From: John Navas on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:29:42 -0400, in
<81b236hnqeko42fcti688l6evm22mafg7k(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:42:55 -0700, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>That's a shame, because Bluetooth can be quite handy.
>
>I can't imagine how.

You might want to actually try it. ;)

>People wear that banana thing all day and stand
>there and talk into space when they get a call.

I don't wear mine all day --
I put it on when I have a need for hands free, working, driving, etc.

>I think that's rude.

It can be, but that's a situation issue, not a technology issue.

>When I get a phone call I move away from other people. I've never
>thought it much trouble to pull out my phone.

But then you lose the use of at least one hand, and you can't be
driving.

>I find it really annoying to be standing in line and being forced to
>listen to the person next to you yammering away about their personal
>business.

Are you also annoyed by overhearing conversations?
Must everyone be silent in public to make you happy? ;)

>The worst is those Nextel things where you have to listen
>to *both* sides the conversation.

The problem there is the loud speaker and signal tone.
But even standard cell calls would be less obtrusive if people didn't
feel the need to talk so loudly (thanks to crummy cell phones).

>>I think ergometrics have continued to improve:
>> * smaller
>> * lighter
>
>Inconsequential advances in my opinion.

Fair enough. "Different strokes for different folks."

>Ergometrically, smaller and lighter is no particular advantage over
>the old t-bone wired handset unless you have a physical problem.

I disagree. Don't presume to make judgements for me.

>> * much better displays
>
>Again, inconsequential. The idea is to speak to the other party, not
>to watch the screen.

I disagree. Better display makes the phone easier for me to use.

>> * Caller ID
>
>Unimportant. I always answer. If it's someone I don't want to talk
>to, I hang up. It solves the problem.

I disagree. Don't presume to make judgements for me.

>> * complete address books
>
>That's actually a bit negative. I don't know my son or my daughter's
>telephone number because I rely on the address book. If I had to call
>them from a landline I wouldn't know the number.

I disagree. Don't presume to make judgements for me.

>> * call logs
>
>One of those features that has very little use. I don't need a log to
>tell me that I called my wife or the dentist this morning.

I disagree. Don't presume to make judgements for me.

>> * speed dialing
>
>So you save punching a few digits and you save a second or two. Can
>you honestly say you've improved your life by doing so?

Yes. It's much easier for me to press a key than to remember and punch
in the entire phone number, especially when using extended numbers.

>> * voice dialing
>
>Vide ut supra.

Ditto.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John Navas on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:31:29 -0400, in
<mcd236t9o2rj0p5ebf4irq5k1276et9pb5(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:45:40 -0700, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 18:53:07 -0400, in
>><4c311690$1$5500$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
>><peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>There ya go!
>>>If I agree to take the phone & 3G service Verizon will subsidize the phone
>>>cost.
>>
>>It's effectively a time payment agreement, not a subsidy per se.
>
>It is a subsidy if the price of the phone is artificially low in order
>to get you to purchase the phone from that provider and to use their
>service.

it's actually full price, with a small down payment.

From: John Navas on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:35:31 -0400, in
<ild236t54s3pufhkqse7554m906cdec4qg(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:46:23 -0700, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 19:45:34 -0400, in
>><v67236ta22j9drfgdcbm3klui5sa11ggee(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
>><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>>>That's like saying an automobile is still functional without an engine
>>>if all you want to do is sit in it and play the radio as long as the
>>>battery lasts.
>>
>>Terrible analogy.
>>That position is getting increasingly shaky.
>>Time to declare victory and move on.
>
>That's your style, John. Not mine.

Flogging the horse long after death is your style. ;)

From: nospam on
In article <4be2361c286i98462mubglcakuj4pf1jrt(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >>It's effectively a time payment agreement, not a subsidy per se.
> >
> >It is a subsidy if the price of the phone is artificially low in order
> >to get you to purchase the phone from that provider and to use their
> >service.
>
> it's actually full price, with a small down payment.

assuming that the unsubsidized price is not artificially inflated.

it's like when companies say msrp $1500 and street price ends up being
$999. since nobody pays $1500, saying you saved $500 is bullshit.
From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 18:40:27 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <9gd2365187f5j4holf34vc4ma6o38bn3j4(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> >it's like saying you bought a car but don't pay for onstar.
>>
>> How so? The automobile without an engine is not functional as a means
>> of transportation.
>
>the engine is a substantial part of the car's functionality. for some
>people, cellular is a small part of what a smartphone can do.

Small, possibly, but usually essential. I note that no one has said
that they have a phone but don't use it as a telephone. And, I don't
expect anyone to say this is the case unless they haven't paid the
bill and their phone service has been cut off.

It's pretty silly to try to make a case that phone service is not part
of a functioning phone when everyone has phone service on their phone.

>> The automobile with an installed, but not
>> operative, OnStar system is still functional as a means of
>> transportation.
>
>exactly.
>
>an iphone or android phone with no cellular plan is still functional on
>wifi, and when there's no wifi, as an address book,

What do you do with an address book if you can't make calls?

> calendar, ebook
>reader, portable gaming device and countless other things.
>
>with pay as you go, you can pay for the occasional call, if needed.

And you will. You will want phone service if you have a phone.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida