From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 20:04:54 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>> > Everything includes price and coverage, both of which are very good.
>>
>> For you! Not for me!
>
>nor me either.
>
>tmobile 3g coverage is worse than at&t, which is worse than
>sprint/verizon. and yes, i've tried them all.

John likes to defend his little camera by saying that you can't
compare results unless you've used his specific brand and model and
have his specific skills.

In this specific area, T-Mobile has slightly better coverage than
Verizon. However, for some reason, T-Mobile has a great deal of
trouble making connection if you are inside a building. All providers
are blocked by some buildings, but T-Mobile has more trouble in
buildings where other services do not.

When my wife worked, one of her office mates had T-Mobile and my wife
has Verizon. The office mate's husband would call his wife on my
wife's phone because his wife's phone would not pick up the call.
When the office mate would walk outside of the building, her T-Mobile
phone worked fine.

I have no idea if the same situation exists in other areas.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: nospam on
In article <u1j236lg5p2fdg6lvi1p6sipo20vv370j0(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> That car with no engine can do a gazillion things that do not involve
> transporting you from Point A to Point B. You can run the power
> windows up and down, you can recline your seat, you can use the cigar
> lighter, you can open the glove box to see if the little light goes
> on, and you can look at yourself in the rearview mirror and trim your
> nose hairs. But would you want a car with no engine?

that's even sillier than before. the *main* purpose of a car is to go
someplace.

the main purpose of a smartphone varies per person, but even so, the
phone functionality is just one app out of hundreds of thousands of
apps. it can send/receive email, browse the web, play music and movies,
play games, etc. i already listed these and you keep ignoring it.

in fact, on the iphone 4, not only can you shoot hd video, but you can
edit it with imovie, all on the phone itself. here's an example that's
*very* well done (and it includes behind the scenes info). it did not
require *any* cellular connection to produce:

<http://vimeo.com/12819723>

> Mostly, with an iphone that doesn't make phone calls, you can look
> cool with your iphone.

it doesn't matter, i look cool without it. :)

there's a lot that can be done with an iphone or android phone that
does not involve phone calls, and in fact, as *just* a phone, they are
not as good as a more traditional dumbphone. however, as a mobile
internet device or a portable music/video player, it can't be beat.
From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 20:17:45 -0700, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 23:13:17 -0400, in
><u1j236lg5p2fdg6lvi1p6sipo20vv370j0(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Mostly, with an iphone that doesn't make phone calls, you can look
>>cool with your iphone.
>
>Tony, Tony, Tony! The horse is not only dead but rotting and stinking
>up the joint! You've been told some of the many things a smartphone can
>usefully do that don't require phone service, so why are you still
>beating that long long long since dead horse?

See J. Clarke's comment.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 20:43:48 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <u1j236lg5p2fdg6lvi1p6sipo20vv370j0(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> That car with no engine can do a gazillion things that do not involve
>> transporting you from Point A to Point B. You can run the power
>> windows up and down, you can recline your seat, you can use the cigar
>> lighter, you can open the glove box to see if the little light goes
>> on, and you can look at yourself in the rearview mirror and trim your
>> nose hairs. But would you want a car with no engine?
>
>that's even sillier than before. the *main* purpose of a car is to go
>someplace.

And the main purpose of a phone is to make and receive telephone
calls.

>there's a lot that can be done with an iphone or android phone that
>does not involve phone calls, and in fact, as *just* a phone, they are
>not as good as a more traditional dumbphone.

There's a selling point.

>however, as a mobile
>internet device or a portable music/video player, it can't be beat.

Well, then, call it a "mobile internet device" or a "portable
music/video player". Don't call it a phone if is isn't a phone.

What you have is a butterfly that you are still calling a caterpillar
just because it started out as a caterpillar.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 20:04:54 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
> wrote:

>>> For you! Not for me!
>>
>>nor me either.
>>
>>tmobile 3g coverage is worse than at&t, which is worse than
>>sprint/verizon. and yes, i've tried them all.
>
> John likes to defend his little camera by saying that you can't
> compare results unless you've used his specific brand and model and
> have his specific skills.
>
> In this specific area, T-Mobile has slightly better coverage than
> Verizon. However, for some reason, T-Mobile has a great deal of
> trouble making connection if you are inside a building. All providers
> are blocked by some buildings, but T-Mobile has more trouble in
> buildings where other services do not.
>
> When my wife worked, one of her office mates had T-Mobile and my wife
> has Verizon. The office mate's husband would call his wife on my
> wife's phone because his wife's phone would not pick up the call.
> When the office mate would walk outside of the building, her T-Mobile
> phone worked fine.
>

> I have no idea if the same situation exists in other areas.

I can only address the areas I use my phone in. I used to have ATT, but had
too many service issues. My daughter had T-Mobile and had many service
issues. I am not saying Verizon is perfect, but after switching to Verizon I
have had fewer issues.

--
Peter