From: Mike B on

"dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote in message
> Jim Carlock wrote:
>
>> Once you start using SciTE, I do not think you will ever switch to
>> another compiler/editor/environment.
>
> What I looked for was a way to change the key mappings -- is that not
> possible? W/O a Brief emulation mode there's almost no chance I'll switch
> extensively, anyway... :)
>
> I also had a problem that the File Open dialog doesn't show anything w/
> the (apparently default?) "All Source" file type; I had to manually go to
> the "All files" choice. It did seem to find VB or Fortran files but
> failed on Matlab (".m") files unless type in *.m the file selection field.
> The Matlab file type was pre-existing in the list, not something I tried
> to add, btw.
>
> Oh, how to shorten that list to something approaching a reasonable
> number???
>
> I've not yet tried to see about getting it to recognize the various
> installed compilers.
>
>> One extra comment I will add, is that I stopped opening text (*.txt)
>> files with NotePad a long long time ago. I open those files, as well
>> as .log files with SciTE. I also switched the default CRLF line end
>> characters to the Unix/Linux LF. SciTE has no problem reading CR or
>> LF or CRLF terminated files. I save ALL files now as LF terminated,
>> so if you ever get a .txt file from me and it looks a little messed
>> up inside of NotePad... you now know why.
>
> I've _never_ used NotePad so that's nothing new here... :)
>
> I don't think that's such a wise idea on a Windows platform in general re:
> the line termination, though...I know other applications that don't
> understand non-MS line terminations also.
>
> I'll try to read the tome a little more at leisure before I pass,
> though... :)
>
> I would like to find a Brief replacement as one of the last Windows
> updates killed the extended keyboard driver so the key mappings aren't
> fully functional w/o it which makes it a pita. I'm not doing any serious
> code development at the moment and have retired from active consulting so
> probably won't be doing a whole lot but if were guess I'd have to revert
> to the old laptop that still has NT4 for the editing function if can't
> resolve it on this machine... :(

I've been using VEdit for about 20 years. http://www.vedit.com/ I don't
think there is really another editor (exactly/completely?) like it.

From: dpb on
dpb wrote:

> I also had a problem that the File Open dialog doesn't show anything w/
> the (apparently default?) "All Source" file type; I had to manually go
> to the "All files" choice. It did seem to find VB or Fortran files but
> failed on Matlab (".m") files unless type in *.m the file selection
> field. The Matlab file type was pre-existing in the list, not something
> I tried to add, btw.

OK, I figured out the Matlab thingie; it's got a kludge to handle both
Octave (a open-source Matlab-like near clone) as well as Matlab m-files.
It's an either/or flag and is set to default to Octave instead of
Matlab. Since I only use Matlab I set the default in the globals config
file to select it and just deleted the Octave-related stuff. Now finds
*.m files

I still don't follow the "All source" thing -- it shows nothing no
matter what combination of source files I put into a directory or which
subdirectory I browse--Fortran, Matlab, C, C++, VB, ASM, batch, ...
Looks broke to me or I don't have a clue what it's supposed to be doing
but it's surely annoying when it's what comes up automagically... :(

> Oh, how to shorten that list to something approaching a reasonable
> number???

OK, saw that and whacked off most of them, too...

> I've not yet tried to see about getting it to recognize the various
> installed compilers.

> I would like to find a Brief replacement ..

Still no hint of keyboard mappings being user-configurable that I can
see...or indication of the various functions to map to if were :(

Seems like reasonably competent editor w/o great deal of overhead if one
weren't already wedded to something else, though. I'll probably
experiment a little more (and then let it go like everything else I've
tried to switch to over the years :) ).

From: dpb on
Mike B wrote:
> "dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote in message

>> I would like to find a Brief replacement ...
>
> I've been using VEdit for about 20 years. http://www.vedit.com/ I don't
> think there is really another editor (exactly/completely?) like it.

Similarly here w/ Brief; I just checked, this version originally dates
from 1991. I don't know where the original pre-Version 3.x disks are to
see when I first got it but it had to be at least 5-6 years prior; I
loaded it on the first personal PC I had of my own an almost $4K
10(!!!)MHz AT-compatible w/ a whole 1MB RAM, 10-MB HDD and 15" amber
monitor...

Employer had a payroll-deduction interest-free loan program to encourage
individuals to get there own systems rather than going into the
corporate-ownership mode. Of course, we were 100% employee-owned still
at the time...

From: Mike B on

> Mike B wrote:
>> "dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote in message
>
>>> I would like to find a Brief replacement ...
>>
>> I've been using VEdit for about 20 years. http://www.vedit.com/ I
>> don't think there is really another editor (exactly/completely?) like it.
>
> Similarly here w/ Brief; I just checked, this version originally dates
> from 1991. I don't know where the original pre-Version 3.x disks are to
> see when I first got it but it had to be at least 5-6 years prior; I
> loaded it on the first personal PC I had of my own an almost $4K
> 10(!!!)MHz AT-compatible w/ a whole 1MB RAM, 10-MB HDD and 15" amber
> monitor...

Yes, computer prices had dropped substantially by then. I keep in my
drawer the invoice for my first PC. 1984 I bought an 8088 4.77mhz TI Pro
with 640k and 10mb winchester HD (I still have the harddrive here on the
shelf). It did have some BPI accounting software and EasyWriter word
processor, DOS 1.0. $8304.00 No $hit ....

From: dpb on
Mike B wrote:
> Yes, computer prices had dropped substantially by then. I keep in my
> drawer the invoice for my first PC. 1984 I bought an 8088 4.77mhz TI Pro
> with 640k and 10mb winchester HD (I still have the harddrive here on the
> shelf). It did have some BPI accounting software and EasyWriter word
> processor, DOS 1.0. $8304.00 No $hit ....

I couldn't see jumping in on the PC until the AT. A few of the guys
bought the old Kaypro's; I wavered but never bit. A little later I
lusted heartily after the Amiga but likewise never could pry open the
wallet. I did get one of the "luggable" Commodore DX64's w/ the little
4" color screen and integrated keyboard, etc. Taught the older son to
write rudimentary games and sound w/ the sprites and stereo tracks w/
Forth as well as doing some fairly significant work with it...

At about that time we were doing quite a lot of work for the Princeton
Plasma Physics Lab (old fusion reactor program). They were flush w/
(DOE) money and were surplussing an old PDP-11/45 so three of us pooled
and bought it. It had RSX for the OS and Fortran/BASIC/C compilers. We
thought we were in tall cotton altho it filled four 6-ft 19" instrument
racks and took rerouting almost all the cooling of one office A/C unit
in the corner where the lab was to keep the temps in the tolerable
range... :) IIRC it had four of the pizza-oven removable cartridge
drives plus a top-loading 5(?)MB hard drive, 7-track tape and the never
to be forgotten and always inimitable "linear disk" DEC-tape. We kept
it going for quite a number of years until the powers-that-be got tired
of paying the power bills and demanded w/ take it somewhere out of the
office... :(