From: jch on
jch wrote:
> Anyone here use Microsoft Security Essentials? I don't have any
> experience with it but wondered how it compared to AVG, Avast, etc.

I decided to try MSE myself. I chose to install it on my older desktop PC
with XPSP3, a 1.6GHz Intel CPU and 1 GB RAM but the CPU is only a single
core. The trial lasted about a day as MSE slowed my PC down to a crawl and
I reinstalled AVG9. With MSE it took 30sec or more to bring up IE8 and
another 30 to go to a link (any link). Other tasks such as clicking on
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel took forever. Just going into Windows
Explorer took almost 45 sec. Terribly slow. Uninstalling MSE, returning to
a previous setpoint via System Restore, and reinstalling AVG9, brought the
system back to its usual quickness. Your mileage may vary especially if you
have a multi-core CPU (eg, dual or quad) but for my system MSE completely
bogged it down.

From: Stephen Wolstenholme on
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 23:39:54 -0400, "jch" <jch(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>jch wrote:
>> Anyone here use Microsoft Security Essentials? I don't have any
>> experience with it but wondered how it compared to AVG, Avast, etc.
>
>I decided to try MSE myself. I chose to install it on my older desktop PC
>with XPSP3, a 1.6GHz Intel CPU and 1 GB RAM but the CPU is only a single
>core. The trial lasted about a day as MSE slowed my PC down to a crawl and
>I reinstalled AVG9. With MSE it took 30sec or more to bring up IE8 and
>another 30 to go to a link (any link). Other tasks such as clicking on
>Start -> Settings -> Control Panel took forever. Just going into Windows
>Explorer took almost 45 sec. Terribly slow. Uninstalling MSE, returning to
>a previous setpoint via System Restore, and reinstalling AVG9, brought the
>system back to its usual quickness. Your mileage may vary especially if you
>have a multi-core CPU (eg, dual or quad) but for my system MSE completely
>bogged it down.

It odd how MSE seems to vary. I use MSE in real time mode on a single
processor XP system and it is does not slow anything down at all.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
From: "Quilljar" not on
I have used MSE with Win 7 64 bit since it came out and have no problems at
all with it.
It is fast and simple and effective for me.
For belt and braces I have Immunet also installed.

From: Brian Cryer on
"Char Jackson" <none(a)none.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:18:15 +0100, "Brian Cryer" <not.here(a)localhost>
> wrote:
<snip>
>>Belt and braces - simply means to play safe by using more than one method
>>(each of which on their own might be sufficient). The expression takes its
>>origin from trousers (or "pants" for those from the US), where either a
>>belt
>>or braces could be used to keep them up, so using both is being doubly
>>safe.
>
> Braces? Took me a second to realize you were referring to suspenders!
> :-)

I'm often amazed at the differences between British English and American
English. I hadn't appreciated that "braces" (British English) were
"suspenders" (American English). In the UK "suspenders" have a slightly
different meaning, referring to the things women wear to hold up stockings.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

From: Brian Cryer on
"gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hello, Quilljar!
>
> You wrote on Sun, 18 Apr 2010 15:03:51 +0100:
>
> Q> I have used MSE with Win 7 64 bit since it came out and have no
> problems
>
> Q> For belt and braces I have Immunet also installed.
>
> Whats this?? Wonders /new/ bell's and whistles.

Immunet - AntiVirus, http://www.immunet.com/. Never heard of myself so would
wonder whether its legit.

Belt and braces - simply means to play safe by using more than one method
(each of which on their own might be sufficient). The expression takes its
origin from trousers (or "pants" for those from the US), where either a belt
or braces could be used to keep them up, so using both is being doubly safe.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last