From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:45:40 -0700, John Navas
> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 18:53:07 -0400, in
>><4c311690$1$5500$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
>><peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>There ya go!
>>>If I agree to take the phone & 3G service Verizon will subsidize the
>>>phone
>>>cost.
>>
>>It's effectively a time payment agreement, not a subsidy per se.
>
> It is a subsidy if the price of the phone is artificially low in order
> to get you to purchase the phone from that provider and to use their
> service.

Please. Navas is never wrong. Just ask him.

--
Peter

From: John Navas on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:58:45 -0400, in
<vme2365c5aaoaecooe3rejdqflnbp6n799(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 18:40:27 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
>wrote:

>>the engine is a substantial part of the car's functionality. for some
>>people, cellular is a small part of what a smartphone can do.
>
>Small, possibly, but usually essential. I note that no one has said
>that they have a phone but don't use it as a telephone. And, I don't
>expect anyone to say this is the case unless they haven't paid the
>bill and their phone service has been cut off.

I know people using both iPhones and Android phones without regular
phone service as combo iPod, Wi-Fi Internet device, and Wi-Fi phone.

>It's pretty silly to try to make a case that phone service is not part
>of a functioning phone when everyone has phone service on their phone.

Not so silly -- you're ignoring Wi-Fi.
What is silly is you stubbornly beating this long since dead horse. ;)

>>an iphone or android phone with no cellular plan is still functional on
>>wifi, and when there's no wifi, as an address book,
>
>What do you do with an address book if you can't make calls?

Email. Birthdays. Addresses. Websites. Notes. The list is long.

>>with pay as you go, you can pay for the occasional call, if needed.
>
>And you will. You will want phone service if you have a phone.

No, _you_ will want phone service,
others will be quite content with Wi-Fi.

You have a bad habit of projecting your own values onto others.

--
Best regards,
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]
From: John Navas on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 22:00:34 -0400, in
<j4f236ppg3ih8v0iqdikt82e7tqfsuqptt(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 18:47:56 -0700, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>Flogging the horse long after death is your style. ;)
>
>You say as you continue to drag the horse out of the barn. All of my
>posts have been in reply to someone else's comment.

Likewise. The horse is, nonetheless, long since dead.

--
Best regards,
John

"There are three kinds of men.
The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."
-Will Rogers
From: John Navas on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 22:34:29 -0400, in
<4c3146b4$0$5547$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> In article <mmc236tm7phe02fl8a8nirsb252hv20qg9(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
>> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Check out T-Mobile USA pricing, and you will see a price difference
>>> between service without a bundled phone and service with a bundled
>>> phone. If you own carrier isn't doing that, then it's pocketing the
>>> difference. Elementary, my dear Peter. ;)
>>
>> it depends how long you keep a phone. most people buy a new phone every
>> couple of years, which means it may actually be less expensive to get a
>> subsidized phone.
>>
>> and then there's the coverage issue.
>
>Coverage isn't important. Price is everything. <\end sarcastic tag>

Everything includes price and coverage, both of which are very good.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John Navas on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 22:39:35 -0400, in
<4c3146b4$2$5547$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:45:40 -0700, John Navas
>> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 18:53:07 -0400, in
>>><4c311690$1$5500$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"

>>>It's effectively a time payment agreement, not a subsidy per se.
>>
>> It is a subsidy if the price of the phone is artificially low in order
>> to get you to purchase the phone from that provider and to use their
>> service.
>
>Please. Navas is never wrong. Just ask him.

An old saying in litigation:
When you have the facts on your side, pound on the facts.
When the law is on your side, pound on the law.
When neither the law nor the facts are on your side,
pound on the table (and your opponent).