From: nospam on
In article <0jb236dj2psp20e9k8kdfd3jt48hg80bj9(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >> It's effectively a time payment agreement, not a subsidy per se.
> >
> >Not at all. the price for the service is that same, regardless of which
> >phone I use.
>
> That's because the carrier is overcharging you for service without a
> bundled phone. Suggest you consider a more customer friendly carrier
> like T-Mobile.

unfortunately, t-mobile's coverage and plans are not necessarily the
best. you get what you pay for.
From: Peter on

From: John Navas on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 21:12:48 -0400, in
<4c3131ad$0$5557$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>>> That's because the carrier is overcharging you for service without a
>>> bundled phone. Suggest you consider a more customer friendly carrier
>>> like T-Mobile.

> Barf on T-Mobile coverage and service. It may be fine for you, but
> would not work for me. You see I am not as expert at using phones as you.

That explains it then. ;)

> Explain your points. Neither makes any accounting sense.

Check out T-Mobile USA pricing, and you will see a price difference
between service without a bundled phone and service with a bundled
phone. If you own carrier isn't doing that, then it's pocketing the
difference. Elementary, my dear Peter. ;)

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: nospam on
In article <mmc236tm7phe02fl8a8nirsb252hv20qg9(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> Check out T-Mobile USA pricing, and you will see a price difference
> between service without a bundled phone and service with a bundled
> phone. If you own carrier isn't doing that, then it's pocketing the
> difference. Elementary, my dear Peter. ;)

it depends how long you keep a phone. most people buy a new phone every
couple of years, which means it may actually be less expensive to get a
subsidized phone.

and then there's the coverage issue.
From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:42:55 -0700, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 18:46:09 -0400, in
><p73236t9p46tecv44c0o3p6qpf8vtji90n(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>I am particularly uninterested in a phone that uses one of those
>>things about the size of a banana that clips on the ear.
>
>That's a shame, because Bluetooth can be quite handy.

I can't imagine how. People wear that banana thing all day and stand
there and talk into space when they get a call. I think that's rude.
When I get a phone call I move away from other people. I've never
thought it much trouble to pull out my phone.

I find it really annoying to be standing in line and being forced to
listen to the person next to you yammering away about their personal
business. The worst is those Nextel things where you have to listen
to *both* sides the conversation.

>>As far as I'm concerned, the telephone peaked in ergometric design
>>when the single handset replaced the "candlestick". Phones could then
>>be held in one hand as one walked around within the limited range of
>>the cord.
>
>I think ergometrics have continued to improve:
> * smaller
> * lighter

Inconsequential advances in my opinion. I never found handsets to be
particularly burdensome to lift. Well, one of my early mobiles - the
Motorola brick - was a problem.

Ergometrically, smaller and lighter is no particular advantage over
the old t-bone wired handset unless you have a physical problem.
Smaller and lighter can be more difficult to grasp. Smaller and
lighter is a benefit when it comes to being able to carry the phone in
your pocket, but that is not ergometrics.

> * much better displays

Again, inconsequential. The idea is to speak to the other party, not
to watch the screen.

> * Caller ID

Unimportant. I always answer. If it's someone I don't want to talk
to, I hang up. It solves the problem.

> * complete address books

That's actually a bit negative. I don't know my son or my daughter's
telephone number because I rely on the address book. If I had to call
them from a landline I wouldn't know the number.

> * call logs

One of those features that has very little use. I don't need a log to
tell me that I called my wife or the dentist this morning.

> * speed dialing

So you save punching a few digits and you save a second or two. Can
you honestly say you've improved your life by doing so? Without it
will your finger tire by the end of the day? Will you have done
anything worthwhile with those seconds?

> * voice dialing

Vide ut supra.

>etc.

I do use the calendar etc.

>>The cordless phone was a welcome improvement, but it only
>>encouraged longer phone conversations. I don't like long phone
>>conversations.
>
>Sounds like you don't like phone conversations much at all. ;)

Phone conversations are fine. Long phone conversations are
unnecessary. Especially unnecessary are the conversations that run
long because the other person is driving, bored, and makes calls just
alleviate the boredom of being in traffic.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida