From: nospam on
In article <i0rhrq12o7q(a)news3.newsguy.com>, J. Clarke
<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:

> Headsets of _any_ kind are _forbidden_ in a lot of places.

where? as long as *both* ears are not blocked, it's fine.

> What is _required_ is a handsfree set built into the car that uses
> speakers built into the car.

not in any place i've been. they're all advertising bluetooth headsets
and the occasional wired one.
From: nospam on
In article <4c314a6b$2$5487$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, Peter
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

> >>Coverage isn't important. Price is everything. <\end sarcastic tag>
> >
> > Everything includes price and coverage, both of which are very good.
>
> For you! Not for me!

nor me either.

tmobile 3g coverage is worse than at&t, which is worse than
sprint/verizon. and yes, i've tried them all.
From: John Navas on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 22:43:33 -0400, in <i0rhrq12o7q(a)news3.newsguy.com>,
"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:

>On 7/4/2010 9:35 PM, nospam wrote:

>> handsfree headsets while driving are now required in a lot of places,
>> and even when not driving, it's very nice to not need to hold a phone
>> up to one's ear.
>
>Headsets of _any_ kind are _forbidden_ in a lot of places.
>
>What is _required_ is a handsfree set built into the car that uses
>speakers built into the car.

Where?

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John Navas on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 22:57:03 -0400, in
<4c314a6b$2$5487$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>> Everything includes price and coverage, both of which are very good.
>
>For you! Not for me!

Point taken.

--
Best regards,
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]
From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 19:15:48 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <vme2365c5aaoaecooe3rejdqflnbp6n799(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> >the engine is a substantial part of the car's functionality. for some
>> >people, cellular is a small part of what a smartphone can do.
>>
>> Small, possibly, but usually essential. I note that no one has said
>> that they have a phone but don't use it as a telephone.
>
>i'll say that.
>
>> And, I don't
>> expect anyone to say this is the case unless they haven't paid the
>> bill and their phone service has been cut off.
>
>wrong.
>
>> It's pretty silly to try to make a case that phone service is not part
>> of a functioning phone when everyone has phone service on their phone.
>
>this is about smartphones, not a flipphone that does little else than
>make calls.
>
>iphones and android phones can do a *lot* without any phone service at
>all. in fact, apple and at&t have instructions on how to use an iphone
>without service as an ipod (i.e., when selling it to someone else).
>basically, you just remove the sim card.
>
>> >an iphone or android phone with no cellular plan is still functional on
>> >wifi, and when there's no wifi, as an address book,
>>
>> What do you do with an address book if you can't make calls?
>
>look up an address, maybe look up a number and give it to someone else.

That's handy. You carry a phone that doesn't make calls so you can
retrieve a phone number so someone else can make your call. I wonder
if they'll build an ad campaign around that.

>as i said, there's a gazillion things an iphone can do that doesn't
>involve the phone part.

That car with no engine can do a gazillion things that do not involve
transporting you from Point A to Point B. You can run the power
windows up and down, you can recline your seat, you can use the cigar
lighter, you can open the glove box to see if the little light goes
on, and you can look at yourself in the rearview mirror and trim your
nose hairs. But would you want a car with no engine?

Mostly, with an iphone that doesn't make phone calls, you can look
cool with your iphone.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida