From: Jim Carlock on
"dpb" wrote:
:
: OK, I figured out the Matlab thingie; it's got a kludge to handle both
: Octave (a open-source Matlab-like near clone) as well as Matlab m-files.
: It's an either/or flag and is set to default to Octave instead of
: Matlab. Since I only use Matlab I set the default in the globals config
: file to select it and just deleted the Octave-related stuff. Now finds
: *.m files
:

OK, thanks. Not sure what your name is.

: I still don't follow the "All source" thing -- it shows nothing no
: matter what combination of source files I put into a directory or which
: subdirectory I browse--Fortran, Matlab, C, C++, VB, ASM, batch, ...
: Looks broke to me or I don't have a clue what it's supposed to be doing
: but it's surely annoying when it's what comes up automagically... :(
:

: Still no hint of keyboard mappings being user-configurable that I can
: see...or indication of the various functions to map to if were :(

Click on Help, then "SciTE Help", then do a CTRL+F (Find) for the
words, "accelerator keys". I found that by searching for "keys" so you
can backtrack if needed to see the other things. You do not need the
quotation marks. I do not use Internet Explorer. I think CTRL+F ends
up as part of Internet Explorer to find things in an opened HTML doc.

You can download and recompile SciTE as needed with VS6. There is no
..NET in it. Other Microsoft compilers a little later than VS6 C++
work as well (I think). You need NOT go that far though... open the
following file:

SciTEGlobal.properties

Click on Options, then "Open Global Options File". The other way to open
that file, involves going to the folder where SciTE gets installed, then
looking for the file listed above.

Also, put a link to SciTE into your Windows SendTo folder. That way you
can right-click on ANY file and get SciTE to open it. Then SendTo folder
is located here:

%userprofile%\sendto

You do NOT need to worry about placing %1 on the ShortCut Target
command line. Windows SendTo and SciTE handle that automatically.

Just make sure that the "Start in:" folder gets the same path as
the SciTE executable so all those .properties files get loaded.

In the SciTEGlobal.properties file, a few lines already exist for
user defined accelerators, or insert them yourself (I used SciTE
for at least 8 years).

<snip file="SciTEGlobal.properties">
# User defined key commands
user.shortcuts=\
Ctrl+Shift+V|IDM_PASTEANDDOWN|\
Ctrl+PageUp|IDM_PREVFILE|\
Ctrl+PageDown|IDM_NEXTFILE|
</snip>

Also, look for the following:

<snip file="SciTEGlobal.properties">
# Define the Lexer menu,
# Each item contains three parts: menu string | file extension | key
</snip>

The "Lexer menu" is that combo-box that displays the types of files
you would like listed (to open those types of files). This is here
for others that want to explore SciTE.

I activated the Read-Only on opening with that line. It comes set
to 0 by default I believe.

<snip file="SciTEGlobal.properties">
read.only=1

# Indentation
tabsize=8
indent.size=8
use.tabs=1
#indent.auto=1
indent.automatic=1
indent.opening=0
indent.closing=0
tab.indents=1
backspace.unindents=1
</snip>

Then, as you found out, the line that starts with:

<snip file="SciTEGlobal.properties">
find.files=
</snip>

configures the file types you want to open. I added .log .tab
..csv and some other file types (not used by anyone else).

Tell me what you want to do when you say keyboard mappings.
I get the feeling you're talking about "accelerator keys".

One last thing I will mention, is there's a programming
language known as LUA that comes with it.

Try this:

Click on Options, then on "Open LUA StartUp Script". It will
likely be blank. So if it is not blank, post back with the
contents. If it is empty, add this:

<snip file="SciTE.lua">
function CopyFQD()
-- fully qualified directory (path only, no filename)
editor:CopyText(props.FilePath)
end

function CopyFQFN()
-- editor:CopyText(props['FileDir'])
editor:CopyText(props.FileDir)
end
</snip>

Then I inserted the following into "SciTEGlobal.properties".
Search for, "if PLAT_WIN" in that file, it should already
exist. Outlook Express takes out the tabs, so all the lead
space below under the "if" statement was a TAB.

<snip file="SciTEGlobal.properties">
if PLAT_WIN
ext.lua.startup.script=$(SciteDefaultHome)\SciTE.lua
command.scite.help="file://$(SciteDefaultHome)\SciTEDoc.html"
# NOTE: Change to 4 if an htmlhelp file gets developed.
command.scite.help.subsystem=2

# first lua command (Runs the script currently loaded)
command.name.1.*=Run Lua Script
command.1.*=dofile $(FilePath)
command.subsystem.1.*=3
command.mode.1.*=savebefore:no

# Load LUA, "copy path" menu item added
command.name.5.*=Copy Folder Path
# command.mode.5.*=subsystem:lua,savebefore:no
command.subsystem.5.*=3
command.mode.5.*=savebefore:no
command.5.*=CopyFQFN()

# platform?
command.name.6.*=Copy FQFN
command.subsystem.6.*=3
command.mode.6.*=savebefore:no
command.6.*=CopyFQD()
</snip>

: Seems like reasonably competent editor w/o great deal of overhead if
: one weren't already wedded to something else, though. I'll probably
: experiment a little more (and then let it go like everything else
: I've tried to switch to over the years :) ).

You will love it. There is nothing better (the VB editor works well
but I love the "regular expression" search and replace in SciTE).

This is an aweful lot. Hope it helps. Create a backup of your files
before you mess with them. ;-) Do one thing at a time and watch what
happens. I do not think I need to explain this to you, specifically,
so I explain it for everyone, just in case someone comes along that
ends up a little too impatient.

