From: tcroyer on
"Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 15:10:31 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
> : No new camera releases means fewer readers so they've taken to
> : reviewing....P&S's!! First Dpreview with that 12 pieces of junk
> : review and the Amateur Photographer wasting pages on a Fuji Superzoom
> : with a TINY sensor (what else is new?). C'mon Nikon, Canon, Pentax,
> : Sony, Oly-forget it, I forgot, Olympus bailed out of DSLRs.
>
> Rich, my daughter gets far better pictures with her P%Ses (a long line of
> them: with three kids (4, 6, and 8) to keep up with, she tends to drop her
> cameras a lot) than we've ever seen you get with whatever cameras you
> favor.
> My wife and I (and I guess most of the denizens of these newsgroups) have
> permanently switched to DSLRs. But that doesn't mean that a decent P&S (of
> which there are many) doesn't have its place. In many circumstances
> they're
> exactly the right choice. The P&S Troll (for example) keeps trying to
> posit a
> war between DSLR and P&S users, but it's useful to remember that he's
> insane.
> No such affliction has your good self in its grip, right?
>
> Bob

I agree with Bob very much.

At the risk of paraphrasing an old saw: "The best camera is the one you have
with you when photo opportunity arises."

I have a dSLR, a P&S, and a superzoom intermediate.

To be sure, the dSLR will produce finer quality images and it has a great
deal of capability that the other cameras don't have (especially with its
additional lenses). But it's also expensive (I wouldn't put it at risk
without a really good reason) and, with all its gear, is heavy. I use it
when I can set up and when I can concentrate on subject and imaging
(landscapes, portraits, and macro shots).

The other two cameras act as "grab and go" cameras. I don't like to be with
out a camera whereever I am, but I have to consider size and camera presence
when I'm out. The P&S is almost a pocket camera; it doesn't intimidate
anyone. The intermediate is a bit bigger, but it can, if called on,
accommodate auxillary lenses to do long distance (albeit somewhat limited in
quality), and, at the other focal end, macro shots.

The latter two cameras allow me to explore and sample a lot of situations
(including snapshots) that I can then re-shoot with the dSLR.

All in all, I take a lot of shots with all three cameras.

By the way, the dSLR is a Sony Alpha 380 (I seldom print any photo larger
than 8 1/2 X 11); the intermediate is an Olympus SP550UZ bought on eBay, and
the P&S is a Kodak Z915.

By the way, if I had unlimited funds, I'd drop the Sony (as much as I like
it) and move to a Mamiya DM40 or a Hasselblad HD4D-40. Years ago, I had a
Mamiya M645 and I love the intermediate format. But my wife would crack me
over head with it if I spent that kind of money on a camera (leaving me
without either head or camers).

I also have a Leica Z2X that gets considerable use.

From: tony cooper on
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 16:23:52 -0700 (PDT), DanP <dan.petre(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jul 2, 7:42�am, Vance <vance.l...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 1, 10:32�pm, Outing Trolls is FUN! <o...(a)trollouters.org>
>> wrote:

>> > Counting the sales of cell-phones as cameras is like counting the sales of
>> > microwave-ovens as clocks.
>>
>> A point for the Troll! �Always give credit where and when due.
>>
>> Vance
>
>But my phone cost me less than my P&S.

Is that really correct? The cost of your phone was subsidized by the
requirement to subscribe to a provider. The real cost of your phone
is the amount you paid for the phone itself *plus* the monthly connect
fees for the term of your contract. Your P&S was a one-time cost.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: John Navas on
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 20:41:21 -0400, in
<m0mv26dqgsohl1hkoga5r55de2sn56ne7c(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 16:23:52 -0700 (PDT), DanP <dan.petre(a)gmail.com>
>wrote:

>>But my phone cost me less than my P&S.
>
>Is that really correct? The cost of your phone was subsidized by the
>requirement to subscribe to a provider. The real cost of your phone
>is the amount you paid for the phone itself *plus* the monthly connect
>fees for the term of your contract. Your P&S was a one-time cost.

But it's nonetheless a sunk cost, and the incremental cost of the camera
is close to zero.

That said, I paid $180 for my Android phone with no contract or subsidy,
considerably more for my compact digital camera.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John Navas on
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 20:09:58 -0400, in
<V-KdnTeBFMbETLLRnZ2dnUVZ_vOdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, "tcroyer"
<tom(a)solidus-ts.com> wrote:

>I agree with Bob very much.
>
>At the risk of paraphrasing an old saw: "The best camera is the one you have
>with you when photo opportunity arises."

Amen.

--
Best regards,
John

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail."
-Abraham Maslow
From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 16:23:52 -0700 (PDT), DanP <dan.petre(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Jul 2, 7:42 am, Vance <vance.l...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> A point for the Troll! Always give credit where and when due.
>>>
>>> Vance
>>
>>But my phone cost me less than my P&S.
>
> Is that really correct? The cost of your phone was subsidized by the
> requirement to subscribe to a provider. The real cost of your phone
> is the amount you paid for the phone itself *plus* the monthly connect
> fees for the term of your contract. Your P&S was a one-time cost.

You would be correct if you were analyzing the total cost of telephone
service, including the phone. to figure the true cost of just the phone,
factor in the cost of the service, if no subsidy was given. In a supermarket
are placement incentives income or a cost reduction.

--
Peter