basics of the" .properties files,
you are all set to create new properties and configure SciTE for new
extensions. I think I added the .vbp to the vb.properties file. I want
SciTE to open .vbp files and display *.vbp files in addition to the
..frm, .bas and .mod files.

Once you start using SciTE, I do not think you will ever switch to
another compiler/editor/environment.

One extra comment I will add, is that I stopped opening text (*.txt)
files with NotePad a long long time ago. I open those files, as well
as .log files with SciTE. I also switched the default CRLF line end
characters to the Unix/Linux LF. SciTE has no problem reading CR or
LF or CRLF terminated files. I save ALL files now as LF terminated,
so if you ever get a .txt file from me and it looks a little messed
up inside of NotePad... you now know why.

Cheers and good luck! Hope this helps.

--
Jim Carlock

From: dpb on
Jim Carlock wrote:

> Once you start using SciTE, I do not think you will ever switch to
> another compiler/editor/environment.

What I looked for was a way to change the key mappings -- is that not
possible? W/O a Brief emulation mode there's almost no chance I'll
switch extensively, anyway... :)

I also had a problem that the File Open dialog doesn't show anything w/
the (apparently default?) "All Source" file type; I had to manually go
to the "All files" choice. It did seem to find VB or Fortran files but
failed on Matlab (".m") files unless type in *.m the file selection
field. The Matlab file type was pre-existing in the list, not something
I tried to add, btw.

Oh, how to shorten that list to something approaching a reasonable number???

I've not yet tried to see about getting it to recognize the various
installed compilers.

> One extra comment I will add, is that I stopped opening text (*.txt)
> files with NotePad a long long time ago. I open those files, as well
> as .log files with SciTE. I also switched the default CRLF line end
> characters to the Unix/Linux LF. SciTE has no problem reading CR or
> LF or CRLF terminated files. I save ALL files now as LF terminated,
> so if you ever get a .txt file from me and it looks a little messed
> up inside of NotePad... you now know why.

I've _never_ used NotePad so that's nothing new here... :)

I don't think that's such a wise idea on a Windows platform in general
re: the line termination, though...I know other applications that don't
understand non-MS line terminations also.

I'll try to read the tome a little more at leisure before I pass,
though... :)

I would like to find a Brief replacement as one of the last Windows
updates killed the extended keyboard driver so the key mappings aren't
fully functional w/o it which makes it a pita. I'm not doing any
serious code development at the moment and have retired from active
consulting so probably won't be doing a whole lot but if were guess I'd
have to revert to the old laptop that still has NT4 for the editing
function if can't resolve it on this machine... :(