From: TaliesinSoft on
On 2010-08-06 11:11:35 -0500, Michelle Steiner said:

> I've been using mine for nine days now, and there are a few idiosyncrasies
> I've not fully gotten accustomed to yet.
> For instance, you can click, and then shift drag to select text just as
> with a mouse. But you can't double-click to select a word, and then shift
> drag to select text by the word.

If you select a word with a double click and then select another word
with a shift click all of the words in between will be selected. To me
this is more convenient than a drag.

--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

From: Steve Hix on
In article <8c3984F36nU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft(a)me.com> wrote:

> On 2010-08-06 11:11:35 -0500, Michelle Steiner said:
>
> > I've been using mine for nine days now, and there are a few idiosyncrasies
> > I've not fully gotten accustomed to yet.
> > For instance, you can click, and then shift drag to select text just as
> > with a mouse. But you can't double-click to select a word, and then shift
> > drag to select text by the word.
>
> If you select a word with a double click and then select another word
> with a shift click all of the words in between will be selected. To me
> this is more convenient than a drag.

Less fiddly, too.
From: TaliesinSoft on
On 2010-08-06 20:57:43 -0500, Steve Hix said:

> In article <8c3984F36nU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft(a)me.com> wrote:
>> On 2010-08-06 11:11:35 -0500, Michelle Steiner said:
>>
>>> I've been using mine for nine days now, and there are a few idiosyncrasies
>>> I've not fully gotten accustomed to yet.
>>> For instance, you can click, and then shift drag to select text just as
>>> with a mouse. But you can't double-click to select a word, and then shift
>>> drag to select text by the word.
>>
>> If you select a word with a double click and then select another word
>> with a shift click all of the words in between will be selected. To me
>> this is more convenient than a drag.
> Less fiddly, too.

I would say especially less fiddly when there are a number of lines of
text between the start and stop points.

--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

From: TaliesinSoft on
On 2010-08-06 23:16:08 -0500, Michelle Steiner said:

> With the mouse, I could double-click to select a word, and, without lifting
> the button, drag to select text word by word, in all one fluid motion. I
> can't do that with the Magic Trackpad unless I click instead of tap. And
> it takes a lot more effort to click with the pad than it does with a mouse.
> Doing it with tapping does almost the same thing, but letter by letter
> rather than word by word.

Perhaps I'm not understanding something. With the Magic Trackpad if I
tap-tap on a word that word becomes highlighted. If I then shift-tap on
another word, either before or after the one highlighted, all of the
words in between and including the one tapped on become highlighted. No
clicking is needed.

--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

From: TaliesinSoft on
On 2010-08-07 00:00:39 -0500, Michelle Steiner said:

[continuing in our exchange regarding highlighting s stream of words
using the Magic Trackpad]

> Right, but I'm not talking about shift-tap or shift-click; I'm talking
> about drag-selecting by the word instead of by the character.
> For instance, if I wanted to select "talking about" in the previous
> paragraph, I could, as you suggested, double-tap in "talking" and then
> moving the mouse to somewhere in "about", and shift-tap.
> Or I could double-click in talking, and without letting up on the click,
> drag to somewhere in "about" and release the click. I can't do that with
> tapping, though. I can do it letter-by-letter, but not word-by-word.

I'm not fully understanding the above.

Just now I ran an experiment

To select a stream of text I can tap-tap on one word, fully selecting
that word, and then shift-tap on another word, expanding the selection
to both words and all of the text in between. In the above quoted text
I did a tap-tap on "Right" and followed that with a shift-tap on
"talking", and the result was that "Right, but I'm not talking" was
highlighted.

Alternatively, to select a stream of text I can double click on a word,
highlighting that word, and without letting up on the click drag to a
another word, expanding the selection to both words and all of the text
in between. In the above quoted text I did a double click on "Right"
and without relasing the second click draged over to "talking" and then
released, and the result was that "Right, but I'm not talking" was
highlighted.

Alternatively, to select a stream of text I can click or tap anywhere
and then follow that with a shift-click or shift-tap elsewhere and that
will select all of the text in between, but on a character basis and
not a word basis. In the above quoted text I clicked in the middle of
"Right" and then did a shift-click in the middle of "talking" and the
result was "ght, but I'm not talk".