From: Char Jackson on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:18:15 +0100, "Brian Cryer" <not.here(a)localhost>
wrote:

>"gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Hello, Quilljar!
>>
>> You wrote on Sun, 18 Apr 2010 15:03:51 +0100:
>>
>> Q> I have used MSE with Win 7 64 bit since it came out and have no
>> problems
>>
>> Q> For belt and braces I have Immunet also installed.
>>
>> Whats this?? Wonders /new/ bell's and whistles.
>
>Immunet - AntiVirus, http://www.immunet.com/. Never heard of myself so would
>wonder whether its legit.
>
>Belt and braces - simply means to play safe by using more than one method
>(each of which on their own might be sufficient). The expression takes its
>origin from trousers (or "pants" for those from the US), where either a belt
>or braces could be used to keep them up, so using both is being doubly safe.

Braces? Took me a second to realize you were referring to suspenders!
:-)

From: Dustin Cook on
"Brian Cryer" <not.here(a)localhost> wrote in

> "Char Jackson" <none(a)none.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:18:15 +0100, "Brian Cryer"
>> <not.here(a)localhost> wrote:
> <snip>
>>>Belt and braces - simply means to play safe by using more than one
>>>method (each of which on their own might be sufficient). The
>>>expression takes its origin from trousers (or "pants" for those from
>>>the US), where either a belt
>>>or braces could be used to keep them up, so using both is being
>>>doubly safe.
>>
>> Braces? Took me a second to realize you were referring to suspenders!
>> :-)
>
> I'm often amazed at the differences between British English and
> American English. I hadn't appreciated that "braces" (British English)
> were "suspenders" (American English). In the UK "suspenders" have a
> slightly different meaning, referring to the things women wear to hold
> up stockings.

Nice.. I learned something today. :)

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: gufus on
Hello, Quilljar!

You wrote on Sun, 18 Apr 2010 15:03:51 +0100:

Q> I have used MSE with Win 7 64 bit since it came out and have no problems

Q> For belt and braces I have Immunet also installed.

Whats this?? Wonders /new/ bell's and whistles.

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: Max Wachtel on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:38:29 -0300, Dustin Cook
<bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> "Brian Cryer" <not.here(a)localhost> wrote in
>
>> "Char Jackson" <none(a)none.invalid> wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:18:15 +0100, "Brian Cryer"
>>> <not.here(a)localhost> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Braces? Took me a second to realize you were referring to suspenders!
>>> :-)
>>
>> I'm often amazed at the differences between British English and
>> American English. I hadn't appreciated that "braces" (British English)
>> were "suspenders" (American English). In the UK "suspenders" have a
>> slightly different meaning, referring to the things women wear to hold
>> up stockings.
>
> Nice.. I learned something today. :)

Yes, there are many differences between British and American English.
--
This post was created using Opera(a)USB: http://www.opera-usb.com
Virus Removal Instructions