From: Peter on
"MC" <any(a)any.any> wrote in message
> mmyvusenet wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>>
>> The weekend I took this photo of this other species, from this
>> different perspective:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4740405941/
>>
>> Thanks for your technical comments about photography.
>
> It can't move. It's a static subject. Should be one of the easiest
> subjects to photograph. However, you still managed to keep most of it
> out of focus. Depth of field is awful. Also, most flower photographs
> are boring (been done a million times before) unless you portray them
> in an unusual or unique way.

It's the first time he did one. Let's see one of your shots for comparison.

--
Peter

From: Paul Furman on
mmyvusenet wrote:
> Hello:
>
> The weekend I took this photo of this other species, from this different
> perspective:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4740405941/
>
> Thanks for your technical comments about photography.

Not bad. Next time remember it's all about the background. Of course the
flower should be posed nicely (which isn't hard) but the background is
what makes or breaks a shot like this. Pick a reasonable angle for the
flower then move around within the acceptable range and see what the
background does to the composition... ignore the flower while doing this
at first and you'll probably be fine.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Mirabilis+jalapa
-nothing really great on the first page, or the second or third...
uninspiring... it's not easy to make such a common thing exciting and I
don't do it often either, although that's a big part of what I do with a
camera; photographing flowers.

Working on the idea of the background... this is a Peruvian native, and
extremely common garden plant across the world, so it would be very
interesting to me to see this plant in it's native habitat, a little bit
of meaningful context. That would be a valuable image indeed. Does it
grow under trees? Show those trees in the background and give a sense of
their character... does it grow in the mountains? show them in the
background, seaside? show it!
From: MC on
Peter wrote:

> "MC" <any(a)any.any> wrote in message
> > mmyvusenet wrote:
> >
> > > Hello:
> > >
> > > The weekend I took this photo of this other species, from this
> > > different perspective:
> > >
> > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4740405941/
> > >
> > > Thanks for your technical comments about photography.
> >
> > It can't move. It's a static subject. Should be one of the easiest
> > subjects to photograph. However, you still managed to keep most of
> > it out of focus. Depth of field is awful. Also, most flower
> > photographs are boring (been done a million times before) unless
> > you portray them in an unusual or unique way.
> >

> It's the first time he did one. Let's see one of your shots for
> comparison.

New on here are we? If not you obviously do not keep up. FYI he has
done flowers before (or tried to as the case may be).

MC
From: David J Taylor on
"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:23:32 -0500, "mmyvusenet"
> <mmyvusenet(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>The weekend I took this photo of this other species, from this different
>>perspective:
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4740405941/
>

> Excellent lighting, composition, focusing and depth of field.
>
> A fine shot. Well done!

Seconded!

From: rwalker on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 07:42:23 +0100, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:23:32 -0500, "mmyvusenet"
>> <mmyvusenet(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>>The weekend I took this photo of this other species, from this different
>>>perspective:
>>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4740405941/
>>

>> Excellent lighting, composition, focusing and depth of field.
>>
>> A fine shot. Well done!
>
>Seconded!

Thirded!