That LAST thing involving the LUA scripting provides a way to right
click on the "TAB" (the TAB of the file you are editing/viewing) and
see a "Copy Folder Path" or "Copy FQFN" in the drop-down menu. VERY
VERY comforting to know that you can do that. ;-)

--
Jim Carlock

From: dpb on
Jim Carlock wrote:
> "dpb" wrote:

> OK, thanks. Not sure what your name is.

Oh, "Duane"...I've used initials as usenet id so long that I forget that
there are those who don't know who to relate that to, sorry... :)

> : I still don't follow the "All source" thing --

Since I see no point in this and it doesn't seem to work anyway, I'll
comment the entry out as well and won't see it to complain... :) If I
ever come across an explanation, that'll be soon enough, I suppose.

> : Still no hint of keyboard mappings being user-configurable that I can
> : see...or indication of the various functions to map to if were :(
>
> Click on Help, then "SciTE Help", then do a CTRL+F (Find) for the
> words, "accelerator keys". I found that by searching for "keys" so you
> can backtrack if needed to see the other things. You do not need the
> quotation marks. I do not use Internet Explorer. I think CTRL+F ends
> up as part of Internet Explorer to find things in an opened HTML doc.
>
> You can download and recompile SciTE as needed with VS6. There is no
> .NET in it. Other Microsoft compilers a little later than VS6 C++
> work as well (I think). You need NOT go that far though... open the
> following file:
>
> SciTEGlobal.properties

Yeah, I've been munging on it. It's a good thing don't have to
recompile for two reasons...

a) owing to location I only have (very slow) dialup access so it'd take
a week to download the whole thing, and

b) I don't have a more recent MS C compiler than...well, I don't know
just when, but it predates NT4 I think... :)

I'm primarily Fortran, even to the point of calling Win32 API from it if
necessary altho I don't write GUIs in Fortran; that's what I either use
VB for w/ Fortran backend DLLs or interface w/ Tcl/Tk for some existing
standalone routines where necessary. Primarily, though, I'm only
interested in the computations and write/maintain console apps and
somebody else deals w/ the GUI pieces if they want them badly enough to
do so... :)

....[snip the help book, I'll look at it and study in detail later and
only deal w/ the question asked here--thanks, btw, looks useful stuff]...

> Tell me what you want to do when you say keyboard mappings.
> I get the feeling you're talking about "accelerator keys".

OK, that's part; that does menus (iiuc). I think what I was really
looking for was what I think I found as "user shortcuts" to remap the
basic editing commands themselves to the Brief bindings I'm used to
rather than learn a new set of editor bindings.

I'll make a backup copy of the original properties file(s) and fiddle.
If it breaks, I can always just unzip the download again and start again
if worst come to that... :)

> One last thing I will mention, is there's a programming
> language known as LUA that comes with it.
I'll dig into that at some point if I can get a suitable set of bindings
that I'm happy with. One reason I've been so adamant about staying with
Brief is that over the 20 years or so I have made fairly extensive
modifications to the language-sensitive editors to behave as I wish them
to as it also has a (c-like) macro language that allows virtually any
function to be salted to suit. The only thing it was lacking that I
would have liked that was simply not doable is the syntax-sensitive
fonts/color that is handy. OTOH, in the olden days w/ specific monitor
drivers, there were things like the 44x100 character modes that don't
work under console windows that's a step backwards, for sure, ime.
Also, the real estate taken up by graphical menus, borders, etc., is
often wasted space and "eye candy" that could be made better use of w/
more editing space imo. That's one thing w/ SciTE; it doesn't have
terribly much of that wasted space and gewgaws it appears.

Having that investment and never finding anything that matched my
expectations I just couldn't see the investment in time and effort to
make a move unless absolutely had to. Particularly when still actively
consulting where that effort would have been a diversion from "billable
hours". :) Now that I've (I guess officially) retired from consulting
I can play some w/o losing revenue or sleep while making up for the lost
time when should have been doing something directly related to the
latest deliverables... :)

Anyway, thanks for the tips; it does look interesting and if the key
bindings do let me get the bulk of the feel I'm used to, it just might
work out...

From: Ron Weiner on

"Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> wrote in message

> "Helmut Meukel" <Helmut_Meukel(a)NoProvider.de> wrote in message
>
>> Just to add another basic:
>> BBC-Basic for Windows
>> http://www.compulink.co.uk/~rrussell/bbcwin/bbcwin.html
>
> Now you're talking! That takes me back almost thirty years, to when I was
> just a lad (well, to when I still had a couple years before I hit the
> dreaded "40" mark!). I hadn't realised it was still available, and
> certainly not for Windows. I'm definitely going to purchase that one, no
> matter how much it costs and regardless of whether it turns out to be any
> good or not. In the days of the Commodore 64 (which had a dreadful BASIC!)

Ahhh... Mike you killing me man. :-)

I learned to program on a C=64. All I can say is...

10 POKE 53280, 1
20 POKE 53281, 6
30 PRINT "Lookie here I reversed the screen colors."
40 END

Rdub

the BBC

From: David Kaye on
"Ron Weiner" <rweineratworksritedotcom> wrote:

>10 POKE 53280, 1
>20 POKE 53281, 6
>30 PRINT "Lookie here I reversed the screen colors."
>40 END

Yipes...I remember pokes on the Commodore PET/CBM. I think it was poke
53249,0 or something similar that caused the video section to melt down. This
led to the legend that hackers could destroy computers with malicious code.
Well, they could destroy a PET, but I don't believe any other computer had its
video circuitry directly tied to the memory locations in this way.