From: Peter on
"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> On 7/5/2010 12:30 AM, tony cooper wrote:
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:16:31 -0700, nospam<nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> except this isn't just a phone, it's a multipurpose device. the phone
>>> is one of many functions. some people use the phone part a lot, others
>>> don't use it much at all.
>>
>> "I don't use the phone much" is quite different from "I don't have
>> phone service". I'm not discussing the amount of time spent on
>> various features. I'm saying that if it doesn't have phone service
>> it's silly to call it a phone.
>
> At best it's an unplugged phone.
>
> I guess that if one really wants a PDA one could buy a Treo or the like
> with no service, but it seems an expensive way to get one.

I have an old PDA that had handwriting recognition. With the help of a CF
card it worked as a fine GPS.. If it had phone capability I would have
continued using it.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:19:27 -0700, John Navas

>>So are you now down to arguing semantics and labels? ;)
>
> It's always been about that. If it doesn't have phone service, it
> shouldn't be called a phone.

What do I call my antique gum ball machine. It doesn't have gum ball
service.

What do I call my old coffee maker, that I have discontinued the coffee
service for.
(Please don't say junk)

--
Peter

From: Peter on

> I don't worry about that with my wife, though. I would just worry
> when her blue dot was at Neiman-Marcus or Nordstrom's or
> Bloomingdale's.

Reminds me of that story about the individual who didn't report his stolen
credit card. He said the thief spent less than his wife.

--
Peter

From: tony cooper on
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:01:58 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:19:27 -0700, John Navas
>
>>>So are you now down to arguing semantics and labels? ;)
>>
>> It's always been about that. If it doesn't have phone service, it
>> shouldn't be called a phone.
>>

>What do I call my antique gum ball machine. It doesn't have gum ball
>service.

"Decor", or if you want to be a bit fancier: "d�cor".

>What do I call my old coffee maker, that I have discontinued the coffee
>service for.
>(Please don't say junk)

"Victim of budget slashing" if it's an office machine and you are now
too cheap to furnish free coffee for the staff.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Peter on
"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 01:26:00 -0400, in
> <v3r236te2rnkaaf2arsh3n9iket99h41h1(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>>>Roger that.
>>
>>Semantics and labels are important. If you want someone to hand you a
>>knife, you don't ask for a fork. You use the right label.
>
> Oh hell, I know I shouldn't do this, but ...
>
> You should have thought that one through in advance --
> a fork is still a fork even when it's not being used for its intended
> purpose, likewise a knife. My daughter once made a science project with
> a couple of forks, and they were still called forks. Likewise a phone
> is still a phone even when not making calls. The name is what it is,
> not what it's currently being used for.
>
> By your logic a tree falling in the forest with nobody around not only
> would be silent, but not even a tree. ;)
>
> NOW HAVE THE LAST WORD, AND THEN PLEASE LET US BURY THE HORSE!!! ;)

Uhm!

Is there someone forcing you to answer?

--
Peter