From: Wes Groleau on
On 08-06-2010 23:59, TaliesinSoft wrote:
> I would say especially less fiddly when there are a number of lines of
> text between the start and stop points.

Two things I hate: When I drag off the edge to scroll, and when
I almost get to where I want, the system "notices" I'm scrolling
a long way and "helps" me be suddenly speeding up and scrolling
to Mars.

Or when a system "notices" that I have clicked on the arrow a bunch of
times, and "helps" me by moving the pointer into the scroll bar.
My next two to four clicks go two to four screens instead of two to four
lines.

Grrr!

--
Wes Groleau

Franco's Statues Almost Gone
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/russell?itemid=1011
From: TaliesinSoft on
On 2010-08-07 09:31:41 -0500, Michelle Steiner said:

[responding to my having stated]

>> Alternatively, to select a stream of text I can double click on a word,
>> highlighting that word, and without letting up on the click drag to a
>> another word, expanding the selection to both words and all of the text
>> in between. In the above quoted text I did a double click on "Right" and
>> without relasing the second click draged over to "talking" and then
>> released, and the result was that "Right, but I'm not talking" was
>> highlighted.
> Correct again. But try that with tapping instead of clicking; that's what
> I'm complaining about.

Just now I double-tapped on "highlighting" and then followed that with
a shift-tap on word, the result being "highlighting that word" being
highlighted. No clicking, only tapping. So what am I missing?

--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

From: TaliesinSoft on
On 2010-08-07 16:35:53 -0500, Michelle Steiner said:

> I want to be able to double-tap on a word and *drag select word by word*
> without lifting my finger after the second tap (i.e., the second tap is
> tap-and-hold).
> I cannot figure out how to do that with an Magic Touchpad.
> I can double-click on a word and *drag select word by word*, but I can't do
> that with double-tapping.
> Try it both ways with drag selecting, and put aside shift-clicking for the
> moment.

Thanks for the clarification. I too am unable to "drag select word by
word" with with just tapping instead of clicking using the Magic
Trackpad. But I'll admit to being curious as to why you find this
preferable to the tap-tap to select a word followed by a shift-tap on
another word as a means of selecting all of the intervening text. But
I'll also be fair and admit that each of us has personal preferences
that we find important.

--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

From: Wes Groleau on
On 08-07-2010 17:58, TaliesinSoft wrote:
> curious as to why you find this preferable to the tap-tap to select a
> word followed by a shift-tap on another word

For me the answer might be because I can't use the shift key
unless I put down my coffee cup.

--
Wes Groleau

Change is inevitable. We need to learn that "inevitable" is
neither a synonym for "good" nor for "bad."
-- WWG
From: Steve Hix on
In article <i3kscm$gal$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Wes Groleau <Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:

> On 08-07-2010 17:58, TaliesinSoft wrote:
> > curious as to why you find this preferable to the tap-tap to select a
> > word followed by a shift-tap on another word
>
> For me the answer might be because I can't use the shift key
> unless I put down my coffee cup.

You need a coffee hat. Preferably insulated.