From: GrtArtiste on
On Jun 25, 12:42 pm, Bill <wsblev...(a)email.com> wrote:
> Since Ubuntu Linux has apparently went the way of releasing buggy-as-hell
> software, I reluctantly installed Windows 7 on my PC. Much to my surprise, I
> find that Microsoft has released a free AV for Windows users.

One man's meat is another man's poison...yada..yada..yada.

If Ubuntu is too buggy for you, then you either have hardware
conflicts or you're doing it wrong.

GrtArtiste
From: FromTheRafters on
"David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:05:48 -0400, FromTheRafters
> <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>> It's cute, but doesn't really make sense.
>
> Do you remember MSAV? Microsoft purchases an anti-virus program, but
> fails to maintain it. Why would anyone expect anything different this
> time?

That makes more sense.

My objection to the previous was that an OS is designed to facillitate
the execution of programs of the operator's choice to do what the
operator wants. The security programs almost always work to limit that -
protecting the operator from executing "bad code" or limiting what said
code has access to. Not all malware is written to exploit software
flaws, they're just programs that the operator shouldn't have executed.
The statement seems to imply that the malware *depends* on the
insecurity of the OS and it is foolish to trust someone who can't design
a secure OS to begin with to decide what programs you should and should
not execute.

It reminds me of the phrase "Is it warmer in the summer than it is in
the city?".

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org>

| On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:05:48 -0400, FromTheRafters <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>> It's cute, but doesn't really make sense.

| Do you remember MSAV? Microsoft purchases an anti-virus program, but
| fails to maintain it. Why would anyone expect anything different this
| time?

| Regards, Dave Hodgins

MSAV was an OEM of Central Point Anti Virus (CPAV). Central Point Software was bought by
Peter Norton and was eventually integrated into Norton AV before being acquired by
Symantec.

MSE (and it predecessor Live OneCare) Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (MRT) and
Windows Defender are based upon the orginal kernel (mpengine.dll) of GeCAD's RAV (but use
different signature bases).

The Microsoft anti malware product manager told me "Of course it's not exactly the GeCAD
RAV engine any longer - the code has evolved a bit since 2003!"

--
Dave

From: Man-wai Chang on
> The Microsoft Security Essentials seems to work rather well from what I have
> read, and from a personal opinion the interface is simple and functional.
>
> Anyone else using this product?

It requires activation. Still using Avira Personal.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34
From: David Kaye on
Bill <wsblevins(a)email.com> wrote:

>Anyone else using this product?

Yes. It works really well.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: TT Livescan Update Info - 6-24-2010
Next: BD (simply put)