From: Jim Carlock on
http://www.freebasic.net/

I am going to promote the above.

1) It is open-source.
2) It supports the following built-in data types:
BYTE
UBYTE
SHORT
USHORT
INTEGER
UINTEGER
LONGINT
ULONGINT (64-bit)

Floating Point Types

SINGLE
DOUBLE

Strings (Up to 2GB in length)

STRING * (Fixed)
STRING (Variable-Length)
ZSTRING (Zero-Terminated)

Unicode Strings

WSTRING (Use the Windows unicode API functions directly)

The information above came from the following page. Rather
than hand-type everything, I am just going to post a link
to the page I pulled the information from:

http://www.freebasic.net/index.php/about?section=features

Arrays are supported with full support for REDIM PRESERVE.
The arrays can take up to 2GB of space.

I tested it once a few years ago. While it lacks the VB5
environment for developing things I can recommend another
editor if anyone is interested.

A few other BASIC compilers may exist. If anyone knows of
such, please post a comment. Please post a comment if you
ever used this compiler or are interested in others.

I want to help everyone and get us all working together
before the VB NNTP groups disappear. I can not stress this
enough, because I never read the HTTP news at Microsoft. I
do NOT care for Microsoft's website and DO NOT see anyone
moving over to HTTP/HTML. Is there anyone moving in that
direction?

I am looking for other open-source compilers as well.

--
Jim Carlock

From: Nobody on
"Jim Carlock" <jcarlock(a)NOSPAM.example.com> wrote in message
> A few other BASIC compilers may exist. If anyone knows of
> such, please post a comment. Please post a comment if you
> ever used this compiler or are interested in others.

FreeBasic development almost stopped or proceeding slowly sine the main
developer left. Last official version was about 2 years ago. It's not
compatible with VB6 code, so manual conversion is needed.

KBasic on the other hand is syntax compatible with VB6, but not GUI
compatible. It's multiplatform and open source. It seems like donate-ware at
the moment, but I am not sure. The developer is currently rewriting it and
would be releasing it soon with a new name, QtBASIC.

http://www.kbasic.com

From: David Kaye on
"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote:

>KBasic on the other hand is syntax compatible with VB6, but not GUI
>compatible. It's multiplatform and open source. It seems like donate-ware at
>the moment, but I am not sure. The developer is currently rewriting it and
>would be releasing it soon with a new name, QtBASIC.
>
>http://www.kbasic.com

THANK YOU! Sounds delicious! I'd been waiting half my life for MS to come up
with versions of VB for non-Windows platforms. Now I won't have to wait any
longer. Thanks again.

From: Tom Shelton on
David Kaye was thinking very hard :
> "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote:
>
>> KBasic on the other hand is syntax compatible with VB6, but not GUI
>> compatible. It's multiplatform and open source. It seems like donate-ware at
>> the moment, but I am not sure. The developer is currently rewriting it and
>> would be releasing it soon with a new name, QtBASIC.
>>
>> http://www.kbasic.com
>
> THANK YOU! Sounds delicious! I'd been waiting half my life for MS to come
> up with versions of VB for non-Windows platforms. Now I won't have to wait
> any longer. Thanks again.

I have played a little with kbasic since seeing it on this group - and
while the language is ok, the actual IDE sucks. The language can use
VB6 syntax (mostly) - it does not use the same ui model and so there is
a significant effort to port any UI releated code. I am happy to hear
there maybe some improvements on the way, and I would consider this a
project to watch for cross platform basic development.

Another non-windows alternative would be Gambas
(http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html). Though, it had some
stability issues when I played with it a year or two ago.

And of course, there is always
http://www.mono-project.com/Language_BASIC.

RealBasic used to give away their basic compiler for Linux - not sure
if that is still on going. But, it seemed a fast and decent
alternative. Plus, it is cross platform. It isn't free though. (well,
except on Linux it was for non-commercial use)

PowerBasic is another commercial basic if you are not overly concerned
about cross platform or open source. Currently, it is windows only
(there have been talks of linux versions for years, but thus far none
has materialized). But, it is fast supports lots of advanced concepts,
and will do com both as a client and a server. I have personally
purchased one of their compilers in the past (for making standard
dll's), and it was excelent.

--
Tom Shelton

From: Helmut Meukel on
"Jim Carlock" <jcarlock(a)NOSPAM.example.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> A few other BASIC compilers may exist. If anyone knows of
> such, please post a comment. Please post a comment if you
> ever used this compiler or are interested in others.

Just to add another basic:
BBC-Basic for Windows
http://www.compulink.co.uk/~rrussell/bbcwin/bbcwin.html

Helmut.