From: Robert Coe on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:08:33 -0400, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net>
wrote:
: "John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
: news:i0l22e$vfm$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
: > Vance wrote:
: >> On Jul 1, 10:32 pm, Outing Trolls is FUN! <o...(a)trollouters.org> wrote:
: >>> Counting the sales of cell-phones as cameras is like counting the sales
: >>> of
: >>> microwave-ovens as clocks.
: >>
: >> A point for the Troll! Always give credit where and when due.
: >
: > Yes, a good'un. My cameras, and cars, TVs and telephones also have clocks
: > in them. Over clocked I am!
:
:
: IOW you never actually know hat time it is.

My most reliable time source is still my old quartz Seiko (never off by more
than a few seconds a month). But the next best is my cell phone, because the
service provider downloads the time. It doesn't read in seconds, but I don't
have to worry about changing time zones or going on or off of daylight time.
;^)

Bob
From: Robert Coe on
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 21:44:21 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
wrote:
: On 2010-07-03 21:34:35 -0700, John A. <john(a)nowhere.invalid> said:
:
: > On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 21:33:17 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
: > wrote:
: >
: >> In article <8i2036daaj5pqc78j3abbrpu1n9kjpuhje(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
: >> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
: >>
: >>>> That said, I paid $180 for my Android phone with no contract or subsidy,
: >>>> considerably more for my compact digital camera.
: >>>
: >>> Your phone is no more than a paperweight if you do not have - and pay
: >>> for - a carrier. You will pay someone something to use that phone.
: >>> Every month.
: >>
: >> it depends on the phone. some are very functional without service, they
: >> just can't make or receive calls.
: >>
: >> for example, an iphone without service is basically an ipod with a
: >> camera and gps.
: >
: > Aren't there some phones that can do VOIP via WIFI?
:
: Yup, I can use Skype with my Android via WiFi or (for now)3G with Verizon.
: GPS, Email, web browser, all work without issue.

How complete is its Wi-Fi capability? Can it, for example, handle WPA2 and get
authenticated by a RADIUS server? To get past the RADIUS servers in our shop,
it would have to be a member of an Active Directory domain. Even on my home
network, which uses WPA2-PSK, it would have to be able to supply the
pre-shared key.

Bob
From: John Navas on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 00:20:25 -0400, in
<8i2036daaj5pqc78j3abbrpu1n9kjpuhje(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 18:57:40 -0700, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>That said, I paid $180 for my Android phone with no contract or subsidy,
>>considerably more for my compact digital camera.
>
>Your phone is no more than a paperweight if you do not have - and pay
>for - a carrier. You will pay someone something to use that phone.
>Every month.

It actually works quite nicely on Wi-Fi, even for phone calls.

>There is no recurring charge after the initial outlay for a camera.

There's no recurring charge for the camera in my phone either.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John Navas on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 08:27:00 -0400, in
<6cv0365oc0pim2gktn0cvuuoc043omkce9(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 23:03:59 -0700, Savageduck
><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>>It has proved handy to have Skype available via WiFi approximately 4
>>times when I didn't have my laptop nearby, when not at home.
>
>For what purpose? I use Skype to talk to my brother in Denmark. It's
>great when calling overseas at no charge. I make all US calls for
>free on my regular phone (Verizon).

For free?! Really?!

From: John Navas on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 01:24:18 -0500, in
<c5udnf473PSPtK3RnZ2dnUVZ_rydnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Rich <none(a)nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Sorry, it was long so I didn't read it carefully enough. But I should
>have. I congratulate your daughter on getting pictures of kids with her
>P&S's since it is without doubt the number one reason I've seen people
>use (who have kids) as to why they move to DSLRs, to take pictures of
>kids, in motion.

Then they've been sold a bill of goods, because dSLRs are no more (and
arguably less) well suited to that then compact digitals.

"The best camera is the one you have with you [out and ready]". The
compact digital, unlike a dSLR, easily remains in the purse.