From: Davoud on
TaliesinSoft:
> >> Here I am, nine days into my Magic Trackpad... it's a keeper!

Davoud:
> > To each his own, let a thousand flowers bloom, all that, what? Here I
> > am, 12 years into PowerBooks and MacBook Pro's (two of the former and
> > three of the latter just now) and I still don't like trackpads.
> > Especially when they don't have primary and secondary buttons.

TaliesinSoft
> The Magic Trackpad can indeed be configured to have primary and
> secondary buttons, the primary being a click (as opposed to a tap)
> almost anywhere on the pad, and the secondary being a click in the
> lower righthand corner.

You can't fool me. Those are not buttons. One is a gesture and the
other is an ill-defined region that may be easily be clicked by
accident.

You have only my word for it that I have read about configuring the
trackpad on my MBP's and I am quite familiar with the various gestures,
taps, and clicks, and the ill-defined secondary-click areas in the
lower-left and lower-right corners (but not the top-left or top-right,
where I am much less likely to click by accident), and the like. I
finally settled on two fingers for a secondary click. Too bad the
latter often doesn't work with the thumb and index finger unless they
are in a position that is certain to cause wrist injury over time. Even
though I am a bit hard-of-hearing, the trackpad click, while perhaps
necessary for feedback, is to loud for my taste. Better it should be a
synthesized electronic click, adjustable in level down to zero.

This is particularly annoying when I am working in my observatory at
night with the display on its dimmest setting and my eyes intently
watching the display as I control a robotic focuser on my telescope.
But my observatory is small and the laptop table is small and has no
room for a mouse. <http://www.primordial-light.com/deepsky8.html>

Nope, I'm as open-minded and willing to give things a chance as I can
be; my dislike of the trackpad is based on experience rather than
ideology. Also notice I said that I /dislike/ the trackpad, not that I
/hate/ it. In the end I do what I have to do to make the machine do my
bidding.

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm