From: TaliesinSoft on
On 2010-08-01 22:35:11 -0500, TaliesinSoft said:

> On 2010-07-30 12:36:57 -0700, TaliesinSoft said:
>> I do have a problem with my little finger occasionally touching the
>> pad, resulting in the action being interpreted as two fingered.
> Since stating the above I've found that placing the Magic Touchpad not
> right next and in alignment with my keyboard but a bit to the right and
> rotated clockwise about thirty degrees minimizes the problem of the
> little finger accidentally touching the pad. The positioning and
> rotation sets things so that my hand is squarely aligned with the pad.

And continuing....

The little finger problem rarely occurs now. I guess I've become a bit
more accustomed to positioning my hand correctly over the trackpad.
Also by now I've become quite used to the trackpad and no longer miss
using the mouse.

Current conclusion is that the trackpad is indeed great but it does
take some willingness to get used to it before passing judgement.

--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

From: Lloyd Parsons on
In article
<michelle-D8D0C0.09113506082010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.e
xample.com>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <8c2dr6Fr4oU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft(a)me.com> wrote:
>
> > Current conclusion is that the trackpad is indeed great but it does
> > take some willingness to get used to it before passing judgement.
>
> I've been using mine for nine days now, and there are a few idiosyncrasies
> I've not fully gotten accustomed to yet.
>
> For instance, you can click, and then shift drag to select text just as
> with a mouse. But you can't double-click to select a word, and then shift
> drag to select text by the word. (Sure you can double-click and hold to
> drag-select text, but it does it by the character, and not by the word.)
>
> My biggest concern is that the touch pad is too sensitive and will
> sometimes treat the lightest touch as a tap. I could turn off
> tap-to-click, but I find that the pressure needed to click is much more
> than with a mouse, and a bit more than I like.

Can you not adjust the sensitivity?

--
Lloyd

From: JF Mezei on
How does such a track pad work for graphic design applications such as
illustrator, freehand, photoshop ?

Because I have a Mac pro with ill conceived bluetooth antenna, I have
both magic mouse (for scrolling) and mighty mouse (for mousing) because
I find the magic mouse too imprecise. (blue tooth not reliable).
From: Lloyd Parsons on
In article
<michelle-B54355.10490806082010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.e
xample.com>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <lloydparsons-A92058.12141006082010(a)idisk.mac.com>,
> Lloyd Parsons <lloydparsons(a)mac.com> wrote:
>
> > > My biggest concern is that the touch pad is too sensitive and will
> > > sometimes treat the lightest touch as a tap. I could turn off
> > > tap-to-click, but I find that the pressure needed to click is much
> > > more than with a mouse, and a bit more than I like.
> >
> > Can you not adjust the sensitivity?
>
> No. I'm sure there will be a third-party utility available at some point
> that will do it, though. Magic Prefs for the Magic Mouse lets you adjust
> the sensitivity for the touch surface of that mouse.

I'm a bit surprised at that. I thought the laptop trackpads all had
sensitivity adjustments, and that this one, since it is pretty much
described as a bigger, external one, would also.

--
Lloyd

From: TaliesinSoft on
On 2010-08-06 13:06:48 -0500, Lloyd Parsons said:

> In article
> <michelle-B54355.10490806082010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.e
> xample.com>,
> Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

>>> Can you not adjust the sensitivity?
>>
>> No. I'm sure there will be a third-party utility available at some point
>> that will do it, though. Magic Prefs for the Magic Mouse lets you adjust
>> the sensitivity for the touch surface of that mouse.
> I'm a bit surprised at that. I thought the laptop trackpads all had
> sensitivity adjustments, and that this one, since it is pretty much
> described as a bigger, external one, would also.

The system preferences control panel for the Magic Trackpad allows one
to adjust tracking speed, double click speed, and scrolling speed.
There isn't any option to change the touch sensitivity.

--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas